Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison (498 Views)

Court Sentences Mu’ammar Tukur To Death By Hanging In Katsina / Ekiti Court Sentences Herdsman To Two Years Imprisonment For Grazing / Ivory Coast Court Jails Ex-first lady 20 Years Over Poll Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison by anigbajumo(m): 3:30pm On Mar 10, 2015
A court in Ivory Coast has sentenced Simone Gbagbo, the wife of the former president Laurent Gbagbo, to 20 years in prison for her role in a 2011 post-election crisis in which around 3,000 people were killed, her lawyer said.

Simone Gbagbo, who is also wanted by the international criminal court, was tried alongside 82 other allies of her husband in a case that revived deep divisions in a nation still recovering from years of political turmoil and conflict.e Dadje.

The sentence handed down by the six-member jury was longer than the 10 years requested by the state prosecutor. The former first lady’s civil rights will also be suspended for a period of 10 years, Dadje said.

Laurent Gbagbo is awaiting trial at the ICC accused of crimes against humanity for his alleged role in orchestrating the violence. Ivory Coast refused to transfer Simone Gbagbo to The Hague to face similar charges, arguing that she could receive a fair trial in a domestic court.

The trial verdicts were announced in the early hours of Tuesday morning after around nine hours of deliberations by the jury, Dadje said.

Pascal Affi N’Guessan, president of Gbagbo’s Ivorian Popular Front (FPI) party and seen as a potential candidate to challenge Ouattara in presidential elections later this year, was handed an 18-month suspended sentence.

On Monday, the final day of the trial, Simone Gbagbo said she had been insulted and humiliated by the prosecution, which she said had failed to prove her guilt.

“I’m prepared to forgive. I forgive because, if we don’t forgive, this country will burn,” she said. “I am satisfied with this trial. I told my part of the truth.”. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/10/ivory-coast-court-sentences-wife-of-ex-president-to-20-years-in-prison
Re: Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison by BeeBeeOoh(m): 3:37pm On Mar 10, 2015
I wish her behind steel bars..
Re: Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison by pring: 3:42pm On Mar 10, 2015
K
Re: Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison by Pinkiedearie(f): 3:57pm On Mar 10, 2015
Hmmmmmm.. undecided
Re: Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison by ogb5(m): 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2015
10 yrs more than what the prosecution requested.

That explains a lot.

Africans, digging divisions for themselves in the past 600yrs
Re: Ivory Coast Court Sentences Wife Of Ex-president To 20 Years In Prison by uzolexis(f): 1:37am On Mar 12, 2015
The french don't want Gbagbo in power cos they know what he can do n they r bringing ambiguous n false charges against him. They r backing Outtarra a man they can control n push around.
It's time Africa stands n fights for her own, it's long overdue angry angry

(1) (Reply)

We Want Our Girls, Not School – Chibok Elders To FG / Pdp Plans To Disrupt Apc Road Show In Ekiti, Cause Havoc In Sw - Apc / Jonathan Spoke With Moroccan King On Phone, FG Insists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.