Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,155 members, 7,811,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria (14763 Views)

Ten Tips To Avoid Being Shot Or Brutalized By Police In Nigeria / Armed Robber Nabbed After Being Shot By Police During Operation In Bayelsa. PICS / Truck Driver Kills Soldier To Avoid Being Stopped Along Onitsha [graphics Pics] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 18, 2015
Hi Guys,

I personally felt things would improve with the Nigerian police but apparently things are getting worse daily.
I have been threatened and intimidated severally myself at gun point and only I can explain how fearful I was that night.

At gun point, I was told to move away from the scene simply because I challenged the logicality of what the police did to the innocent and helpless commuter bus driver.

It was at Ojota and a police man had appeared in the bus magically. The driver was at the designated bus stop without any sign saying otherwise. He was about closing the door when I suppose the police man entered and barking at the driver to go and park at their spot... I was amazed.

We the passengers were trying to ask him what happened to have warranted him wanting to arrest us but he gave no explanation.

We were half way to our destination and all they felt was honourable was to order all of us (both young and old) to get down from the bus and find our way. I had moved closer and said these words: "Sir, can you kindly tell me what happened and what was the offence of this gentle man".

He became irritated and started asking me who I was... Demanded my ID and pointed the gun at me to disappear. I was dazed.

On many occasions have I being sprayed pepper spray in the eyes in a commuter bus (Lord I need my vehicle).

This morning, I read how a young man who was a banker with FCMB was reportedly shot dead by the accounts of eye witness by the police at Gombe state.

I also remember how an on-line friend of mine claimed he was shot at Ikorodu for refusing to give the police N100.

These are the things I feel we should do if we do not want to find ourselves in a deadly situation with our police men. God saves us.

1) Do not argue with the police.

2) Obey all instructions given by the police.

3) Do not over-speed through road blocks.

4) Compromise on the bribe if asked.

5) Send text messages immediately if arrested.

6) Always have an identification card.

7) Lastly, have lawyer friends.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 18, 2015
undecided

The only way to avoid getting shot by Nigerian police is to offer them what will make them smile "MONEY"

Nigerian police is your friend not mine undecided

Vote GMB for a better Nigeria so sanity can be restored in all sectors of the country

Sai buhari

Ftc

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 18, 2015
If the scorching sun has heated up,deep into the brains of a Nigerian police,you there not mess with him,cos escaping a bullet would be inevitable,just like the recent shooting at [size=15pt]Ejigbo[/size] were they shot a passenger because of N100

Op,i think the tips you gave are good to go with.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by 5p1naz(m): 11:56am On Mar 18, 2015
Nigeria is just a failed state. the Nigerian police are criminals thay should be locked up. New York people are screaming police brutalitY.. make dem come see our police.

Touts....

5 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by proxitaly: 11:56am On Mar 18, 2015
better still, Leave Nigeria cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Truth24(m): 11:57am On Mar 18, 2015
Makes sense
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Bodmas06: 11:57am On Mar 18, 2015
ok
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 18, 2015
Police is your friend

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Ph3stus(m): 11:58am On Mar 18, 2015
Noted
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by isarumah(m): 11:58am On Mar 18, 2015
Yes correct
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:58am On Mar 18, 2015
That can only happen if the police are not GEJ trained snipers
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by DuchessLily(f): 11:58am On Mar 18, 2015
Hmmmm...thanx OP
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by naijaobi(m): 11:59am On Mar 18, 2015
CHANGE IS ALL WE NEED
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Hidentity(m): 11:59am On Mar 18, 2015
Insightful. I actually hold the view that the low self esteem of the Nigerian Police is responsible for their unprecedented aggressiveness. Come to think of it, they traded their own respect and pride for shares of things that would not last: bribe, bootlicking and all.

A body, organisation or unit that knows his salt and onion won't take to violence in any instance. The decorum and deftness at their calling won't allow that. You see most of these policemen in dirty uniforms and 'punished shoes' threatening the common men. The Nigerian Police needs rebranding. Standard educational requirements, examination of past records, proper discipline and training are few of the things suggested to ensure they go back to the policing task and stop this city hunting of men.

Policing should not be a profession for people who just need to 'get a job' to make a living. It demands more.

3 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Jibsonified(m): 12:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
More like 7 things u must to avoid police wahala abi... So what success stories do u have applying these.
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by mcevans1(m): 12:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
angry
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by clemz88(m): 12:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
Police is our friend grin
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by peteruuu(m): 12:01pm On Mar 18, 2015
O ga o... Olorun sha wa sha
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Tbase2: 12:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yippee front page things shout out to my phone and Opera mini for making this possible and to mummy for the 100 Naira to buy data on my yeye mtn sim

And yeah about the pollice I blame it on corruption.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by momodub: 12:04pm On Mar 18, 2015
Good advise
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Dcaliphate(m): 12:04pm On Mar 18, 2015
ultimately, be a member of a higher force like the army
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by chikasin4(m): 12:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
My dear the best thing is to leave the country for them. Pack ur goods and find any nearest airport or seaport or even bush. Ka chineke mezie okwu.
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by clemz88(m): 12:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
uselessgoat:
undecided
The only way to avoid getting shot by Nigerian police is to offer them what will make them smile "MONEY"
Nigerian police is your friend but not mine undecided

Vote GMB for a better Nigeria so sanity can be restored in all sectors of the country
Sai buhari

Ftc
Truth24:
Makes sense
Bodmas06:
ok
mezabo:
/
Ph3stus:
Noted
[quote][/quote]see una life. Space bookers association
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by huhmuhyehmi(m): 12:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
hmmm
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 18, 2015
Cliq Like if u know what's up gringringrin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Smartjeezy(m): 12:06pm On Mar 18, 2015
Noted
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 18, 2015
@ op. I must commedn your list, obeying those instruction are easy. I have also had bitter experiences with them too.

I can't forget in a hurry 2013 december 22nd around 2am, I was driving from Abule ado to Festac. I drove past Alakija where I was supposed to turn (I was a bit tipsy) on getting to Agboju area

I met a combined team of Police, Customs and Army. One gun trotting police man would have shot I and my friends (2 of them) if not for the intervention of the team leader who is also a policeman.

My friend on the front seat received the beating of his life that night that he went to hospital the next day, just because he refused to come down from the vehicle.

The team leader asked me to drive home and spoke to me like a sensible person even though the gun trotting one was still fuming & burning with rage.

I wouldn't have been alive to tell this tale if I had reversed quickly immediately I slammed the brakes as I wanted to do before they pounced on us. (I initially thought they were robbers)

I'm also sure I wouldn't be here today if the gun trotting one were to be their leader or was with his like minds.

I think the NPF should be scrapped totally and NSCDC take over their duties even though I have been invited and detained once by NSCDC (even though they scammed me because I was asked to come back the next day with my intl passprt. The following morning I went & submitted, I was asked to sign my release papers, after signing it that same day they took me to the cell in their headquater, I was only released the following day). No money was paid for my release to the NSCDC. They are respectful & diligent unlike the NPF.

Sorry for the long write up. Live today & fight tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by ajoskele(m): 12:07pm On Mar 18, 2015
My "corper" friend was nearly gunned down by a policeman a week before our POP. Thank God the bullet missed him.
Trust corps members, he was given the beating of his life.
Who brought those FRSC trainees to NYSC camp sev?
This incident happened right inside Osun NYSC camp, Ede.
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
Just roger 20 naira
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by WIZGUY69(m): 12:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
My Own is that : Any police that threaten to Kill me, na em Go First die.!
Re: How To Avoid Being Shot Or Get In Trouble With The Police In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 18, 2015
Jibsonified:
More like 7 things u must to avoid police wahala abi... So what success stories do u have applying these.

He's alive init

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bandits Demand New Naira Notes From Family Of Victims Abducted In Zamfara / ABSU Gang Violation Suspect Has Been Identified – Minister / Nigerian Mother Jailed In The Uk For Sending Son To Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.