Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,406 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD (17399 Views)

How To Survive A Job Loss / How To Survive A Job Loss / 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by oluemmakay(m): 3:14pm On Mar 16, 2015
This is very insightful for me. I wish to have more of this tips as i prepare for my Phd anytime nextyear...God willing...
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by CrazyMan(m): 5:34pm On Mar 16, 2015
husseinjnr:
This is not true Vic, from personal experience, in as much as i spent a fortune doing my Masters, my PHD journey is based on availability of scholarships. A search on PHD positions will reveal to you that there are lot of funding out there. Note that most German universities have very low tuition. The Scandinavians Universities are also of low tuition.
Kindly read his post again. He said Nigeria not Germany. And secondly, regardless of how cheap the program is in germany, majority of Nigerias lack the finance needed to make such trip.
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by oc2fish: 6:02pm On Mar 16, 2015
[/color][quote author=Vicjustice post=31664125][color=#990000]Unfortunately, as there is no grant or supporting scheme in Nigeria, only the comfortable ones attain to this level, a poor person can not get there no matter how educationally smart s/he is or how much desire s/he has[/quot

If you look closely you will see grant. Up Nija
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by jeffoe(m): 6:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
While I have passion for graduate studies, what are the opportunity out there for phd holders, after spending those long years in studies. learnt some phd holder applied to dangote cemnent as drivers.
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by uzhi(m): 6:37pm On Mar 16, 2015
Nice write-up, wont forget this even during my pre phd (msc). Thumb up !
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by Ijeleigbo(m): 7:49pm On Mar 16, 2015
jeffoe:
While I have passion for graduate studies, what are the opportunity out there for phd holders, after spending those long years in studies. learnt some phd holder applied to dangote cemnent as drivers.

To me i don't think its about the opportunity alone. The drive for acquiring a PhD gives a feeling of self accomplishment.
i dream to be a professor in the future and that dream is my motivating factor that drives me to attain the highest academic standard.

2 Likes

Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by Z8(m): 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2015
IleIfe2:
I'm not sure about the word count part though. 40 - 48 thousand words for a paper

Depends, I have a friend whose word count is 70,000.
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by jeffoe(m): 8:35pm On Mar 16, 2015
Ijeleigbo:

To me i don't think its about the opportunity alone. The drive for acquiring a PhD gives a feeling of self accomplishment.
i dream to be a professor in the future and that dream is my motivating factor that drives me to attain the highest academic standard.
u have to be in the academia to become a prof and maybe bootlick senior profs. The politics involve is too strong, my school laws says 1st class graduate would get an automatic offer to the graduate assistant position, but if your father aint a professor in my school. Then you need heavy prayers, I understand the feeling of accomplishment, again some phd program have been politicized hence "there are phds and there are phds" if one doesn't get a job in the academia, I don't think @ dat age one would be hustling for entry level job. I need serious advice on the topic of the thread.
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by EdoPrince: 9:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
Great. Tip #2 never really hit me until when I listened to one Doctor gave a seminar similar to my dissertation topic. At the end, I said what? If this guy succeeds in his PhD program, I am way better and would just be fine so long as I take ownership of my destiny.
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by wtfCode: 9:36pm On Mar 16, 2015
mine is to focus on making more money when i'm outta university.
Phd's taking u no where,unless u wanna be a lecturer.
I can only go for masters.
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by charmingeyes(m): 11:47am On May 30, 2015
Ishilove:

One million ke? Which school did you run it?

FUTO oo!
Re: Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD by myGodisgood(f): 1:37pm On Jul 27, 2015
Pls I need links on websites for research students. I need materials for my thesis. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? / How Much Do Micro-Finance Banks Pay At Entry Level?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.