Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,596 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. (1632 Views)

What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M / 10 Year Old Nigerian Math Genius, Esther Okade Plans To Build A Bank By Age 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. by felsunseg(m): 8:32am On Mar 10, 2015
felsunseg:
Esther Okade is a 10-year-old British-Nigerian
student
She recently enrolled at the Open University in the UK
Already top of her class scoring 100% in a recent
exam
Took A-level exams, a British secondary school qualification, last year

At first glance Esther Okade seems like a normal 10-year-old. She loves dressing up as Elsa
from "Frozen," playing with Barbie dolls and going to
the park or shopping. But what makes the British-Nigerian youngster stand
out is the fact that she's also a university
undergraduate. Esther, from Walsall, an industrial town in the UK's
West Midlands region, is one of the country's youngest
college freshmen. The talented 10-year-old enrolled at the Open
University, a UK-based distance learning college, in
January and is already top of the class, having
recently scored 100% in a recent exam. "It's so interesting. It has the type of maths I love. It's
real maths -- theories, complex numbers, all that type
of stuff," she giggles. "It was super easy. My mum
taught me in a nice way." She adds: "I want to (finish the course) in two years.
Then I'm going to do my PhD in financial maths when
I'm 13. I want to have my own bank by the time I'm
15 because I like numbers and I like people and
banking is a great way to help people." And in case people think her parents have pushed her
into starting university early, Esther emphatically
disagrees. "I actually wanted to start when I was seven. But my
mum was like, "you're too young, calm down." After
three years of begging, mother Efe finally agreed to
explore the idea. A marvelous mathematical mind Esther has always jumped ahead of her peers. She sat
her first Math GSCE exam, a British high school
qualification, at Ounsdale School in Wolverhampton at
just six, where she received a C-grade. A year later,
she outdid herself and got the A-grade she wanted.
Then last year she scored a B-grade when she sat the Math A-level exam. Esther's mother noticed her daughter's flair for figures
shortly after she began homeschooling her at the age
of three. Initially, Esther's parents had enrolled her in
a private school but after a few short weeks, the pair
began noticing changes in the usually-vibrant
youngster. Efe says: "One day we were coming back home and
she burst out in tears and she said 'I don't ever want
to go back to that school -- they don't even let me
talk!' "In the UK, you don't have to start school until you are
five. Education is not compulsory until that age so I
thought OK, we'll be doing little things at home until
then. Maybe by the time she's five she will change her
mind."
Efe started by teaching basic number skills but Esther
was miles ahead. By four, her natural aptitude for
maths had seen the eager student move on to algebra
and quadratic equations. And Esther isn't the only maths prodigy in the family.
Her younger brother Isaiah, 6, will soon be sitting his
first A-level exam in June. Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/09/africa/esther-okade-maths-genius/index.html

Re: Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. by Phiniz(m): 8:35am On Mar 10, 2015
CAN U MODEL,ACT OR SING,THEN HERE IS UR OPPORTURNITY,JOIN US AT PHINIX RECORDS AND SEE US TAKE U THERE.CALL 07035205088,08185075799
Re: Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. by felsunseg(m): 8:38am On Mar 10, 2015
Phiniz:
CAN U MODEL,ACT OR SING,THEN HERE IS UR OPPORTURNITY,JOIN US AT PHINIX RECORDS AND SEE US TAKE U THERE.CALL 07035205088,08185075799
how much is the salary
Re: Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. by shawnfamous(m): 8:42am On Mar 10, 2015
Look at dis idiot abv saying cn u model ,act or sing? Look at dis little girl solving maths! What u nw say is 2 model! Foolish goat! Well if dis is tru! I am so ashamed of my self
Re: Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. by felsunseg(m): 9:24am On Mar 10, 2015
shawnfamous:
Look at dis idiot abv saying cn u model ,act or sing? Look at dis little girl solving maths! What u nw say is 2 model! Foolish goat! Well if dis is tru! I am so ashamed of my self
it's true no doubt about it.
Re: Meet Nigeria 10-year-old Maths Genius: Esther Okade. by shawnfamous(m): 3:14pm On Mar 10, 2015
felsunseg:
it's true no doubt about it.
abii

(1) (Reply)

Important FUTO Admission Clearance Documents / Kogi State University (KSU) 2015/2016 Part-time & Diploma Form Is Out. / Comparing LASPOTECH With IBADANPOLY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.