Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,925 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

I'm Tired Of Law - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm Tired Of Law (8997 Views)

Emily Alemika: First Female Professor Of Law From Kogi State / UNICAL Suspends Dean of Faculty of Law Over Alleged Rape Of Student / Dean Faculty Of Law Unical Accused Of Raping 400l Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by UjSizzle(f): 6:05am On Mar 14, 2015
Safarigirl what's love got to do with it? I hate drugs, but take it anyway because I want my body to survive whatever illness currently ravages it.
It's no different now. You don't have to love law or all the reading involved to begin with. All you need to do is think about a future in this crazy country and what choices today gives you the best possible value tomorrow.
When you identify it, work your buttt off. Love doesn't get you the crown, hard work does... Even hard work for the things you dislike.

When you get what you need, you can go for what you want smiley

Best wishes.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 7:24am On Mar 14, 2015
prof800:

I say you go ahead with the course and finish it.

But ensure to always keep track with your passions along the line.

Then you'll win both ways. If you need to use your law degree you'll know by then.

Most of us just go to school to have the papers since our real passions cannot be studied within the four walls of a classroom.

This seems to be your case. So I say go ahead and have fun. Murder the course and have a swell time in school. (follow my signature) wink

I thought you were gonna be a sports journalist or blogger sha. But "writing is also good" especially if it is screenwriting wink.

prof800 wishes you luck.
lol...I've actually considered both. Got a blog, but it's not active, apparently you need a laptop to use a blog efficiently so that one is on hold for now.

With the sports journalism, I was offered a job once, but it was in Lagos, I would have taken it if it were in Abuja. So that angle...anything involving writing, be it on sports, politics, fiction, I'm in. But I've only been able to write fiction so far

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 7:27am On Mar 14, 2015
UjSizzle:
Safarigirl what's love got to do with it? I hate drugs, but take it anyway because I want my body to survive whatever illness currently ravages it.
It's no different now. You don't have to love law or all the reading involved to begin with. All you need to do is think about a future in this crazy country and what choices today gives you the best possible value tomorrow.
When you identify it, work your buttt off. Love doesn't get you the crown, hard work does... Even hard work for the things you dislike.

Best wishes.
that's one angle to it...but I absolutely hate failure. I don't want to be where I'll either fail or I just barely pass. It's pointless if after 5 years, my CGPA would be too weak for law school

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by haibe(m): 7:47am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
that's one angle to it...but I absolutely hate failure. I don't want to be where I'll either fail or I just barely pass. It's pointless if after 5 years, my CGPA would be too weak for law school

Sweety it's all in mind. I don't dispute that your passion for a course should be studied but one thing I believe is that you can actually have passion or do well in something "if you want to".
I studied Accounting in the university because I liked financial accounting while in secondary school not knowing I will face entirely different accounting courses from financial accounting in the university and so at a point I got tired of some courses (e.g taxation). I barely enjoyed reading taxation until I thought to myself that I can actually love this course if I want to, I just got to do some research about tax accounting itself and before you know it, taxation became one of my favourite.

I might not be able to say much but I believe it's all in the mind, I never had passion for computer science too but I wanted to know and learn programming and I am doing so now with happiness. So you should just sit down and talk to yourself that you can do whatever you want, our number 1 limitation is ourself and that's why your mindset is very important. You can do it

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Seun(m): 7:49am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
I like the idea of law, but the things that make me happy- writing, singing, dancing, rapping...Law doesn't give room for such
What specific kind of jobs/businesses would you like to do for a living when you graduate? Which 1 would you pick if forced to choose 1?

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by haibe(m): 7:58am On Mar 14, 2015
UjSizzle:

Best wishes.

I agree except that she might need to like it, even it's a bit before she can work hard in it. And that's where mindset comes to play
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by swtdarling(f): 8:59am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl,before u think of changing your course, think if it would take u longer than if u continue studying law.my point is that u should graduate early and be an achiever at an early age. This phrase u going thru happened to me too,i found my self day- dreaming about who I wanted to be which was totally different from my course and reading became a chore to me.

So I jst prayed that I dnt get distracted easily from reading,who says oaps dnt address crowd now.look at toke makinwa,toolz etc,they are now called to host shows with plenty crowds.see dnt view ur course as totally useless,it would help u a great deal and it doesnt stop u from achieving your dreams.and even wen u become an oap,singer,writer etc,u might want to diversify later.pls multitask dear,keep doing what u love and study too.All the best
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Fribery: 9:27am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:

I like the idea of law, but the things that make me happy- writing, singing, dancing, rapping.. (AND FOOTBALL... angry angry .. )... Law doesn't give room for such

I was searching to see football on that list.. what happened??

my advice

if the above mentioned + football is what you like, I would advice you to delve into mass communication mixed with your passion for football. who knows you can be a renowned football journalist/pundit/presenter tomorrow.. matched with your good looks ..

that's if truely your the one behind those your footballing comment and not your brother! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Excelboi(m): 9:36am On Mar 14, 2015
Currently a law student in my 4th year. If you really feel your passion for the course is zero, pls you can kindly switch to another course since it's not that late yet. All the best.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by UjSizzle(f): 9:42am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
I was just as scared of failing when I began writing a professional course in accounting. But hun, that fear is crippling. Get your mind off it, tell yourself everyday that this is important. If it's important then you will find a way around it.
You say you like to write cool. So do I. Then write. You can start a blog or freelance for other sites (you can write for me sef tongue). You can take studying law as additional fodder for expressing your thoughts when you write. There are principles of accounting I like to use when I'm bothered to find a connection (even though the discipline makes me yawn sometimes). A less than passionate course doesn't close the door to your dreams if you see it as a necessary part of moving from Point A (where you are) to Point B (where you would like to be).

Like someone suggested it is a thing of mindset. Work on that and you will be fine smiley And take it a day at a time.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by jaybee3(m): 9:51am On Mar 14, 2015
akinsadeez:

To start with, you seem to have the wrong idea that reading law is all about practicing. You can read law and be a solicitor only and not practice. There are purely commercial law firms in Nigeria making billions, (not millions) who hardly step foot in court. That does not make those working there any less lawyers. These are the firms that handle complex deals involving millions of dollars. It is not compulsory you practice if you don't have flair for it.
While I was in school and even up till now, I read law reports as if I am reading novels. I find it so intriguing to see lawyers approaching the same facts in the same case from opposite angles and the subsequent battle of intellect. I love reading supreme court cases to see how a lawyer can convince d apex court to overturn the judgment of three judges (at least) of d court of appeal. I have the flair and passion for it and it shows when I am appearing in court.

Reading law and becoming a lawyer opens up so many opportunities for you. After being called you can work in Kpmg, PWC, Delloitte, or even become an OAP and not practice but trust me wherever you are working, you will be accorded respect because you are a lawyer. I have never regretted being a lawyer and I'm sure you wont. Stick with it, evaluate yourself again after being called to d bar and then follow your heart.
End of discussion!
You've said it all

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by UjSizzle(f): 9:56am On Mar 14, 2015
haibe:

I agree except that she might need to like it, even it's a bit before she can work hard in it. And that's where mindset comes to play
Like? Nah. I can say I don't enjoy accounting one bit. Who will anyway, darn thing makes you wanna go to sleep. But I am also bloody good at it because I hate to fail at anything. I want to help people. I want to be financially stable enough to provide the things I need. I want to be relevant to the society. And by God I am getting my head into a multinational company of my choice in the nearest future tongue

So what I think she really needs is reasons why what she is doing relevant. If we had our ways we'd skip writing exams (unless you're Jarus), but we understand it's the only way to prove that something taught has been duly understood.
What she needs is to do is figure out the 'why'. Why Law? If that question's answered then she'll work out the rest.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by whizqueen(f): 10:26am On Mar 14, 2015
Naijaboiy your attention please smiley

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by konstantin(m): 10:41am On Mar 14, 2015
@safarigal if really u have a sweet voice, I tink u ll make a wonderful OAP. I've checked u out n Yes u have wat it takes, except 4 ur voice dat I dont knw abt of course. Jst hang on there, we no go die 4 here.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 10:54am On Mar 14, 2015
Seun:

What specific kind of jobs/businesses would you like to do for a living when you graduate? Which 1 would you pick if forced to choose 1?
writing

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by akinsadeez(m): 10:58am On Mar 14, 2015
There was a friend of mine who only studied law to please her father. Her main passion was fashion designing. This girl would create very beautiful designs and sew them perfectly. From our year 2 till we graduated in year 5, she was d one always winning d 'most creative' award at the faculty dinner. While we were cracking our heads in law of evidence class, cramming cases and statutes she would be with her pad sketching designs. She graduated with us, albeit with a low grade and also passed law school. After our call, she abandoned her wig and gown and opened a shop to fully pursue her passion. Today, if you step into her shop you would be amazed. The caliber of clients she attracts is jaw-dropping. Apart from being insanely good at what she does, the clients know that they are not just dealing with the average Iya Bukky tailor, they are dealing with a lawyer.

I have read one of your stories and I think you are a very good writer. There is nothing bad in having Safari girl LLB, BL at the back cover of your books. grin law cannot stop you from pursuing your passion. Rather it will help you. Lolo1 is a popular OAP in Nigeria today but she is a lawyer who even practiced for a few years before going into broadcasting.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 11:03am On Mar 14, 2015
Excelboi:
Currently a law student in my 4th year. If you really feel your passion for the course is zero, pls you can kindly switch to another course since it's not that late yet. All the best.
lol, it's late o. Switching would mean applying for JAMB again cuz this school has no Mass Comm and I don old finish

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 11:20am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
lol, it's late o. Switching would mean applying for JAMB again cuz this school has no Mass Comm and I don old finish

cheesy
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by naijaboiy: 11:21am On Mar 14, 2015
whizqueen:
Naijaboiy your attention please smiley
Lol...what if I tell you i'm somewhat in her shoes. smiley
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by whizqueen(f): 11:47am On Mar 14, 2015
naijaboiy:

Lol...what if I tell you i'm somewhat in her shoes. smiley
shocked angry thats serious then
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by naijaboiy: 11:50am On Mar 14, 2015
whizqueen:

shocked angry thats serious then
Kidding cheesy

But I understand her plight sha!

There are many people i've come across like that.

They just seem tired of everything.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by whizqueen(f): 11:52am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Babe if you fink re-applying will do you more good thanks arm please go ahead not minding age.
On a lighter note, your certificate or what you studied doesn't completely determine what you do later in life.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by whizqueen(f): 11:55am On Mar 14, 2015
naijaboiy:

Kidding cheesy

But I understand her plight sha!

There are many people i've come across like that.

They just seem tired of everything.
Lolz, Good to know it was a joke.

Buh can you help with some advice that you fink must have helped those you came across?
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by leggo: 12:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
I was going to use an alternate moniker for this, but what the hell?

I'm just not happy here.

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time reading it. When I sit and listen to others talk about going to law school and practicing, I take on a 'whatever' stance. It's not my passion....funny enough I don't think my passion(s) can take me anywhere- at least not in Nigeria

I'm not passionate about law. I don't see myself in a wig and gown or a law court. Everytime I write an exam, I don't feel like I wrote enough to pass. And all I think of is serial F's or just useless grades....what's the point?

Is there really any point in studying a course you have no passion for? I know many people do it mostly because all they see is the profit in the long term, but I'm not programmed like that.

I need advice, because I'm really unhappy and I might even say depressed anytime I think of this course

*singing Tomorrow from Annie*

Keep trying your best. In my 3rd year studying law i abandoned school for a whole semester, my mates thought i transferred, my CGPA fell like the wall of jericho. I have clinical depression and got meds. Depression is bad, get professional help if you don't think its just a temporary mental block.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by AnonymX: 1:25pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
I was going to use an alternate moniker for this, but what the hell?

I'm just not happy here.

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time reading it. When I sit and listen to others talk about going to law school and practicing, I take on a 'whatever' stance. It's not my passion....funny enough I don't think my passion(s) can take me anywhere- at least not in Nigeria

I'm not passionate about law. I don't see myself in a wig and gown or a law court. Everytime I write an exam, I don't feel like I wrote enough to pass. And all I think of is serial F's or just useless grades....what's the point?

Is there really any point in studying a course you have no passion for? I know many people do it mostly because all they see is the profit in the long term, but I'm not programmed like that.

I need advice, because I'm really unhappy and I might even say depressed anytime I think of this course

*singing Tomorrow from Annie*

I'm also a Law student, outside Nigeria though.

I'm fed up plus what I really want to become is a writer/poet/media bussiness person.

I'm intelligent with ideas but my results suggest something different.

Just hold on...maybe as Plan B.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Madawaki01(m): 1:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
asuoka:

Madawaki01 ur a mad fellow...u just go on awol...
no be my fault oo baba
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by AnonymX: 1:38pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
lol...I've actually considered both. Got a blog, but it's not active, apparently you need a laptop to use a blog efficiently so that one is on hold for now.

With the sports journalism, I was offered a job once, but it was in Lagos, I would have taken it if it were in Abuja. So that angle...anything involving writing, be it on sports, politics, fiction, I'm in. But I've only been able to write fiction so far

I could help you sell on Kindle..

You could do it while studying...just like I do...I mean, the writing.

I've always admired you, right from my old moniker.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Madawaki01(m): 1:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
Studying LAW is not really in any way what we thought it was before gaining admission...we just have to HOLD ON!!!

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 2:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
Thank you. How do I sell on kindle? It confuses me
AnonymX:

I could help you sell on Kindle..

You could do it while studying...just like I do...I mean, the writing.

I've always admired you, right from my old moniker.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by AnonymX: 5:09pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Thank you. How do I sell on kindle? It confuses me

PM me...but first, you need to create an Amazon account and do not use any of the passwords you already use because I might need to log in to format.

Or email me

psot2014@yandex.com
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Seun(m): 5:36pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
writing
Can you rate your interest in the following types of writing jobs on a scale of 0 to 10?
1) Fiction writing (novels, shorts)
2) Song writing (music & lyrics)
3) Screen writing (movies & tv)
4) Non-fiction (biographies, textbooks, etc)
5) General freelance writing (for websites, etc)

Also, how interested are you in the following writing-related fields, on a scale of 0 to 10?
1) Editing (copywriting, managing publications, etc)
2) Public relations (for companies, politicians, etc)
3) Journalism (newspapers, tv)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Uyo 2017/2018 Post-UTME Screening Form Is Out / Yabatech Lecturers Go On Indefinite Strike Action / Wtf!! See What Aksu Students Were Caught Doing All Because Of ASUU Strike 18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.