Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa (815 Views)

Fire Outbreak At Livestock Market In Gombe, Kills Over 100 Animals (Photos) / The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks / In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by Aspireahead(m): 8:06pm On Mar 15, 2015
With online retailers Jumia and Konga making
considerable inroads in Africa’s largest economy
and with the exponential growth of other online
transactions, PayPal has revealed that Nigeria has
already grown to become its second largest
market in Africa after South Africa, less than one
year after it was launched in Nigeria.
Making this known, Malvina Goldfield, PayPal Head
of Business Development, sub-Saharan Africa,
expressed satisfaction with PayPal’s acceptance in
the country since its launch last year.
“We are very happy to see that PayPal has been
widely welcomed by Nigerians since the launch of
the service in the country last year,” Goldfeld said.
“Over time we plan to expand our service offering
in Nigeria to include services that will LEAD to
better experiences in online and mobile payment
methods in Nigeria,” he added.
While PayPal customers in Nigeria can open an
account and send money internationally for free,
the company is yet to open up its payment
gateway to merchants who want to receive
money, a decision so many people are not happy
with.
On this, Goldfield said: “Nigeria is a very interesting
market and over time we may expand our
presence, but for now we are satisfied to help
Nigerians register for free for a PayPal account and
make payments on overseas websites.”
PayPal is an international digital wallet based e-
commerce business allowing payments and
money transfers to be made through the Internet.
PayPal signed up tens of thousand of Nigerians in
its first week of operating in Africa's biggest
economy, with consumers already purchasing
items from Britain, China and the United States via
its online platform, a company official said.
E-commerce remains in its infancy in most of Africa
but is growing exponentially with the advent of
online retailers such as Jumia, partly owned by
South African phone operator MTN, and a growing
middle class with money to spend.
Before the launch of PayPal, which is the payment
unit for online auctioneer eBay Inc., Nigerians
could not buy goods directly from foreign
merchants.
PayPal entered Nigeria and 10 other nations last
year, providing online payment alternatives for
consumers via mobile phones or personal
computers in markets often blighted by financial
fraud. The new markets bring the number of
countries PayPal serves to 203.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/in-less-than-a-year-nigeria-now-paypal-s-number-two-market-in-africa/203834/#.VQALU58XLw0.facebook
Re: In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by Aspireahead(m): 8:07pm On Mar 15, 2015
lalastical
Re: In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by MaconAwire(m): 8:20pm On Mar 15, 2015
OYINBO AND WAYO.... DEM GO SAY CHAI SEE WETIN WE BEEN DEY MISS ALL THIS WHILE.
awire was here!
Re: In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by bigtt76(f): 8:24pm On Mar 15, 2015
I tot they were scared of Naija na? Dem for remain there na. Beats me how they could ignore a country with 160 million people and they expect to be number one in their game?
Re: In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by Aspireahead(m): 8:38pm On Mar 15, 2015
bigtt76:
I tot they were scared of Naija na? Dem for remain there na. Beats me how they could ignore a country with 160 million people and they expect to be number one in their game?
i wonder.... But their limited offer is insulting...atleast, that is what i tink.
Re: In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by bigtt76(f): 9:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
Very true! I've not bothered opening one account or updating my previously opened ones ...I care less afterall with my Naija issued Master Card Naira I can transact on many foreign sites including almighty Apple.com sef grin I cannot remember when I was rejected last on any foreign shopping site

Aspireahead:

i wonder.... But their limited offer is insulting...atleast, that is what i tink.

1 Like

Re: In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by Aspireahead(m): 9:30pm On Mar 15, 2015
bigtt76:
Very true! I've not bothered opening one account or updating my previously opened ones ...I care less afterall with my Naija issued Master Card Naira I can transact on many foreign sites including almighty Apple.com sef grin I cannot remember when I was rejected last on any foreign shopping site

which of the bank do u use? I use acess visa card but they still have limitations as some merchants dont accept it.
Re: In Less Than A Year, Nigeria Now Paypal’s Number Two Market In Africa by bigtt76(f): 6:24am On Mar 16, 2015
Zenith Bank Master Card naira

Aspireahead:

which of the bank do u use? I use acess visa card but they still have limitations as some merchants dont accept it.

(1) (Reply)

Petrochemical Business / Bank Accounts Will Become A Thing Of The Past / What Are The Best 5 Businesses To Start In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.