Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months (10824 Views)

Stock Market Shareholders Lose N108billion To Forex Suspension / Diamond Bank Stuns Shareholders With Worst Quarterly Result Since 2012 / Ikeja Hotel PLC Shareholders Locked Out Of Meeting Venue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by Firefire(m): 4:04pm On Mar 12, 2015
layinkakeem:
Blame #[s]GEJ
Due to devaluation of naira !
We want change #saibuhari
We want change
If jonah wins this election
Naija's will exchange dollar at the rate of 1'500
And 1 litre petrol #200[/s]
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by Lifebender(m): 4:05pm On Mar 12, 2015
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by Kx: 4:06pm On Mar 12, 2015
Oh, now its clear why he was in the Lagos Stock Exchange this afternoon, abegyy.
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
layinkakeem:

Egbami !!!!
Shei the idiot jonah wey dey there !
Did he impove anything about our power supply, ?
Jonah meet 5,000KW there last four years when he was about to be elected.
Now he has turned it 3,000KW
Is that transformations
Ahahahah
Do you want us to die in transformations things nii ?

I am not a fan of the PDP....and infact my critique of the PDP is the same as that of the APC.

The trobule for me is...both parties are not serious about ending our reliance on oil. Oil prices are not going to stay high like before. Time we woke up to that fact....and do the needful by going industrial.
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by manny4life(m): 4:10pm On Mar 12, 2015
Nigeria is definitely going down in ruin... For an economic trend like this, it's advisable people begin withdrawing their money and prepare for the worst after the March elections.
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by otr1(m): 4:16pm On Mar 12, 2015
APC is the doorway to a better and prosperous Nigeria; Buhari and Osinbanjo hold the key

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by BizBloke(m): 4:19pm On Mar 12, 2015
ceejayluv:

Blah blah... It happened during the aftermath of the 2008 global crunch when capitalisation fell from over ten trillion to about less than three trillion.... Booms and dooms are expected in financial and futures markets...
!!
Exactly. The market experiences ups and downs.

Some people are also holding their funds and there's low volume of transactions at the moment, so that's expected. These afore-mentioned companies will likely regain this loss before the end of Q3.
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by ernie1234(m): 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2015
I dedicate this space to
Jonathans victory come march

The economy is going extinct and you are dedicating your ignorance to Jonathan..........
May God help your kind
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by BizBloke(m): 4:23pm On Mar 12, 2015
manny4life:
Nigeria is definitely going down in ruin... For an economic trend like this, it's advisable people begin withdrawing their money and prepare for the worst after the March elections.

Nice idea but we have to think how liquid the assets being traded on the NSE are? Or, specifically, how liquid they are in this period. The bidding/offer price may be way lower than the asking price, perhaps 50% lower. Would you sell in such situation?
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by rusher14: 4:31pm On Mar 12, 2015
ceejayluv:

Blah blah... It happened during the aftermath of the 2008 global crunch when capitalisation fell from over ten trillion to about less than three trillion.... Booms and dooms are expected in financial and futures markets...

Therefore no consequences?

We should promote those that oversee such losses after all, its a cyclical occurrence?

When last did the Nigerian stock market experience a boom? Almost a decade ago and here we are acting as if it should be expected.

Leadership is not for dodos. One should be a visionary, charismatic and double as a team player.

What we have is a situation in which all the ills appear to be nobody or everybody's fault, save for the people at the very top in government.

Illegal Arms purchase - America wouldn't sell to us

Boko Haram - opposition

Fuel scarcity - opposition

Weakening Naira - International Oil Prices

Power outages - Opposition

When does a government become responsible for the situation the country finds itself?

The pusillanimous character exhibited by this government stinks to high heavens.

No responsibility, no recompense, no record.

Shame of a state.

1 Like

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by manny4life(m): 4:35pm On Mar 12, 2015
BizBloke:

Nice idea but we have to think how liquid the assets being traded on the NSE are? Or, specifically, how liquid they are in this period. The bidding/offer price may be way lower than the asking price, perhaps 50% lower. Would you sell in such situation?

Obviously I wouldn't sell, but I will do some research and evaluation. If at the end of it all, it doesn't make much sense, I will sell and walk away. Don't forget that you're dealing with a fiat currency that's losing its value; don't forget that the economic and political forces, the fiscal policies have either positive or negative impact on a country's currency value. Therefore, if the con outweighs the pro, I will walk.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by ceejayluv(m): 4:38pm On Mar 12, 2015
rusher14:

Therefore no consequences?

We should promote those that oversee such losses after all its a cyclical ooccurrence?

When last did the Nigerian stock market experience a boom? Almost a decade ago and here we are acting as if it should be expected.

Leadership is not for dodos. One should be a visionary, charismatic and double as a team player.

What we have is a situation in which all the ills appear to be nobody or everybody's fault, save for the people at the very top in government.

Illegal Arms purchase - America wouldn't sell to us

Boko Haram - opposition

Fuel scarcity - opposition

Weakening Naira - International Oil Prices

Power outages - Opposition

When does a government become responsible for the situation the country finds itself?

The pusillanimous character exhibited by this government stinks to high heavens.

No responsibility, no recompense, no record.

Shame of a state.

Sshh!! Do not Blame the presidency on market forces actions.. After the near collapse of the stock market in 2008/2009, it bounced back to over 12-13 trillion... If that isn't boom, then dunno what else to call it....
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by BizBloke(m): 4:42pm On Mar 12, 2015
manny4life:

Obviously I wouldn't sell, but I will do some research and evaluation. If at the end of it all, it doesn't make much sense, I will sell and walk away. Don't forget that you're dealing with a fiat currency that's losing its value; don't forget that the economic and political forces, the fiscal policies have either positive or negative impact on a country's currency value. Therefore, if the con outweighs the pro, I will walk.

Well typed. I will walk, too, if the con outweighs the pro. Knowing when to walk is really crucial.

I just hope the economy is diversified in real time.
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by manny4life(m): 4:43pm On Mar 12, 2015
BizBloke:

!!
Exactly. The market experiences ups and downs.

Some people are also holding their funds and there's low volume of transactions at the moment, so that's expected. These afore-mentioned companies will likely regain this loss before the end of Q3.

You really think so?

I laugh in Swahili... That's how they predicted the U.S. downturn turnaround, and 5 years later, the economy was yet to recoup from the devastating turn of events. My point is: it's standard for an economy to experience growth and downturn, but when other secondary negative factors now turned primary begin to have a negative impact on the currency; there's bound to be a rippled effect that will leave a lasting scar on the economy.

I have told Nigerians, brace up for the worst. Whoever wins this election has a lot of work cut out for them. Nigeria is wealthy in resource, but right now, is that resource of value? On another note, Nigeria may be seen as wealthy but in reality, Nigeria is BROKE and a POOR nation in terms of public finance. Let's looks at macro components and per development, Nigeria hasn't fared well on par. No doubt Nigeria is growing, we have a positive GDP growth rate, but at what cost?

Please o, no one should misconstrue my statement as a doomsday prophet... I am ONLY calling it like it is.

1 Like

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by eluquenson(m): 4:51pm On Mar 12, 2015
And GEJ is at Lagos stock exchange this afternoon causing a heavy traffic within island. He has been in lagos since two days ago, tell him we don't care even if he sleeps on 3rd mainland bridge.
What we need is change. All his agents have crippled the whole economy.

1 Like

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by manny4life(m): 4:52pm On Mar 12, 2015
BizBloke:

Well typed. I will walk, too, if the con outweighs the pro. Knowing when to walk is really crucial.

I just hope the economy is diversified in real time.

How can an economy bounce back in real time whereas the govt is struggling to meet it's budgetary commitment and not without borrowing? With diminishing oil prices; devaluation of our currency; little or no public finance for infrastructural advancement; depleted foreign reserve and savings; ineffective fiscal policy infrastructure; increased level of corruption; I can continue to list on and on, pray tell, how will the economy be diversified? undecided undecided

This is my beef with APC's anthem of CHANGE. They have all these wishlists, yet NO PRACTICAL SOLUTION on how they intend to achieve all these without massive borrowing which has limitation as to what we can pay back. Prof Soludo in his write up once queried how they intend on financially backing up their plan, yet all we got was the usual rhetoric. Oil was and perhaps, still is a hot commodity, but is it hot enough to be backed as a contingency default plan? I mentioned APC, but PDP isn't left out of the equation either.

1 Like

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by millionboi(m): 4:55pm On Mar 12, 2015
Brymo:
let them also taste brokeness
Guy u wicked ooo
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by BizBloke(m): 4:57pm On Mar 12, 2015
manny4life:

You really think so?

I laugh in Swahili... That's how they predicted the U.S. downturn turnaround, and 5 years later, the economy was yet to recoup from the devastating turn of events. My point is: it's standard for an economy to experience growth and downturn, but when other secondary negative factors now turned primary begin to have a negative impact on the currency; there's bound to be a rippled effect that will leave a lasting scar on the economy.

I have told Nigerians, brace up for the worst. Whoever wins this election has a lot of work cut out for them. Nigeria is wealthy in resource, but right now, is that resource of value? On another note, Nigeria may be seen as wealthy but in reality, Nigeria is BROKE and a POOR nation in terms of public finance. Let's looks at macro components and per development, Nigeria hasn't fared well on par. No doubt Nigeria is growing, we have a positive GDP growth rate, but at what cost?

Please o, no one should misconstrue my statement as a doomsday prophet... I am ONLY calling it like it is.

[b]Well, just an opinion backed by the observation of the currency trend for months. I may be wrong as a result of the highlighted because our economy depends on the import side of international trade which has a lot to do with currency and when it comes to that, the international money market is on a freestyle because it's controlled by the fixed and floating exchange rates (forces of demand & supply) and the latter: mallams, local bureau de change, importers, etc holds sway and more power than the former. In essence, the black market controls the FOREX market.

Based on that, I may be wrong but if the current trend is anything to go by, the exchange rate will decrease over time, not as fast as we may wish it to but steadily. Currently, it's traveling between a +/-N1/N2 increase/decrease everyday and that's far away from the home of $1: N166 or thereabouts which we're accustomed to as at August/October, 2014 but then, I believe it'd fall; I know, that's subjective.

It's really a tough one and if I was political, now isn't the best time to contest for office. Expectations are high and the exchange rate is on a free fall.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by layinkakeem(m): 5:02pm On Mar 12, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I am not a fan of the PDP....and infact my critique of the PDP is the same as that of the APC.

The trobule for me is...both parties are not serious about ending our reliance on oil. Oil prices are not going to stay high like before. Time we woke up to that fact....and do the needful by going industrial.

Then I think you should support APC,
During GMB regime, was nigeria not good that time, naija was soo peaceful,
Support #CHANGE #VOTEGMB

1 Like

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 12, 2015
odikwa fresh air

taste the fresh air
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by BizBloke(m): 5:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
manny4life:

How can an economy bounce back in real time whereas the govt is struggling to meet it's budgetary commitment and not without borrowing? With diminishing oil prices; devaluation of our currency; little or no public finance for infrastructural advancement; depleted foreign reserve and savings; ineffective fiscal policy infrastructure; increased level of corruption; I can continue to list on and on, pray tell, how will the economy be diversified? undecided undecided

This is my beef with APC's anthem of CHANGE. They have all these wishlists, yet NO PRACTICAL SOLUTION on how they intend to achieve all these without massive borrowing which has limitation as to what we can pay back. Prof Soludo in his write up once queried how they intend on financially backing up their plan, yet all we got was the usual rhetoric. Oil was and perhaps, still is a hot commodity, but is it hot enough to be backed as a contingency default plan? I mentioned APC, but PDP isn't left out of the equation either.

I doff my hat for your analysis. That 'real time' was a mistake. I ought to have written gradual since real time means immediate in a way.

Most politicians in all parties in Nigeria (I dare type all) don't have any:
1) HOW: plans on fixing an issue and how to implement;
2) WHEN: The factual time-frame for achieving this.

They just know:
3) WHAT: The money and it stops there.

They don't even know:
4) WHO: The right person/team to implement the HOW or,
5) WHERE: The location of the right person/team.

This happens when people who are anti-knowledge run for office.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by arsetalks(m): 5:21pm On Mar 12, 2015
Good news for me. Can GTB just crash in prices a little more. Access bank and conoil too please.
Re: Shareholders Of Largest NSE Companies Lose N1120bn In 2 Months by Brymo: 5:26pm On Mar 12, 2015
millionboi:
Guy u wicked ooo
Only miss the sun when it starts to snow- passenger

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Scam Called TBC (the Billion Coin) / Investors Meet In January On Brass LNG, Uncertainty Looms Over OKLNG / Companies Limited By Guarantee And By Shares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.