Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,570 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Powdered Okro Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Powdered Okro Soup (4812 Views)

A Nairalander (a Bachelor) Preparing Okro Soup This Morning. / Step By Step Picture Of A Nairalander Cooking Okro Soup With Amala / Why Do Most People Forbid Okro Soup Especially At Parties??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Powdered Okro Soup by ryom(m): 9:32pm On Mar 13, 2015
Has anyone used powdered okro before? Just got a packet from the shop and wondered how it is prepared. It is whitish in colour.
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by ShirelleBaby: 9:36pm On Mar 13, 2015
Never heard of that before.

U mean u can't see any okro seed?
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by ryom(m): 9:53pm On Mar 13, 2015
This is what it looks like

Re: Powdered Okro Soup by hola20: 8:32am On Mar 14, 2015
Mix or whisk it in hot water. It draws automatically.
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by ryom(m): 10:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
@Hola, Ok, will try that. They should have included some instruction on how to prepare.
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by nikkyshyne(f): 11:50pm On Mar 14, 2015
There are always alternatives for most kinds of food sha. Everytin has been packaged to make cooking easier and for those abroad. Anywayz, if it isn't panadol, e no fit be like panadol.

Almost looking like gbegiri though.
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by natureblack(m): 4:38am On Mar 15, 2015
Dear OP,always opt for natural Okra/Lady's finger.Studies show that they are rich sources of dietary fiber,Vitamin K and B-complex group of vitamins.

The more a food is processed and packaged,the further away it becomes from its natural state,and the more its synergistic nutrients are altered.Processed foods also contain added ingredients such as preservatives,which increasingly alters that food and its ratios.

..........you don't need a silver fork to eat good food.

3 Likes

Re: Powdered Okro Soup by myselfonly: 1:42am On Mar 18, 2015
This is very popular in the north especially among the hausas, more popular than Fresh okra.
it is called 'busashiyyar kubewa'(dried okra).
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by kween01: 3:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
There has always been powdered okro from ages, infact I av always known it with my grandma for more than twenty years. It's the normal okro, diced and dried then pounded, it has no addictive contrary to an upper post, just that the one d op has is too smooth probably it was grinded in a milling machine. It's called orunla in yoruba, I know hausa do it too but I don't knw the name they call it.

2 Likes

Re: Powdered Okro Soup by akinwole21: 2:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
It is called 'Orunla' in Yoruba land. My mum prepares it herself rom scratch and its a delicacy in my house. Prepare it like you are making normal okra, but the secret to this is you only need a little to make a full pot of okra soup.
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by ryom(m): 9:03pm On Mar 21, 2015
Thanks Akinwole, it did work, but not quite like the one my mama made back in the days!
Re: Powdered Okro Soup by akinwole21: 4:28pm On Mar 23, 2015
You are welcome. We cant compare the way our mums cooked with the way we cook in our generation. Most of us have forgotten about the natural spices such as "Iru", "Ogiri" and the likes. I remember my sister telling my mum how bad "ogiri" smells whenever my mum cooked with it. The end product is a very tasty soup of either okra or ogbono. Our mothers are great cooks and I doff my hat for them. Back to the ground okra, my mum sent me some and she said to mix it with the boiling mix of pepper and get a good consistency as it might be lumpy if I use it dry. Once you have mixed it properly, then u add it to the remaining boiling mixture and keep stirring till its well incorporated. Mine was a bit watery, I added a bit of ogbono to help thicken it and draw very well.

(1) (Reply)

52kg Basket Of Farm Fresh Tomatoes / Eating In The Bus ? / Cost Of Hamburger In The US Vs Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.