Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,662 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:30 PM

8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad (3024 Views)

Star Struck? 5 Best Places To Spot A Nigerian Celebrity In Lagos / 8 Ways To Have Fun On A Business Trip To Lagos / How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 1:47am On Mar 18, 2015
Nigerians are unique people with unusual habits. We are everywhere from United Kingdom to Saudi Arabia. (We no dey carry last!) However, we tend to stand out from other people wherever we go. We don’t need to wrap ourselves with our “green white green’ flag before people can identify us. People don’t need to ask, “Are you a Nigerian”; they just say “You are from Nigeria!”. Well, that is not a bad thing; in fact I love it when people instantly identify me as a citizen of Africa’s big apple. Nigerians are very easy to stereotype. Here are 8 ways to spot a Nigerian abroad:
All photos and information culled from http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/8-ways-to-spot-a-nigerian-abroad/

cc: seun, ishilove, mynd44, lalasticala justwise, DisGuy front page please
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 1:50am On Mar 18, 2015
1. Our traditional attires are very unique
Nigerians are very fond of their traditional attires. You can easily spot a Nigerian by their traditional attire. I remember visiting a store in Cape Town last
year, I saw two black ladies who wore colourful Ankara gowns, and then I thought to myself, they could have bought that from a fashion store. But then again, I recognized the ‘Naija’ image – we are always comfy and restful in our Ankara dresses and we have this fancy demeanour that no other African has. We love to wear our traditional attire wherever we go because it portrays our identity. The Nigerian traditional attires are beautiful and colourful, always make us stand out in the crowd and we always look sophisticated in them.

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 1:54am On Mar 18, 2015
2. Nigerians are very loud
My American friends always say Nigerians are very loud. I never believed it until I experienced it. Nigerians can talk loudly anywhere. I used to think shouting in Lagos was a norm because of the daily grind of Lagosians and the unstable phone networks. But, about a year ago, I was at Kigali International Airport in Rwanda, then we got an announcement that our flight has been delayed for about 4 hours. Other passengers were so calm about this, but Nigerians were protesting, shouting and causing chaos at the airport. That was when I realized that God has blessed our larynges with extra strength.

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 1:56am On Mar 18, 2015
3. We are very flamboyant
Nigerians love the flamboyant lifestyle, which has always made us stand out in the crowd. We are confident in behaviour, we dress colourful and we like to be noticed by other people. When abroad, you will find most Nigerians shopping for designer clothes and shoes, we love expensive and luxury things such as the most exclusive cars, we stay in five star hotels, and fly first or business class when we travel because we love to live large. Our flamboyance may irritate some people, but certainly delights other people. They actually want to be like us!

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Pinkiedearie(f): 1:56am On Mar 18, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 1:58am On Mar 18, 2015
4. Nigerians love Football
We are passionate about football. We love the premier league and when we travel abroad, you will find us at our favourite football club’s stadium watching a match. For World Cup or African Football games, you will find us there, screaming and shouting in support of our favourite team – The Super Eagles.

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 2:01am On Mar 18, 2015
5. Our passports are green in colour
By our passport, you shall know us! Well, some Nigerians may not be proud of the colour of their passports. But they can’t help it! Anywhere we go with our green passport with “Federal Republic of Nigeria” written boldly on it, we get recognized. Well, there is something innately amazing about having a Nigerian passport; to me, it’s like my key to the world.

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 2:03am On Mar 18, 2015
6. Pidgin English is our signature
Pidgin English is like our signature, our number one language of communication. I remember passing by some Nigerians at Nakumatt mall in Nairobi. They were blowing the pidgin English and I recognized
them immediately. It is an interesting language to converse in and that is why you see many Nigerians communicate in Pidgin English no matter where they are.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 2:03am On Mar 18, 2015
You don come again. ......
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 2:05am On Mar 18, 2015
GboyegaD:
You don come again. ......
where I go before
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 2:06am On Mar 18, 2015
7. Nigerians love Owanbe Parties
Once a Nigerian, always a Nigerian. The colourful attires (aso-ebi), decorations, food, money spraying and the music make up the Nigerian Owanbe Party. You will find Nigerians organizing these parties even abroad from weddings to birthday ceremony. The settings brings many Nigerians together to unwind and mingle with others.

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 2:08am On Mar 18, 2015
8. We are ‘selfie’ enthusiasts
Nigerians know how to take good ‘selfie’ photos and that is why we are always on Instagram these days. We like ourselves and we love to show the world our personality, buoyancy and fashion sense. When an American or British visit a beautiful destination, they appreciate its beauty by taking photographs of stunning attractions. We, on the other hand, appreciate the beauty of these attractions by taking a photo of ourselves in front of it. Anywhere we find ourselves, either at the airport or at the destination, we’ve got ‘selfie’ photos in different places and styles.

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 2:10am On Mar 18, 2015
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by kingphilip(m): 2:12am On Mar 18, 2015
in addition to the above, most Nigerians are hardworking people who toil day and night to make a living anywhere they find themselves

3 Likes

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by GboyegaD(m): 2:12am On Mar 18, 2015
kingphilip:

where I go before

I meant to write una don come again with the list things.
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by olamydey(f): 5:56am On Mar 18, 2015
Hehehe cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by tdayof(m): 5:58am On Mar 18, 2015
GboyegaD:

I meant to write una don come again with the list things.
that's what I was going to type..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Houseofglam7(f): 6:19pm On Mar 18, 2015
Funny but true cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
I totally agree

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by seankay(m): 8:26pm On Mar 18, 2015
Proudly Naija!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by pansophist(m): 8:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
They are very confident, doesnt matter if they are wrong. I hail una my naija people .
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by sexylogan(m): 6:35am On Mar 19, 2015
Houseofglam7:
Funny but true cheesy cheesy cheesy

Hey you wink
How have you been dear?
I don't see your comments in the romance section anymore.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Houseofglam7(f): 8:21am On Mar 19, 2015
sexylogan:

Hey you wink
How have you been dear?
I don't see your comments in the romance section anymore.

I'm good darl....been hibernating.
I'm back now wink
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by sexylogan(m): 8:59am On Mar 19, 2015
Houseofglam7:

I'm good darl....been hibernating.
I'm back now wink

It's gud to have you back.
NL has been growing scarce of intelligent comments.
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by lalasticlala(m): 9:02am On Mar 19, 2015
kingphilip:

All photos and information culled from http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/8-ways-to-spot-a-nigerian-abroad/

cc: seun, ishilove, mynd44, lalasticala justwise, DisGuy front page please

https://www.nairaland.com/2189903/how-spot-nigerian-abroad
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by adeoladrg(m): 9:49am On Mar 19, 2015
Hehe..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by nlPoster: 2:36am On Feb 04, 2020
Shouting.
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by MiamiePizza(m): 5:41am On Feb 04, 2020
*When you see a black man/woman working 3 shifts, overtime, 4/5 jobs abroad, there's 90% probability he's a Nigerian.
*When you see a black guy doing all sort of menial jobs abroad, he's a Nigerian.
We work on discount, we spend large that's why the SA girls like to f**k us (fact).
We fit wash toilet of #200 for #40
A day job of #300 for #50 and still spend large, that's why those lazy South Africans no like us, dey clam we take their jobs and women wen dey LAZY.

From the Americas to Europe to Asia all over the world we dey their we're not lazy. We no come Europe come look fine buildings or count skyscrapers/view pigeons. Cocoa house dey Ibadan, Fine buildings full Enugu, birds dey my village river if na bird dey hungry me to look.

For conclusion ehn, ANYWHERE YOU SEE A VERY VERY HARD WORKING BLACK MAN/WOMAN ABROAD, HE'S A NIGERIAN.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 04, 2020
kingphilip:
2. Nigerians are very loud
My American friends always say Nigerians are very loud. I never believed it until I experienced it. Nigerians can talk loudly anywhere. I used to think shouting in Lagos was a norm because of the daily grind of Lagosians and the unstable phone networks. But, about a year ago, I was at Kigali International Airport in Rwanda, then we got an announcement that our flight has been delayed for about 4 hours. Other passengers were so calm about this, but Nigerians were protesting, shouting and causing chaos at the airport. That was when I realized that God has blessed our larynges with extra strength.

Not all Nigerians
speaking loud is a character of mostly Yoruba IBO and igbira but not all Nigerians
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by banom(m): 1:29am On Feb 07, 2020
And you didn't add that Nigeriand are criminals and always involves in crime abroad..
Re: 8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad by nlPoster: 1:36am On Feb 07, 2020
8. We are ‘selfie’ enthusiasts
Nigerians know how to take good ‘selfie’ photos and that is why we are always on Instagram these days. We like ourselves and we love to show the world our personality, buoyancy and fashion sense. When an American or British visit a beautiful destination, they appreciate its beauty by taking photographs of stunning attractions. We, on the other hand, appreciate the beauty of these attractions by taking a photo of ourselves in front of it. Anywhere we find ourselves, either at the airport or at the destination, we’ve got ‘selfie’ photos in different places and styles.

Not all Nigerians but a significant number.

(1) (Reply)

Tourist Sites In Ogun State. A Visit / Videos Of People Living In Extreme Poverty In America / Ghastly Motor Accident Along Kubwa-gwarinpa Express Road Now (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.