Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association (1200 Views)

Aggrieved Nigerian Doctor Exposes Rot In Nigeria's Medical System With Tweets / Bennet Omalu Receives Highest American Medical Association Award / Law And Health: Rights Of Patients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by debbie(f): 12:27pm On Mar 06, 2015
It is with sadness I write this article concerning the carelessness of all areas of health workers...doctors, nurses and pharmacist.
Last week a friend lost her pregnancy which is due to be delivered by this week, all because of the carelessness of a hospital located in the Ikorodu area of Lagos state. She had contractions and reported at the hospital, the nurses refused to attend to her. The suggested she go back home because her EDD (EXPECTED DATE OF DELIVERY) is not that day. Not knowing she was in labour. after two days she went back and the contraction grew worse.....only for them to discover that the baby was already weak inside, eventually she gave birth to a dead baby.
OBSERVATIONS
1.The refused to conduct a physical test or any scan to know the state of the baby and heartbeat, pressure and the rest.
2. The supposed hospital was licensed by NMA yet with no scan dept or labouratory for tests.
3. The nurses on duty were all sleeping when she reported at the hospital and complained of the contraction.
4.There was a high level of carelessness on the part of the owner of the hospital....only what he is interested in is the money to be deposited before any attention will be given to her.

SECONDY,
A friend died of artificial kidney infection. I call it artificial because it was as a result of the drugs she took in 2011 during her NYSC in the northern part of Nigeria. In Jos part of Plateau state, she had cold and went to the hospital.....after which the prescribed drugs for her. The pharmacist that did that,mistakingly gave her double of what her dosage should have been. After some months she fell sick and returned to the eastern part...Eventually the test showed she had kidney infection as a result of careless medication given to her. Over time her kidney became weak and couldn't carry her...She died yesterday.

Now my issue with Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) is this,
1.what is the duty of this body to protect the lives of the patients who fall victim to the carelessness of health workers?
2.I have come to realize that NMA is more interested in their pockets and all about strike...I stand to be corrected though.
3.What should be done to avoid unnecessary deaths caused by these agents of devil.....
4.To the doctors and nurses out there, why is it that there is no sanctioning or some form of punishment when such a thing happens?

To the general body of NMA,it is time to rise above these issues and find a lasting solution to them, if actually you are out to save lives rather than killing people.

I wont fail to mention the wicked nurses and health workers we see in both state and federal owned hospitals. We are at the mercy of their inhuman treatments. You need to see the way they talk to you, explain to you or even insult you when you ask a simple question.
I will also like to draw the attention of the NMA to the health workers at the GBAGADA GENERAL HOSPITAL. Most of them treat patients like animals, young doctors are being assigned to handle major health cases even when they can not explain something's to you. Some of the nurses and midwives insult the pregnant women that come for antenatal daily.
Even the old men and women that didn't attend formal education are not spared, especially when they need to be handled with care.....all you see is women and men playing around with ones life, as if anyone chose to be in the hospital for treatment.

I am calling on them to sit up and find a solution to all these problems. If they can not do their job then I wonder why they exist.
Thank you.

We are sick and tired

1 Like

Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by phlamesG: 12:30pm On Mar 06, 2015
debbie:
It is with sadness I write this article concerning the carelessness of all areas of health workers...doctors, nurses and pharmacist.
Last week a friend lost her pregnancy which is due to be delivered by this week, all because of the carelessness of a hospital located in the Ikorodu area of Lagos state. She had contractions and reported at the hospital, the nurses refused to attend to her. The suggested she go back home because her EDD (EXPECTED DATE OF DELIVERY) is not that day. Not knowing she was in labour. after two days she went back and the contraction grew worse.....only for them to discover that the baby was already weak inside, eventually she gave birth to a dead baby.
OBSERVATIONS
1.The refused to conduct a physical test or any scan to know the state of the baby and heartbeat, pressure and the rest.
2. The supposed hospital was licensed by NMA yet with no scan dept or labouratory for tests.
3. The nurses on duty were all sleeping when she reported at the hospital and complained of the contraction.
4.There was a high level of carelessness on the part of the owner of the hospital....only what he is interested in is the money to be deposited before any attention will be given to her.

SECONDY,
A friend died of artificial kidney infection. I call it artificial because it was as a result of the drugs she took in 2011 during her NYSC in the northern part of Nigeria. In Jos part of Plateau state, she had cold and went to the hospital.....after which the prescribed drugs for her. The pharmacist that did that,mistakingly gave her double of what her dosage should have been. After some months she fell sick and returned to the eastern part...Eventually the test showed she had kidney infection as a result of careless medication given to her. Over time her kidney became weak and couldn't carry her...She died yesterday.

Now my issue with Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) is this,
1.what is the duty of this body to protect the lives of the patients who fall victim to the carelessness of health workers?
2.I have come to realize that NMA is more interested in their pockets and all about strike...I stand to be corrected though.
3.What should be done to avoid unnecessary deaths caused by these agents of devil.....
4.To the doctors and nurses out there, why is it that there is no sanctioning or some form of punishment when such a thing happens?

To the general body of NMA,it is time to rise above these issues and find a lasting solution to them, if actually you are out to save lives rather than killing people.

I wont fail to mention the wicked nurses and health workers we see in both state and federal owned hospitals. We are at the mercy of their inhuman treatments. You need to see the way they talk to you, explain to you or even insult you when you ask a simple question.
I will also like to draw the attention of the NMA to the health workers at the GBAGADA GENERAL HOSPITAL. Most of them treat patients like animals, young doctors are being assigned to handle major health cases even when they can not explain something's to you. Some of the nurses and midwives insult the pregnant women that come for antenatal daily.
Even the old men and women that didn't attend formal education are not spared, especially when they need to be handled with care.....all you see is women and men playing around with ones life, as if anyone chose to be in the hospital for treatment.

I am calling on them to sit up and find a solution to all these problems. If they can not do their job then I wonder why they exist.
Thank you.

We are sick and tired
they are so incompetent nd negligent its annoying sad
Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by Handsomeemmy(m): 12:33pm On Mar 06, 2015
Seriously, the NMA and their doctors are not different from the average Nigerian politicians, they toil will the lives of people for their own selfish gain.
I lost my Dad last year August because of their strike actions,some of them sees themselves as Semi-god .
Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by debbie(f): 12:34pm On Mar 06, 2015
I am sick and tired of their excuses.....of poor pay this and that. Yet outside the country patients are treated with uttermost priority.
Cant there be an end to this?
phlamesG:
they are so incompetent nd negligent its annoying sad
Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by phlamesG: 12:38pm On Mar 06, 2015
Well talking about poor pay i blame d govt in that regard
debbie:
I am sick and tired of their excuses.....of poor pay this and that. Yet outside the country patients are treated with uttermost priority.
Cant there be an end to this?
Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by debbie(f): 12:39pm On Mar 06, 2015
What about those of them that run private hospitals....what is their problem?
Who licensed them? is there a body that checks and regulates the quality of health workers they employ...especially nurses?
phlamesG:
Well talking about poor pay i blame d govt in that regard
Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by allycat: 3:51pm On Mar 06, 2015
First Sorry about your losses. You however keep mentioning NMA in your post. First patient you repeatedly mentioned the nurses behaviour, NMA has absolutely no control over nurses. Second scenario you mentioned a pharmacist, again NMA has no business with pharmacist. Then you said NMA licenses hospitals once again wrong, NMA does not license hospitals.The only thing NMA has any control over is a doctor. Nurses, pharmacists, laboratories, registering hospitals is no business of NMA a. However if you have a grouse with any doctor,call a lawyer and make a formal report to NMA and he will be made to face a panel. NMA is a professional body that covers doctors and doctors behavior alone. Nursing council oversees nurses, pharmacist have their own council while hospitals are liscenced by state health boards not NMA. NMA can only discipline a doctor who has a case before its disciplinary council.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by Coldplay007(f): 7:20am On Mar 07, 2015
allycat:
First Sorry about your losses. You however keep mentioning NMA in your post.

First patient you repeatedly mentioned the nurses behavior, NMA has absolutely no control over nurses. Second scenario you mentioned a pharmacist, again NMA has no business with pharmacist.

Then you said NMA licenses hospitals once again wrong, NMA does not license hospitals. The only thing NMA has any control over is a doctor. Nurses, pharmacists, laboratories, registering hospitals is no business of NMA.

However if you have a grouse with any doctor,call a lawyer and make a formal report to NMA and he will be made to face a panel. NMA is a professional body that covers doctors and doctors behavior alone.

Nursing council oversees nurses, pharmacist have PCN while hospitals are licensed by state health boards not NMA. NMA can only discipline a doctor who has a case before its disciplinary council.

@OP! That's all the info you need
Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by Nobody: 7:59am On Mar 07, 2015
allycat:
First Sorry about your losses. You however keep mentioning NMA in your post. First patient you repeatedly mentioned the nurses behaviour, NMA has absolutely no control over nurses. Second scenario you mentioned a pharmacist, again NMA has no business with pharmacist. Then you said NMA licenses hospitals once again wrong, NMA does not license hospitals.The only thing NMA has any control over is a doctor. Nurses, pharmacists, laboratories, registering hospitals is no business of NMA a. However if you have a grouse with any doctor,call a lawyer and make a formal report to NMA and he will be made to face a panel. NMA is a professional body that covers doctors and doctors behavior alone. Nursing council oversees nurses, pharmacist have their own council while hospitals are liscenced by state health boards not NMA. NMA can only discipline a doctor who has a case before its disciplinary council.
You didn't address the last issue of young doctors handling cases they're not used to. In which ever way, several patients have died through some doctors negligence, incessant strikes and too much love for deposit money especially in the private clinics. God bless Nigeria. ........................................buy 1GB MTN Data plan for N1,200 only. 30 days duration. 24/7 services available. Call: 08107873795. Thanks & God bless.
Re: Death Of Patients: A Warning To Nigeria Medical Association by sisisioge: 9:02am On Mar 07, 2015
No be small thing o! Most of these half-baked healthcare practitioners are not only ill-behaved they have little or no knowledge of medicine. They are mostly concerned about the title and money...Dr & Nurse(Matron)!
That's why most of them mess up when given the opportunity to practise in the western world where every facets of healthcare is taken seriously.

Let's hope Nigeria will get there someday...

For as long as corruption reigns in this country, nothing will be fixed in that area unless ofcourse someone in a high place gets messed by them(long shot though, international healthcare is a right!) May God help prune the system.

(1) (Reply)

6 Things You Can Do To Have A Flat Stomach / I Need Help From Serious Migraines / Get Your 100% Safe Penis Enlargement Pump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.