Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,458 members, 7,954,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:36 AM

10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria (86839 Views)

I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA / 10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry / 10 Reasons Why Lagos Is Better Than Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by ttmacoy: 6:48pm On Mar 21, 2015
Bravo, nice impartial advice there and I agree with it totally. The main positive to Nigeria i get from pool talking to me about coming back is the possibility to make more money quickly.

Whilst this isn't a guarantee as you also lose money very quickly especially when it depends on knowing specific people in relevant positions, and a decision needs to be made on what is more important and also this depends on your earning capability in the US compared to Nigeria.

jjman2322:
Hey lady, please read this fully before you make a mistake..

Can you guys please stop advising her to move here.... She needs to visit first for a month and see if she likes it..

I have some time and I can relate so let me explain both to you..

I moved to the USA when I was young (for grade school), and lived there for 16 years before moving back recently.. I know both sides very well..Im still in my late 20's. Note that im a USA citizen so it's not like I cant move back if I want to,

Nigeria is a GREAT country if you have some money to be very comfortable... I have constant electricity (with generators), have drivers, maids, cooks, and security, but even with all these I still miss the States..

PROS OF NIGERIA:

1. Better Food
2. Good Weather
3. Corruption works in your favour (Forget ever getting speeding tickets, getting points on your license, etc, N200 and you're free)
4. Laid Back
5. More business opportunities (if you have a solid PLAN)
6. Easier life (maids, cooks, etc)
7. Minimal racism. In Nigeria you are judged by how rich you are. If you have money nobody will ever discriminate against you.

THIS IS ABOUT IT..

now for the CONS OF NIGERIA

1. Its very hot and humid, but its a little better than the cold.
2. The love for money here is strong, (Most girls I meet just want money, unlike the states where you could be poor and still easily get girls)
3. Lack of constant electricity..
4. You need AC's all year round to be comfortable.
5. Its unsafe.. Everyday someone is getting robbed or kidnapped.
6. It's a little boring, and let me explain:

In the USA, if i got bored I could easily go skiing at a resort for a weekend, or hit up miami beach... I can also go to Vegas or head to Colorado for the nature. Of course you could also do a weekend in NYC or if you feel like being romantic you could hit up hawaii for a week.

Basically the USA has a lot more to do, due to the 50 states and the much better airline travel. In nigeria most people's idea of fun is (movie theater & clubs & malls). People smoke in clubs so I stopped going a lot. Our malls are also nothing to write home about. One of my friends was raving about the mall in Lagos so i did visit it last year. LOL.. I was like dude you need to come and see an actual mall abroad. The things they call malls here are comparable to "STRIP MALLS" in the states. Im sure you understand that.

7. The culture is conservative. If you have tattoos or wear certain stuff you will be judged by others as a "wayward" girl.

8. The poverty level here is insane, and it'll get to you eventually. There are thousands of people on the streets, blind, no legs, etc, just begging for money. It's sad.

9. The healthcare here isn't up to par. I recently had some problems and went to a big/nice hospital and they couldn't figure out what was wrong even after using their machines. I then visited a doctor in the states and in a few minutes they knew what was wrong.. You can't blame them though, how do you expect Nigeria hospitals to afford equipment that costs millions of dollars. There's a reason the rich seek treatment outside Nigeria.

Most Nigerians would not agree with me and would argue that Nigeria has some top hospitals, however ask anyone who has gotten a surgery or delivered a baby in the United States, and they would concur with me that there is no comparison.

10. No 911 to call.. Most people actually survive car accidents initially except in Nigeria there's no way for them to get to the hospital quickly. Besides hospitals here would require a payment before fully treating you and operating on you.

11. Level of dust/dirt, but this doesn't bother me too much.

This is all I can think of that really bothers me for now.. There's a lot more but those are minor issues.

So you may ask why I stay.

Well im here because I make a lot more money here than I could make in the states, plus i have help to do basic things. I can also visit the states whenever I want to. If it weren't for the money, I would not be here...

Thats why you are getting conflicting opinions. Nigeria is OK if you have a lot of money, and your money goes a longer way here. If you don't have good money then don't leave the states and come down here.. You will probably regret it.

My suggestion to you: Move to the west coast. Less racism, perfect weather, and laid back life style... Try that before moving here..

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 23, 2015
extension:
you are about to make the 10 biggest mistake in your life.
I'm telling u

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 15, 2015
Glamrock
Still moving?? cheesy
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by vokalguy(m): 12:51pm On Jun 15, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Glamrock
Still moving?? cheesy

Yea, we need an update

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 8:57pm On Jun 15, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Glamrock
Still moving?? cheesy

Hi! Yes I still plan to move, I'm waiting on my visa now so that I may visit in August
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 15, 2015
Glamrock:

Hi! Yes I still plan to move, I'm waiting on my visa now so that I may visit in August
Bwahaha... You aren't serious, dude. For all these times you are still preparing. That sounds like a joke to me. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Glamrock(f): 9:01pm On Jun 15, 2015
all4naija:
Bwahaha... You aren't serious, dude. For all these times you are still preparing. That sounds like a joke to me. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I've never stated that I was moving immediately
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jun 15, 2015
Glamrock:

smiley
Which state do you plan staying??
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Dyoungstar: 8:50am On Aug 14, 2015
I admire your courage glamrock, I look forward to seeing you.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Horus(m): 4:39pm On Mar 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9alOCWz3KE

he Top 4 Reasons i'm Moving Back to Nigeria.
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 11:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
Any Nigerian that makes this move in 2017 is on his own o

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by tck2000(m): 10:11am On Jul 20, 2019
Re: 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria by ogbonoeba: 12:43am On Sep 01, 2019
Are Nigerians in America still moving back to Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

A City In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity Supply! / Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This / I Just Got To The Gambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.