Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets (811 Views)

Help Estimate Jollof Rice For About 400 Guests / Banky W Goes Mad, Roams Lagos Streets / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by oludashmi(f): 5:02am On Mar 11, 2015
About 400 buildings have been wrecked, and thousands of residents homeless, after a windstorm destroys some streets at about 4.30pm on Monday, in Papa Ashafa/Dopemu in the Orile-Agege area of Lagos State.

Some of the affected streets include Abibatu, Opeifa, Fabowale, Kushoro, Opeolu, Bakare Opesha, Sura Ogunmakin, Igbayilola, Akintunde, Alafia, Sadiku, Ebun, Ayeni, Oyewole, Adewunmi Adebiyi, Oyewole Close, Oyewole Road and Alafia Close.

An Assembly of God Church building atop a residential building was uprooted away to another building opposite it.

Some residents gave account of their experience as the storm blew off their houses and rendered them homeless.

A trader, Mrs. Balogun Labake, said, “I saw the thing rolling towards us with full force. It pulled the bed from underneath us. As we were about running away, the force blocked us from going out. It destroyed all our property and damaged the roofing sheets.”

Mrs. Nike Olusanaya, a civil servant resident on Okubanjo Street said, “We have nowhere to stay again. We have been carrying our loads around and begging people to house us. The windstorm threw the ceiling of our room far away. I slept outside with my kids.”

The headmistress of the school, Mrs Ayeni Oluremi, said, “The incident happened exactly 4.30pm. The children closed from school at 4pm, and after that, they gathered outside.

“The school bus was coming to pick them in groups. There were still 12 of them remaining when it began to drizzle and suddenly, the asbestos of the school began to fall off. I took them inside. Just then, I saw the wind snapping the poles and tearing the cables apart.

“It was a few minutes after that that the school bus arrived to take them. The pole fell where we usually park the bus. It was God. We celebrated this morning and spent one hour on the assembly.”

Another private school, Al-Baraka Schools on Oshundairo Street had some parts of the buildings damaged, while a public primary school, Oyewole Primary School on Oyewole Road had its wall broken down while State Junior High School and Christfield Comprehensive College, both on Oyewole Road had their roofing sheets blown away.

A tailor living in the house where the church was, Mr. Segun Toyin, said, “There were five of us around that time. My four friends, who were outside, suddenly ran into the shop and said there was an earthquake. A few minutes later, the wind took off the building.”

Photos and the remaining resident experience http://www.nigerianheadlines.com/about-400-buildings-wrecked-as-windstorm-visits-lagos-streets/

Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by fromnigeria(m): 5:07am On Mar 11, 2015
Jesus!!!, rain storm or Tornado??
Holy ghost take charge of the remainder of the this raining season.
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:07am On Mar 11, 2015
Nawa oh. Abii nah hurricane or hin brother
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by ELTON123(m): 5:28am On Mar 11, 2015
Nawa oo. which kind windstorm be dat, God help us ooo
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by mcdonald59(m): 5:35am On Mar 11, 2015
.......,so so sorry. d Lord is dia strength
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by Gboliwe: 5:51am On Mar 11, 2015
Is this real? embarassed lipsrsealed I hope NOT!

Why aren't the national dailies carrying it? Aren't there nairalanders that live there and around? I don't want to believe it. I pray its not true
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by haiti007(m): 5:58am On Mar 11, 2015
Dat agege street self na wa oo
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by lumzybo: 6:15am On Mar 11, 2015
Na wa ooo.... things are really changing.
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by Nobody: 6:30am On Mar 11, 2015
oludashmi:
An Assembly of God Church building atop a residential building was uprooted away to another building opposite it.

I no understand wetin you talk for here o. The video dey youtube? I go like see as e happen with my eyes.
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by phayvoursky(m): 6:36am On Mar 11, 2015
THOSE AREAS OUGHT TO BE DEPOPULATED. WONDER IF LAGOS STATE HAS ANY MINISTRY THAT PLANS THE ERECTI.ON AND SPACING OF BUILDINGS.

THESE ARE THE THINGS THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HANDLE WITH THE IGR OF N36BILLION.

ONE MAN IS BUSY TAKING ALL THE LANDS, MAKING UP A BANNER OF TALL IMPOSSIBLE DREAMS. SUCKING THESE POOR ONES DRY AND ENRICHING HIMSELF TO THE EXTENT OF BEEN THE BIGGEST LANDLORD IN NIGERIA. THE PRESENT GOVERNMENT OF LAGOS HAS NO SAY OR POWERS TO CHALLENGE THIS EMPEROR.

THESE SAME INDIVIDUALS CALL FOR CHANGE (I wonder what kind of change they are preaching). DECEIVING THE YOUTHS AND ENCOURAGING THUGGERY IN THE HIGHEST ORDER, USING VIOLENCE AS THE BEST WAY TO PASS THEIR MESSAGES.

I SAY NO TO THIS CHANGE.

I PRAY THE AFFECTED ONES FIND RESPITE IN LESS THAN NO TIME AND A BETTER GOVERNMENT WHO UNDERSTANDS THEIR PLIGHT TO COME IN DUE TIME.

*why is erecti.on censored?

I AM PHAYVOURSKY
Re: About 400 Buildings Wrecked As Windstorm Visits Lagos Streets by GogetterMD(m): 7:28am On Mar 11, 2015
Prolly a tropical cyclone. If our meteorological agencies were functional, they would have given a fore-warning of the impending disaster and prompt evacuations of the areas woukd be achieved. But no, na only to tell us temperature, fake rainfall and sunshine updates.
And to those that think it is due to bad structures and and poor housing layout schemes, such disaster dey happen for una dreamland, Amelica, almost on an annual basis sef. But the difference is that they predict the course of the storm and evacuate to prevent loss of lives

(1) (Reply)

9 Types Of Students You Find During A Lecture / If You Think English Is Not Hard Then Try This (photo) / A Fan Of Former President Jonathan, Erected A Statue Of Him. PICTURES INSIDE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.