Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist (1106 Views)

Chuwee Aka Dapi, A Soldier Killed By Boko Haram On Sunday (pic) / 38 People Dead: Boko Haram On The Run, Chadian Forces In Pursuit / Military: Fleeing Boko Haram On Rampage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by DRANOEL(m): 4:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
ALMOST two months ago, Abubakar Mohammed fled from Boko Haram as it overran his home town in north-eastern Nigeria. Since then he has been among the wandering ranks of 1m-plus displaced people. But a glimmer of hope now shines on the horizon. Monguno, the fishing village on the edge of Lake Chad that he calls home, was liberated by Nigeria’s army last month. Mr Mohammed is now planning to return.

Monguno is one of about 30 villages reportedly reclaimed from Boko Haram since February 7th. That was the day Nigeria announced a delay of the presidential election until the end of March to give the army time to quell the insurgency, which would have prevented a vote in large parts of three north-eastern states. After years of rampaging almost without opposition, Boko Haram now faces a fight. [b]This change is well timed for the government, since it faced the prospect of electoral defeat before the poll was postponed, not least because of its failure to provide better security.

Locals wonder why it has taken so long. Army spokesmen say better arms have arrived. Many are said to have come from Russia after America blocked the sale of sophisticated weapons, such as attack helicopters, because of human-rights abuses by Nigerian soldiers.

[/b]New tactics are helping. Demoralised battalions have been replaced and new generals have taken command on the front line, says Mike Omeri, an army spokesman. British-trained units have been praised for advances in Adamawa, one of the three most afflicted states.

The army also cites better co-operation with neighbouring countries, which are gathering an 8,700-strong force to fight the rebels. Troops stationed along the borders with Cameroon and Niger are trying to block escape routes. Chadian forces, which entered Nigeria in January, have reclaimed territory. (They helped defeat fighters linked to al-Qaeda in Mali in 2013, and reckon they could end this insurgency on their own.)

But regional relations are still tense. Chad does not take part in joint operations with Nigeria, whose government wants to claim victories for itself. And far from being defeated, Boko Haram has responded with a string of suicide-bombings and attacks on countries that have joined the fray. One of its recent videos shows two victims being beheaded.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21645737-west-african-forces-may-last-be-gaining-ground-back-foot
cc: Seun, Lalasticala, Ngwakwe, Ikenna351, Afam4eva, OAM4J, maclatunji
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by Bitterleafsoup: 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
Interesting how the Economist is all over Nigeria lately.
Now that white people have explained why we are beating boko down, the ignorant ones can stop asking "why now are we winning"
I tire of APC Boko Harem sympatizers finding any reason to bad mouth our President.
No matter in April Nairaland will be different when Tinubu sacks e-gift and other sycophants.
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by DRANOEL(m): 4:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
you gotta love the professionalism of the Economist, they tell it like it is; your positives, they tell you, your negatives, they tell you.
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by Nobody: 4:14pm On Mar 06, 2015
The Economist labelled Mandela a terrorist back in the day. They still are anti-black, and it shows in their condescending reports, such as this one. I wouldn't take them seriously.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by DRANOEL(m): 4:19pm On Mar 06, 2015
ROSSIKE:
The Economist labelled Mandela a terrorist back in the day. They still are anti-black, and it shows in their condescending reports, such as this one. I wouldn't take them seriously.

yeah right, because they bashed your goody doodluck
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
DRANOEL:

yeah right, because they bashed your goody doodluck
Who are you anyway? Kindly get lost. I bet you're not even Nigerian.
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by gostudyeurope: 4:25pm On Mar 06, 2015
Study Study Study in the Czech Republic!!!!

Study in our partner university English program for admission 2015!!

Study!!!

Bachelor program Business Management and Corporate Finance
Bachelor program Marketing Communication
Master program Business Management and Corporate Finance
Master program Marketing Communication
MBA

Here are the basic admission requirements:

In order to receive student Admission letter you will have to provide US with the following through e-mail:

* Copies of Passport,
* Copies of Educational Certificates, WEAC/ B.SC transcript.
* Copy of Birth Certificate etc.

All the above mentioned documents should be in English

If the school decide to accept you. An interview will be organized via Skype. ( Pls only genuine students are admitted. If you come over to Czech Republic and you didn't turn-up to study WE/ our partner university will cancel your visa and turn you back to NIGERIA)

Admission will close Soon.. Contact us by email info@gostudyeurope.org
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by DRANOEL(m): 4:25pm On Mar 06, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Who are you anyway? Kindly get lost. I bet you're not even Nigerian.

what am I ? Togolese? get lost to where? Otouke sure pass 2015
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 06, 2015
DRANOEL:

what am I ? Togolese? get lost to where? Otouke sure pass 2015
You're a foreign plant pretending to be one of us, and you're here to promote your racist Economist propaganda which we reject. "British trained troops" my foot. Just get lost.
Re: Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist by DRANOEL(m): 4:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
ROSSIKE:
You're a foreign plant pretending to be one of us, and you're here to promote your racist Economist propaganda which we reject. "British trained troops" my foot. Just get lost.

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Southern Muslims...!!! / 2015 PRESIDENTIAL Election:buhari Wins Big In Lagos, Ogun, Osun - Dailytrust / Buhari Wins Presidential Election! (see Table)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.