Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,891 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? (731 Views)

10 Reasons Why Your Smartphone May Be Charging Slowly And Possible Fixes / Meet Robin Android Voice Assistant And Alternative For Cortana And Sir / Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? by ballantyne: 3:35pm On Mar 13, 2015
The top mobile operating systems of today always market their inbuilt voice assistant as a very good and useful feature of their OS.
Apple - Siri
Google - Google now
Microsoft - Cortana

My question now is in reality, how many times have you had the need to use them? or how many times has it solved a problem for you?

I use an android device (a high-end android device) running android Lollipop and my experience with Google now hasn't been very nice. I would launch the Voice assistant service with "Ok Google" and then "yell" my command to it. Sometimes it gets it right but that's only 10% of the time, other times, it just mutilates the request and does a very different thing.

So, I think "Maybe it is because I am African and my accent might make my English less understandable to the service". I go to the settings and change the voice settings to South African English (since it is the only African English there). This improved the accuracy somewhat but it is still not usable. I say "How to create a file with python" it hears "How to create a cellphone".

I cannot recline in my seat and give instructions to my device on my desk without seeming mad. Even when I yell, I can't guarantee that the command will be processed right.

Has it been useful for you? Do you have any tips on how to use it?
Those on other platforms, do you experience this issue as well?

Please share your experiences.
Re: Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? by Whizpeter(m): 10:13pm On Mar 13, 2015
NOPE
Re: Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? by BedLam: 7:08am On Mar 14, 2015
I use LG g3 and it comes with its own voice ish and I must say it's super awesome. the bittch do tell me gotta things about Nigeria.
Re: Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? by blaquemyc: 7:26am On Mar 14, 2015
it's not always accurate since our accent is not the same as theirs but overall, its been fun using it. I use when I feel lazy typing.
Re: Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? by ballantyne: 1:47pm On Mar 15, 2015
blaquemyc:
it's not always accurate since our accent is not the same as theirs but overall, its been fun using it. I use when I feel lazy typing.
You think it is reliable?
Re: Have You Found The Voice Assistant In Your Smartphone Useful? by ballantyne: 1:48pm On Mar 15, 2015
BedLam:
I use LG g3 and it comes with its own voice ish and I must say it's super awesome. the bittch do tell me gotta things about Nigeria.
You only use it to search about Nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

MTN Free Tariff Plan - Offers N4800 Free Calls / Android M Is Now Officially LUNCHED- Called 6.0 Marshmallow / Former Apple CEO Set To Launch Two New Smartphones In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.