Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars (2331 Views)

This Is Why American Cars Are Left-hand Drive And British Are Right-hand Drive / Japanese Vs German Vs American Cars / Needed...a Good Mechanic For American Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 17, 2015
Hello fellow car talk members, pls I'll like you to go through this site, read diligently before you purchase some american cars because they're actually death traps. This isn't my blog its a site I found online and I felt its proper to share with you guys.

Pls no insults matured comments are appreciated.

www.pando.com/2014/10/18/gms-hit-and-run-how-a-lawyer-mechanic-and-engineer-blew-the-lid-off-the-worst-auto-scandal-in-history/

Tags: adanny, siena, uboma, gazzuzz, autosbay, smartchoices, nurey, denn, coldplay, sultaan, ikenna351, et al.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Readonee35L(m): 4:00pm On Mar 17, 2015
Will read it later in the day
Very very very long
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 17, 2015
Readonee35L:
Will read it later in the day
Very very very long

Chai. This is indirect space booking o! grin

1 Like

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by lonelydora: 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
Bookmarked
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Readonee35L(m): 7:47pm On Mar 17, 2015
lomomike:

Chai. This is indirect space booking o! grin
grin
Eh ma soh mi lenu oh...
thanks for the information
I appreciate
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 8:00pm On Mar 17, 2015
Readonee you're welcome bro!

Lonelydora, you too! shocked grin

@ topic, really, a lot of things about the cars we drive are swept under the carpet or masked. Most times car manufacturers are after the sales numbers and money. They careless about the safety, wellbeing and convenience of their target customers which is a huge contrast from what they advertise on media. If not for people who are willing to spend sleepless nights, money, time, and sometimes risk their lives and that of their families. I won't be surprised to hear that car manufacturers would actually hire detectives and assassins to silent someone who've discovered a hidden anomaly in a car and wanna blow it up for all to know.

Kudos to the Lawyer, the Mechanic et al.

If such happens in highly developed societies, what would be our own plight here in Nigeria/Africa if similar defects occurs during car making/assembly are in our own countries and how would they be tackled?

1 Like

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by DaimlerBen(m): 9:38pm On Mar 17, 2015
"...Time calculated that if you took all of the cars that GM has recalled this year and lined them up bumper to bumper, you’d end up with a line that would wrap around the earth four times. Stack them and you’d reach halfway to the moon..."
...And Enugu State Govt bought the Chevy Aveo in droves around that period! I don't think I'd want any GM product after reading this.
*mod*
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
DaimlerBen:
"...Time calculated that if you took all of the cars that GM has recalled this year and lined them up bumper to bumper, you’d end up with a line that would wrap around the earth four times. Stack them and you’d reach halfway to the moon..."
...And Enugu State Govt bought the Chevy Cobalt in droves around that period! I don't think I'd want any GM product after reading this.
Ever since Merc went US, things started going wrong, It got to the crescendo with the Merger of Daimler and Chrysler. Thank goodness the Germans realised the evil going on among American car makers. But the effect of the merger was and still is reliability issues which affected Mercs. Despite the huge bailout, they stool looked and feel like shoddy job done-which they are actually. Look at most American cars produced during the American automotive recession down to the global economic recession around 2013, you'll hate anything wearing an American badge on wheel.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Raymie(m): 11:15pm On Mar 17, 2015
lomomike:

Ever since Merc went US, things started going wrong, It got to the crescendo with the Merger of Daimler and Chrysler. Thank goodness the Germans realised the evil going on among American car makers. But the effect of the merger was and still is reliability issues which affected Mercs. Despite the huge bailout, they stool looked and feel like shoddy job done-which they are actually. Look at most American cars produced during the American automotive recession down to the global economic recession around 2013, you'll hate anything wearing an American badge on wheel.
Sometimes when I see how people bash the Kia Rio here, I wish they'd take a ride in a Chevrolet Aveo. Doubts will surely be cleared. I took a ride in one of them Abuja cabs and told myself I won't try it again. And this ish didn't only affect American brands, the Toyota/Honda recalls were very prominent around that era as well.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Homguy(m): 11:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
It was a long read, but it was worth every precious second I exhausted reading it. Thanks for sharing bro. Makes me scared of those ones shipped to nigeria where anything goes.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 6:08am On Mar 18, 2015
Raymie:
Sometimes when I see how people bash the Kia Rio here, I wish they'd take a ride in a Chevrolet Aveo. Doubts will surely be cleared. I took a ride in one of them Abuja cabs and told myself I won't try it again. And this ish didn't only affect American brands, the Toyota/Honda recalls were very prominent around that era as well.

The norm is if there's any defect found, produce better replacement parts and slap a new part number on it, publish TSB on it and make recalls. That Honda and Toyota does, in this case, they (the American car coy) knew about the defect, yet kept silent, even endorsed the defective parts, and tried denying such defect happened in their cars, and when the heat was coming up, they made new parts yet slapped same part number on new parts. From all these it shows they don't do thorough testing on parts, extensive endurance testing of each unit of cars, no QC scrutiny, they hide a lot under the carpet.

Evil!
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by billy187(m): 6:36am On Mar 18, 2015
Wow....that caliber was T-boned by a Ford Focus? Jesus!! it looks like it was hit by a D9.

Thanks Op...this writeup is very revealing of the dirt that is swept under the carpet in Detroit. I have always been a fan of American cars, being a American myself- i used to own a Suburban; heck, I even drive a Focus presently! The only non 'murican car i ever owned was a ' 99 subaru outback. I really trust my Focus and I still pray it isnt hiding any gremlins from me.

Nevertheless, we have a proverb in Ghana "when someone's beard is on fire, fetch water by your own." I definitely have to be careful. Some years ago, when That accelerating toyota scandal came by I swore to never buy a toyota -or even another japmobile for that matter....( link to that scum here! www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-20/toyota-pays-1-3-billion-for-defect-cover-up-statements/5332894 ) In retrospect, I think that was an unnecessary move, as most, if not all car manufacturers have a dark side.....all I need do is avoid the cars built during the dark periods.

Or I just need to buy a volvo? grin

1 Like

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
Billy187, that's another episode of evil and corrupt practices perpetuated by car manufacturers. Thanks for the link. More pls let's get really enlightened.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Tobiizzy(m): 8:41am On Mar 18, 2015
Just read the piece, I doubt I can ever purchase a GM product, I won't even sit in one. Thanks for sharing lomomike
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Raymie(m): 9:49am On Mar 18, 2015
Could just imagine myself being in the girl's shoes. Horrible way to die! And to think these cars are shipped off here as 'clean toks'. And kazeem or weeches then get to take blame for factory errors (not absolving Kazeem of any blame tho). After reading the link, I went on to read reviews of the said car. Very very terrible reviews by owners. Yet the car sold up till 2010 or so.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:54am On Mar 18, 2015
Don't buy a car based on cost, or popularity, buy a car based on safety reviews or safety features, obviously that cannot apply to new models, maybe that is a good case for buying top-of-th-end luxury cars even if it is an older model since they tend to cram safety features into such vehicles that dwarf what you can ever find in a late model econobox.

My sibling saw a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am for $500 and considered it a steal, and asked me my opinion, first thing I did was check Wikipedia and NHTSA Crash Test Ratings, here were the results:

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gives the 1999-2005 Grand Am a "Poor" rating in its frontal crash test for marginal structural integrity, a possible head injury, a potential right leg injury, and poor dummy control.

2003 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Crash Test Ratings (coupe):[26]

Frontal Driver: 4/5 stars
Frontal Passenger: 5/5 stars
Side Driver: 1/5 stars
Side Rear Passenger: 4/5 stars
Rollover: 4/5 stars

2003 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Crash Test Ratings (sedan):

Frontal Driver: 4/5 stars
Frontal Passenger: 4/5 stars
Side Driver: 3/5 stars
Side Rear Passenger: 3/5 stars
Rollover: 4/5 stars

I begged him to forget the vehicle on account of the bolded and promised to fund him to buy an older model of a relatively better safety engineered car model
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by simiolu1(m): 2:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
For those of ur wey never buy car, this provides info of what to look out for when buying an automobile.
Mods, take this to Fp straight
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by sultaan(m): 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
That saga cost GM a lot because unlike tha apologetic Toyota that accepted there was a problem with the toyota brake and foot mat with the CEO crying at senate hearing GM was bent on cover up so If you want a car that was built with the customer in mind buy a Toyota.

Toyota recall cannot be replicated but GM knew buy decided to see it as inconvenience
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by billy187(m): 5:23pm On Mar 18, 2015
sultaan:
That saga cost GM a lot because unlike tha apologetic Toyota that accepted there was a problem with the toyota brake and foot mat with the CEO crying at senate hearing GM was bent on cover up so If you want a car that was built with the customer in mind buy a Toyota.

Toyota recall cannot be replicated but GM knew buy decided to see it as inconvenience

Actually, Toyota did try to hide it-blaming the drivers for the acceleration. However, after a class action lawsuit; fuelled by the unfortunate deaths that came into the picture, Toyota had to aplogise and pay....a lot!!!

I can just hope the lawsuit that comes upon GM will be just as expensive for them

1 Like

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by sultaan(m): 1:27am On Mar 19, 2015
But remember they could not replicate it. The police officer that died in the Lexus accident said he could not stop but under any condition a break should stop any runaway vehicle even if he move the transmission to 2 or neutral he should be able to stop every other incident after that was people trying to get some money.

If a bottle of water had fallen into the foot well and rolled under the brake pedal he could step on the brake with the tip of the bottle pressing on the accelerator so accident happens water bottle looks normal out of place but the assumption was floor mat
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by chucky234(m): 9:50am On Mar 19, 2015
billy187:

Actually, Toyota did try to hide it-blaming the drivers for the acceleration. However, after a class action lawsuit; fuelled by the unfortunate deaths that came into the picture, Toyota had to aplogise and pay....a lot!!!

I can just hope the lawsuit that comes upon GM will be just as expensive for them
I know Toyota must be involved.

1 Like

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by chucky234(m): 10:14am On Mar 19, 2015
Hmmm GM are just as devilish as Satan himself, safety is a major problem with most American cars, though not all.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 1:54pm On Mar 19, 2015
Well, a long read, but wort the stress. I tot American cars were the hit, how wrong I have been.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by sultaan(m): 4:40pm On Mar 19, 2015
tpacalipse:
Well, a long read, but wort the stress. I tot American cars were the hit, how wrong I have been.

This is just one bad part used in a couple of model my brother still has a G6 Pontiac that he has to take in for repairs but because has never had a lot of just reminded him to schedule appointment to bring it in for repair so he'll get a free loaner on their newer models over the weekend I know they will try to sell him a Malibu
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by DaimlerBen(m): 6:12pm On Mar 19, 2015
billy187:
Wow....that caliber was T-boned by a Ford Focus? Jesus!! it looks like it was hit by a D9.

Thanks Op...this writeup is very revealing of the dirt that is swept under the carpet in Detroit. I have always been a fan of American cars, being a American myself- i used to own a Suburban; heck, I even drive a Focus presently! The only non 'murican car i ever owned was a ' 99 subaru outback. I really trust my Focus and I still pray it isnt hiding any gremlins from me.

Nevertheless, we have a proverb in Ghana "when someone's beard is on fire, fetch water by your own." I definitely have to be careful. Some years ago, when That accelerating toyota scandal came by I swore to never buy a toyota -or even another japmobile for that matter....( link to that scum here! www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-20/toyota-pays-1-3-billion-for-defect-cover-up-statements/5332894 ) In retrospect, I think that was an unnecessary move, as most, if not all car manufacturers have a dark side.....all I need do is avoid the cars built during the dark periods.

Or I just need to buy a volvo? grin
grin I don't think anyone can beat Volvo's safety record.

1 Like

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by DaimlerBen(m): 6:14pm On Mar 19, 2015
When purchasing a car, look for the most over-engineered one(s) you can find, and I don't mean top speed!
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 19, 2015
DaimlerBen:

grin I don't think anyone can beat Volvo's safety record.

They're built like bank vaults safety wise. Built with only safety in consideration, they've forgotten beauty and physical appeals contours and lines is what folks also consider.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by billy187(m): 7:04am On Mar 20, 2015
sultaan:
But remember they could not replicate it. The police officer that died in the Lexus accident said he could not stop but under any condition a break should stop any runaway vehicle even if he move the transmission to 2 or neutral he should be able to stop every other incident after that was people trying to get some money.

If a bottle of water had fallen into the foot well and rolled under the brake pedal he could step on the brake with the tip of the bottle pressing on the accelerator so accident happens water bottle looks normal out of place but the assumption was floor mat

That is one part that remains vague to me. He was a policeman....and unlike the police around here that are only pros at taking bribes...police in the US undergo very rigorous vehicle training and are experts at driving in demanding situations. I think he might have tried all braking options without sucess. I think so because they had enough time to make a distress call to 911 just before the infamously fatal crash.

Anyways, to those that drive one; does the lexus es 350 have a push button start?
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by chucky234(m): 7:05am On Mar 20, 2015
lomomike:

They're built like bank vaults safety wise. Built with only safety in consideration, they've forgotten beauty and physical appeals contours and lines is what folks also consider.
Volvo cars are pretty beautiful inside, drove a friend's S80 recently and felt I was inside a BMW. I used to own the 2001 S80 which I sold after getting my Honda but after driving my friend's 2006 model I feel like off my EOD to get the Volvo, that car is so underrated bro.
Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by billy187(m): 7:16am On Mar 20, 2015
chucky234:
Volvo cars are pretty beautiful inside, drove a friend's S80 recently and felt I was inside a BMW. I used to own the 2001 S80 which I sold after getting my Honda but after driving my friend's 2006 model I feel like off my EOD to get the Volvo, that car is so underrated bro.

In my opinion the older volvos looked a a bit...homely though very capable vehicles. Howerver the newer ones are pretty sweet as far as looks are concerned.

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by chucky234(m): 7:25am On Mar 20, 2015
billy187:

In my opinion the older volvos looked a a bit...homely though very capable vehicles. Howerver the newer ones are pretty sweet as far as looks are concerned.
Volvo upped their game from 2000 especially with S60, S80 and XC90, those cars are pretty sweet to drive.

1 Like

Re: A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2015
billy187:

That is one part that remains vague to me. He was a policeman....and unlike the police around here that are only pros at taking bribes...police in the US undergo very rigorous vehicle training and are experts at driving in demanding situations. I think he might have tried all braking options without sucess. I think so because they had enough time to make a distress call to 911 just before the infamously fatal crash.

Anyways, to those that drive one; does the lexus es 350 have a push button start?

Its got push start/stop button activated via smart access key system. Lexus became a drive by wire from 2004 till date. However, the 07-date is more technologically advanced and drive by wire than expected.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015 Mercedes Benz C300 Vs 2015 Toyota Avalon Vs 2015 Lexus Es350 / Honda Hala Or Mercedes 190 - Which One Should I Buy? / Ford Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.