Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? (1756 Views)

Which One Should I Take First; NIM Or MBA? / One Critical Decision That Got Me Promoted To A Manager(must Read) / Urgent!!! Please which of the Federal Government Jobs Should I Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2015
Hello guys!

I recently got two job offers almost at the same time. One is at a new ferry company with an intimidating presence in the Nigerian ferry business. There pay is in 6 digits and I am handling a managerial position, more or less a supervisory role. The company has strong presence in some west African countries and are dominant in Seria Leone where they started operations. The second is with Lagos State Internal Revenue Services (LIRS). Although the appointment letter for the first came before LIRS, even when I knew that the LIRS was also a sure bet I started with the Ferry company. As it stands i am opportuned to be among the pioneering staffs of the Nigerian Operation and with such a robust role.
I have consulted with the old and the young and they seem to have diverse views. The young wants me to go for the private firm while the elderly wants me to go for LIRS, citing job security and rest. Someone recommended me for the private firm and he has been my mentor for the past 9 years. He is of the opinion that I take the private firms offer, citing the fact that as an insider he knows the fact that the business is secure and there is faster promotion.

The LIRS offer was possible through the help of an uncle and he did alot to secure that slot, now I have been invited to come pick the appointment letter for LIRS, how do I manage this situation? Especially when there is pressure from some family members (mum and the rest) who want me to take LIRS offer by all means.

I have plans to further on my PHD studies and preferably oversee.

Please nairalanders, let me not say I am confused but I need your candid help. I know nairaland is full of people with vast knowledge and wealth of experience, here is where your input is needed. I also seek that the topic be placed on frontpage so i can get vast response. This is a critical decision! Thanks

1 Like

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by unofficial(m): 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
Introduce me to your mentor and uncle....I need this kind of problem in my life

3 Likes

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 8:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
Pls be serious now, this one is official oo.
unofficial:
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by Evina(f): 8:13pm On Mar 06, 2015
Hmmmm. Now these are some of the kind of "problems" people should have. tongue

Okay, so I need to know, what are your career goals? Why is there a PHD in view? Are you envisioning a career in lecturing in the future? Or you are just one of them that like to "acquire" certificates?

Do you plan on starting your own business in the future?

1 Like

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 8:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
Evina:
Hmmmm. Now these are some of the kind of "problems" people should have. tongue

Okay, so I need to know, what are your career goals? Why is there a PHD in view? Are you envisioning a career in lecturing in the future? Or you are just one of them that like to "acquire" certificates?

Do you plan on starting your own business in the future?
In fact I have started my PhD in one of the federal universities so i need money for that campaign. Yes that's the ultimate goal to become a lecturer and still have time to run my own business.

1 Like

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by Evina(f): 8:55pm On Mar 06, 2015
tejpot:

In fact I have started my PhD in one of the federal universities so i need money for that campaign. Yes that's the ultimate goal to become a lecturer and still have time to run my own business.

Hmmmm.
I really don't see any direct impact both job offers will have in your future plan. They seem like just means to an end. So the focus should be on, which means will help you get to your end faster and in better shape; in terms of money, network and skills acquired?

Let's attempt to answer the above. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 9:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
Evina:

Hmmmm.
I really don't see any direct impact both job offers will have in your future plan. They seem like just means to an end. So the focus should be on, which means will help you get to your end faster and in better shape; in terms of money, network and skills acquired?

Let's attempt to answer the above. smiley
The private firm because the salary is more than LIRS, in terms of skills I might not have armful of info, but d private can help my phd research if I so need.
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by 234GT(m): 9:37pm On Mar 06, 2015
Go for the one with higher pay. There is nothing called job security.

1 Like

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 10:21pm On Mar 06, 2015
Thanks for your position
234GT:
Go for the one with higher pay. There is nothing called job security.
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by crudedude(m): 8:20am On Mar 07, 2015
tejpot:

The private firm because the salary is more than LIRS, in terms of skills I might not have armful of info, but d private can help my phd research if I so need.
You have answered your question.

Evina you smart sha. #Respect.

1 Like

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by Evina(f): 9:14am On Mar 07, 2015
crudedude:

I believe so op.

Crudedude, smiley
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 8:35pm On Mar 09, 2015
crudedude:

Thanks for the addition
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by adekzy: 11:35pm On Mar 15, 2015
Fortunate is the person who has developed then self-control to steer a straight course towards his objective in life, without being swayed from his purpose by either commendation or condemnation. - smiley

Your final decision must be based on your own full personal assessment.

2 Likes

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by studyp: 5:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
Now, these are the kind of problems people ask for

Problems like: Where do i park my Jet? Should I buy a Lamborghini or Ferrari

On a serious note, go for the private job and beg your uncle, spoil him with gifts and many visits.

But if you're in the patriotism zone, you can go for the govt job

A unique concept....Earn money where pupils learn cheesy

For more info, visit www.studypays.com, our facebook page www.facebook.com/studypays, or twitter - www.twitter.com/studypays
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by Eskay201: 7:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
Career development with income

Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 7:09am On Mar 17, 2015
adekzy:
Fortunate is the person who has developed then self-control to steer a straight course towards his objective in life, without being swayed from his purpose by either commendation or condemnation. - smiley

Your final decision must be based on your own full personal assessment.

That was just the best I did
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by urvashi08: 8:00am On Mar 17, 2015
you need to be determined and firm to opt for a career..one should not be vague to take a decision..you should confidently stand for your career aims and goals..apart of obstacle and hurdles on your way you should be focused to face each and every situation..hope this career tips and guidance helps you out. http://careersamosa.com/tips-successful-career-planning/
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by oseiwe(m): 12:03pm On Mar 17, 2015
unofficial:
Tejpot, me too wink
Re: Critical Decision! Two Job Offers, Which Should I Take? by tejpot(m): 3:48pm On Mar 17, 2015
oseiwe:

Tejpot, me too wink
Lol, with prayer and fasting that problem will surface.
God is great

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bloggers Needed! ! ! To Apply, Send In Your Email Address NOW! / What 'll Be The Level Of A First Degree Holder In Civil Service? / An Application I Got From A Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.