Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Writing Concise Sentences - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Writing Concise Sentences (611 Views)

Court Sentences Student Of Lead City University, Ibadan, To Death By Hanging / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate / Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Writing Concise Sentences by Welrez(m): 11:23pm On Mar 05, 2015
''Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.''
- William Strunk

Whether it's a two-word quip or a 200-word bear, a sentence must be a lean, thinking machine. Here are some notes towards efficiency and concisement in writing.

PRUNING THE REDUNDANT
Avoid saying the same thing twice. The following are examples and the correct forms:
Many uneducated citizens who have never attended school continue to vote for better schools.
Many uneducated citizens continue to vote for better schools.

A phrase that repeats itself such as:
True fact
Fact
Twelve noon
Twelve/noon
I saw it with my own eyes.
I saw it with my eyes.
A person who is honest.
An honest person
A total of 14 birds
14 birds
Consensus of opinion
Consensus
Free gift
Gift
End result
Result
Inspite of the fact
Although
In the field of economics/law enforcement
In economic/law enforcement
In the event of
If
Summarise briefly
Summarise
Period of four days
Four days
Personal opinion
Opinion
Personally, I think/feel
I think/feel
Particular interest
Interest
Shorter/longer in length
Shorter/longer
Surrounded on all sides
Surrounded
In the future to come
In the future
There is no doubt but that
No doubt
Puzzling in nature
Puzzling
Return again
Return

ABBREVIATED REDUNDANCIES

ATM machine ATM
CPU unit CPU
HIV virus HIV
AIDS syndrome AIDS

REDUCING CLAUSES TO PHRASES, PHRASES TO SINGLE WORDS
Notre Dame College, which was founded in 1871, is the premier all-men's college in Nigeria.
Founded in 1871, Notre Dame College is the premier all-men's college in Nigeria.

Recommending that a student copy from another student's paper is not something he would recommend.
He won't recommend that a student copy from another student's paper.

PHRASES YOU CAN OMIT
Be in the look out for important sounding phrases that add nothing to the meaning of a sentence.
1. All things considered
All things considered, Warri's woodlands are in better shape than ever.
Warri's woodlands are in better shape than ever.
2. As a matter of fact
As a matter of fact, there are more woodlands in Lagos than there were in 1897.
There are more woodlands in Lagos than there were in 1897.
3. As far as I'm concerned
As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for further protection of woodlands.
Further protection of woodlands is not needed.
4. Have a tendency to
This policy has a tendency to isolate some communities.
This policy tends to isolate some communities.
5. Due to the fact that
Due to the fact that their habitats are restored, forest creatures are also re-establishing their population bases.
Because their habitats are restored, forest creatures are also re-establishing their population bases.

INTENSIFIERS THAT DON'T INTENSIFY
Avoid using words such as really, quite, very, extremely, severely when they are not necessary. It's probably enough to say that the salary increase is inadequate. Does saying that it is severely inadequate introduce anything more than a tone of hysteria?
Nairalanders, feel free to add and make suggestions. You can also bring forward problems for treatment. Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Writing Concise Sentences by sholay2011(m): 12:06am On Mar 06, 2015
Nice one.
Re: Writing Concise Sentences by Welrez(m): 6:04am On Mar 06, 2015
sholay2011:
Nice one.
Thanks..

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Punishment Is This??? / ENUGU- (scholarship) Job Opportunities Through Self Empowermnent / Project Topics And Materials In Purchasing And Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.