Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,915 members, 7,810,514 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher (10510 Views)

Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / Ekiti Govt Introduces New Levies On Pupils / A Primary School Where Pupils Wear Chelsea Jersey As Their Sportswear (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by ijustdey: 7:09am On Mar 12, 2015
Tragedy struck in Ilara community, in the Ogijo area of Ogun State after the roof of a school building crashed on three pupils and a teacher of the school.

PUNCH Metro learnt that while a 10-year-old Primary five pupil, Fibian Lawal, died on the spot, the other victims were taken to some hospitals in the area and were said to be in critical conditions.

Our correspondent gathered that the incident happened on Monday at the Local Government Primary School Ajeregun, while the teacher, identified simply as Ms Onanuga, was taking the pupils in a lesson shortly after school hours.

The five-block building was said to have been built around 1955 when the school was established.

It was also said the traditional ruler of the community and some other top government functionaries attended the school whose building had become dilapidated.

However, PUNCH Metro, during a visit to the school on Wednesday, observed a new block of classrooms beside it, which was said to have been shut upon completion in 2014, because it had not been inaugurated by the government.

It was learnt that parents of the pupils contributed money for the new building, with some supports from the government.

Our correspondent saw sandals, slippers and books scattered on the school premises, which was deserted.

It was observed that the old building, which had lost its window frames and doors, was hit by a storm which blew off the roof.

A pupil of the school and classmate of late Fibian, Adijat Ohize, explained that the roof crashed on the pupils and the teacher.

She said, “We had finished school but we were all waiting for lesson when it began to rain. The other teachers left the school and their pupils, but our aunty did not leave.

“The rain was blowing into the classroom and our aunty said we should all run to a private school beside our school.

“I ran and got there, but as Fibian stepped out of the class, her shoes got stuck in the mud on the ground. She started struggling to get out.”

Fibian’s younger brother, Okiki, 7, who also sustained injuries in the hand, said he was under a shade when he saw the late pupil struggling with the mud.

He said, “When the teacher asked us to go to the private school because of the rain, I first ran under a mango tree. I saw my sister struggling and I went to help her, but the roof fell on her. My hand was injured. I started shouting her name, but she did not answer me.”

It was learnt that the teacher had also stepped outside and asked other pupils still in the class to join her when they all became trapped.

The food seller of the school, Mrs. Idiatu Shonuga, said she had briefly left her shade under the mango tree for her house due to low patronage, when she learnt about the incident.

She said she ran back and saw the teacher in a pool of blood.

“She kept saying ‘my neck, my neck’. A pupil’s leg was broken and another was seriously injured. They were all rushed to different hospitals.

“The girl that died was crushed under the roof. She had become limp when she was brought out and efforts to revive her were abortive,” she added.

Shonuga said the tragedy could have been prevented if the community development association had responded on time to series of letters from the school asking for help to upgrade the building.

The victim’s mother, Olushola Lawal, said she wished she had died in place of her daughter, saying Fibian was the hope of the family.

She said she had given her and Okiki N1,200 on the day of the incident as the family’s contribution for a new teacher employed by the school.

She said, “It was her younger brother, Okiki, that cried home and said Kemi (Fibian) had died after the roof fell on her. I couldn’t believe it and people kept deceiving me that she was in the hospital.

“She was a good writer and could draw anything perfectly. She would just ask you to sit and she would draw you. She had a note for drawing.

“She always said she would take care of me when she grew older. I wish I had died in her place.”

Fibian’s elder brother, Oluwaseun, criticised the government’s attitude towards the community.

He wondered why the pupils were not relocated to the new building, but allowed to stay in a weak structure “until a life was lost, and that happened to be my sister.”

PUNCH Metro learnt the family buried Fibian the same day she died.

The Ogun State Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, John Odubela, said the new building had been opened.

He said, “The new building was recently completed and there is a procedure to be followed when a building is completed. The contractor will have to file notice, among other things. As we speak now, they have opened the new one for the pupils to use.

“Government officials from the local government area and the State Universal Basic Education Board have visited the family; they were at the girl’s burial.

“The head teacher of the school did not inform us on time.”

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/one-dies-as-roof-crashes-on-pupils-teacher/

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Shiifi(m): 7:13am On Mar 12, 2015
Hmmmmm God please have mercy#Things will change
Rip to the dead

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by GboyegaD(m): 7:26am On Mar 12, 2015
The head teacher of this school and commisioner for education in Ogun State should at least be tried and sentenced for Manslaughter.

5 Likes

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 12, 2015
Oh God! This is tragic! They had to wait till an innocent pupil(maybe more?) died before they opened the new building?

I guess the building contractor suddenly filed the necessary papers immediately the girl died. This is so not fair on the child's mum and siblings. Nobody to sue, no damages to claim, no apology, nothing!

To say the poor parents had to scrape money to contribute to pay a new teacher, erect a new structure(that was not commissioned till they recorded a death)...what is going on in Nigeria?

RIP, young soul. May God give your folks the fortitude to bear the loss.

God, help us.

1 Like

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Dammytrager(m): 8:40am On Mar 12, 2015
There nothing I can say to bring the dead back!

So lemme sit on ewedu tree and be watching as events unfolds in Nigeria
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by sagewonders(m): 8:41am On Mar 12, 2015
rip to the dead

this is one of the major problems we have in this country. there is always a useless procedure to what is important. But the unimportant once protocol will be kept aside.
God have mercy on her. how will you feel if she is your sister.

I no some will say apc, pdp n I strongly believe it's not time for that.

1 Like

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Cutest9gerian(m): 8:41am On Mar 12, 2015
So sad .... Gej till 2019

2 Likes

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 12, 2015
GboyegaD:
The head teacher of this school and commisioner for education in Ogun State should at least be tried and sentenced for Manslaughter.

Maybe we should also tried God.
Why should He allow such a thing to happen? undecided
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by ekim004(m): 8:42am On Mar 12, 2015
Nawa o nd some idiots go kom dey say gej.till 2015 it gives me d impression dat nigerians love 2 suffer as 4 me #ihavedecided #saibuhari
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 12, 2015
Rest in peace poor girl cry cry The same thing happened in a government secondary school in Ile-Ife some years back, may God touch the heart of our government
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by OgologoDimkpa: 8:43am On Mar 12, 2015
These are the change the broom carrying party are clamouring for!

RIP to this young lad.

1 Like

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by dennismukoro(m): 8:43am On Mar 12, 2015
All this local govt chairmen and ladies i wounder they do. they always wait for the state govt to renovate. RIP to the dead
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by OgologoDimkpa: 8:45am On Mar 12, 2015
ekim004:
Nawa o nd some idiots go kom dey say gej.till 2015 it gives me d impression dat nigerians love 2 suffer as 4 me #ihavedecided #saibuhari
Ogun state is a broom carrying state shouting change up and down embarassed
See una life?

4 Likes

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by greatgod2012(f): 8:45am On Mar 12, 2015
Only in Nigeria!
Imagine, the structure was built in 1955 and new one is not opened because it hasn't been inaugurated.

When actually are we going to get anything right in this country

1 Like

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Flets: 8:46am On Mar 12, 2015
While APC is busy setting up the longest banner for propaganda on 3rd Mainland bridge..... kids are being killed by dilapidated buildings in Ogun state

APC - Evils!!!!

3 Likes

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by gameboy727(m): 8:46am On Mar 12, 2015
Rip kid. The school should be closed until it is fully renovated.
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by udokpuenyi(m): 8:46am On Mar 12, 2015
[quote author=ekim004 post=31542231]Nawa o nd some idiots go kom dey say gej.till 2015 it gives me d impression dat nigerians love 2 suffer as 4 me #ihavedecided #saibuhari[/quote

Them use GEJ swear for una, sumtin happened in a remote village in ogun state and you are here commenting as if you left your brain at home.
Grow up

2 Likes

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by guttentag(m): 8:48am On Mar 12, 2015
R I P to the Dead

Change is all We need, As long as you are a Nigerian both home and Abroad, you are entitle to some benefit
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 12, 2015
This is sad.
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by AZeD1(m): 8:50am On Mar 12, 2015
The local government chairman, the head teacher and the commissioner of education should be arrested and tried for negligence and any other offence that can stick.
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Lildreezy(m): 8:52am On Mar 12, 2015
aregberascal, where is the ubec money you were given, oh i forgot, itr part of buhari's campaign funds! God deliver us from evil! Rip

1 Like

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 8:55am On Mar 12, 2015
GboyegaD:
did u say head teacher? should he renovate the school with his salary? I dnt get ur point

1 Like

Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Adelekebalogun: 8:57am On Mar 12, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]GET CHEAP DATA BUNDLES AT VERY LOW RATE MTN 300GB FOR 3000, AIRTEL 250gb FOR 3000, GLO 300GB FOR 3000, ETISALAT 300GB FOR 3000 call 07062471665 DATA WORKS ON ALL DEVICE BOTH MOBILE AND PC
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 12, 2015
[quote author=udokpuenyi post=31542351][/quote] what has GEJ has to do wit a collapse stLalate school? why do we have governors and local govt chairmen? u need to understand ow govenement work, u sound clueless.
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by angrybird007: 9:01am On Mar 12, 2015
H
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 12, 2015
Where are the Yoruba e-warriors?christyG,Ilekeh,searchingforlove and co...... Hiding your faces in shame.....cowards.
If this happened in the east,you would have rained all manner of insults on the entire tribe.
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by danjalingo: 9:07am On Mar 12, 2015
is this part of the change?
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 12, 2015
He said, “When the teacher asked us to go to the private school because of the rain, I first ran under a mango tree. I saw my sister struggling and I went to help her, but the roof fell on her. My hand was injured. I started shouting her name, but she did not answer me.”

I'm done believing in Nigeria. It should rot if it wants to, its a hell hole already.

Shame on everyone who did this to us.
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by Nten: 9:09am On Mar 12, 2015
A school founded in 1955, were are the old boys & old girls association of the school? A vast majority of Nigerians dont profer solution before disaster occur they do after disaster occur.

May the soul of the faithful innocent girl departed RIP
Re: One Dies As Roof Crashes On Pupils, Teacher by danjalingo: 9:10am On Mar 12, 2015
guttentag:
R I P to the Dead

Change is all We need, As long as you are a Nigerian both home and Abroad, you are entitle to some benefit

Ogun is changed already now. which other change do you want?

(1) (2) (Reply)

TRENDING NOW: "Is That One A Uniben Student"- Goes Viral, (see Hilarious Posts) / LASU Lied About Prof. Okebukola’s Age Falsification Scandal - Premium Times / UI Releases 2020/2021 Post-UTME Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.