Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,369 members, 7,861,015 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:04 PM

78-yr-old Narrates Ordeal In Kidnappers’ Den, As Police Arrest 7 Suspects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 78-yr-old Narrates Ordeal In Kidnappers’ Den, As Police Arrest 7 Suspects (435 Views)

Ezekwesili Sitting On The Floor In Aso Rock As Police Stop #BringBackOurGirls / Metuh Speaks About His Ordeal In The Hands Of EFCC / Rivers Tribunal:drama As Police Makes U-turn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

78-yr-old Narrates Ordeal In Kidnappers’ Den, As Police Arrest 7 Suspects by Calculia: 4:02am On Mar 13, 2015
78-yr-old narrates ordeal in kidnappers’ den, as police arrest 7 suspects
News Thursday, March 12, 2015

By Ola Ajayi

IBADAN-Officers of Oyo State Police Command, yesterday, stormed a kidnappers' den and rescued a 78-year-old man, Chief Adebowale Omotoso, who is the National Life Vice President of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce and Industry Mines and Agriculture, NACCIMA, in Egbeda Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The septuagenarian was kidnapped a week ago, when the suspected kidnappers stormed his residence at Awe in Afijio Local Government and whisked him away in the presence of his friends.

Seven suspects were arrested in connection with the crime.

Those alleged to have kidnapped the old man include a 32-year-old woman, who identified herself as Bisi Babatunde; Oladipupo Abayomi, 23; Alabi Olufemi; Isiaka Kazeem, Ayobami Musa, 23; Ajayi Olaniyi, 40; and Shittu Olaide, 28.

Two suspects were said to have escaped with bullet wounds, among them the alleged mastermind of the crime, Lucky.

'My story'

The rescue operation, led by the new Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Muhammed Katsina, led to the discovery of the den, a disused mud house in the jungle, which had some shrines.

The victim, looking distressed, narrated his experience with the kidnappers, saying "I was having a chat with my friends at home in Awe around 7.30pm, Wednesday, March 4, when some people entered into my house and started demanding dollars.

"They pointed a gun at me and threatened to kill us all if we did not cooperate.

"I just returned from the US where I had gone for treatment. They took all they wanted and just when we thought it was all over, they asked me to come with them. I was blindfolded and bundled into a waiting car.

''I was taken to an abandoned village house and I stayed there for four days before I was transferred to this place.

''They told me that they were taking me to Edo State and because I was blindfolded on the way, I sincerely believed we were in Edo until this morning (Monday) when I was rescued by the police and they told me we were in Ibadan."

Female suspect confesses

To the amazement of people at the scene, one of the suspects, a woman who was thought to be a victim, opened up and narrated how she had been involved in criminal activities. She was later discovered to be the informant.

She said: "I have been involved in fraudulent activities by posing to be a herbalist in Port Harcourt. I bought a car from the proceeds.

"I was involved in kidnapping in Port Harcourt, but I was not fully involved in this one. We have offices in Port Harcourt, Lagos among others. After returning home to Awe, I went to a brother called Laide and asked him to do juju for me.

"He told me that he knew Baba (Omotoso) and that I should call Lucky to come and kidnap him because he had refused to settle his family for the death of his brother that died in Omotoso's swimming pool.

"I was given N750,000 from the operation. Lucky said N5.5 million was collected from the victim's family. Everything was at Awo (cult) level."

Rescue

Describing how the rescue was hatched, police boss, Katsina, said: "It was the result of a week operation, coming barely one week after my transfer here. It was a disturbing phenomenon.

"We launched operation Hell Wind on the night that the matter was reported with help from the newly constituted Ambush Squad.

"We succeeded in locating the hideout and engaged the kidnappers in a shootout that lasted from midnight till the early hours when they were overpowered."

He called on hospitals, traditional clinics in the state to be vigilant and report anyone with bullet wounds that might come to them for treatment.

by TaboolaSponsored LinksYou May Like http://odili.net/news/source/2015/mar/12/316.html
Re: 78-yr-old Narrates Ordeal In Kidnappers’ Den, As Police Arrest 7 Suspects by tyson99(m): 6:29am On Mar 13, 2015
speechless
Re: 78-yr-old Narrates Ordeal In Kidnappers’ Den, As Police Arrest 7 Suspects by B69U: 7:52am On Mar 13, 2015
too much crime
Re: 78-yr-old Narrates Ordeal In Kidnappers’ Den, As Police Arrest 7 Suspects by waternogetenemy: 9:52am On Mar 13, 2015
no respect for elders again.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Will Waste Another Four Years Whoever Becomes President / Jonathan Sacks Mashi, Appoints New Acting Chairman For FIRS / Don’t Be Afraid Of Jail-buhari’s Wife To Patience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.