Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

Scarred - Dede - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Scarred - Dede (492 Views)

Dede's Lovely Nightmare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Scarred - Dede by dghostwriter: 7:09pm On Mar 09, 2015
"Don't do it, don't do it, an echoing voice repeated in my head, but it wasn't the voice that guided me it was the situation before the voice. I'm deeply sorry"

I just got a job at DN ventures, it was a financial institution you know these kinds that gave out minor loans to individuals like the micro finance banks? That's exactly what it was. I had been about two months in and already gotten my first promotion. Although most of the staff members believed and claimed it was rare and of course hard to get a promotion due to the fact that they had been there long enough and nothing happened, I did get a promotion because I had found favour in the sight of my boss.

I was a diligent staff that much even I could attest to, I came in on time and left late, late because at the end of most days I had to cover up for the lack of others by rounding up assignments of the day which they didn't do,I was always on time to meetings and never ran out of new inventive ways to make the company work. Like I said earlier I had been given a promotion all thanks to these attributes but with the promotion came greater challenges.

Not many people can be trusted with a safe key so as a result of this it was company policy that each candidate nominated to be in charge of the safe was scrutinized painfully till they were filtered down to their best and most trusted individuals. After much screening of a list that started out with five individuals I was the last one left. So one Monday morning my boss handed me the key to the safe while the members of staff cheered on.

I now had a great responsibility lingering on my shoulder, the burden of the safe, people had told me tales of how safe keys went missing and monies evacuated by the same persons you trust the most, all of these stories kept me in a state of shock and fear for the two weeks I had just being appointed but sooner than later I had dusted it off my shoulders and taken care of the responsibility handed to me. I hid the key in the safest place possible where no one could find it, not my mum nor my siblings, I swore to myself to be the best safe keeper alive.

Not more than two weeks into my new job while I had been in a secluded meeting with my boss, I got a call for which I excused myself to take, it was Ken my younger brother who never called me for anything so I picked it with all urgency. He related to me that our mother had fallen from the stairs and landed on her head, she was in the hospital and the situation was crucial, I bit my tongue at the sound of the news dismissing him as quickly as possible I returned to my boss not sating a word of it.

Later that evening after I had left work, I went to see my mum in her ward and I realised that Ken had put his story in a lighter way, she wasn't just in the hospital but in a coma being fed intravenously with a large oxygen mask over her nose, the doctor had later gone ahead to intimate me on the brain damage caused by the fall and how she was in a 50-50 situation, he did also talk bout the expenses that needed to be ran, the oxygen fee, the spinal cord fluid test to ensure nothing was wrong there and a several other jargon medical language that I couldn't understand. I kept calm and listened, actually that was all I could do.

A family meeting was called and a plan mapped out as to how we would raise the funds required, everyone left each with their mandate, we would do whatever it took to keep our mother alive. My activity at work although had began to deteriorate, I was slacking in places where I had once been excelling, I couldn't concentrate much as it had been almost two months and none of us had met to our target, the doctors had threatened to pull off their oxygen mask claiming other patients needed it, but I still kept my calm telling no soul of my dilemma.

Another month had passed by and the key came calling, I couldn't imagine that I had the ability to rescue the woman who brought me to the world but was stalling, people would understand http://uncircumcisedwriter..com/2015/03/scarred-dede.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

The Task Finale / Jesus Seun! / Riverine Competition [tortoise And The Fishes]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.