Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards (3979 Views)

Police Jeep Trapped At Ariaria Market In Aba / Policeman Trapped In Two-vehicle Collision On LASU-Igando Road (Photos) / War Against Money Laundering: Banks, PDP Kick Against Cbn’s Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by adonisNEW(m): 5:39pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nigeria and policies, especially this CBN. Got my UnityBank ATM card retained by a SkyeBank ATM machine around waterlines in PH. Even though somebody had advised me not to go for the card again because they won't give me back I still decided to make a try because it sounded strange to me. When I got to the customer care table of SkyeBank and asked for my ATM card, the lady there said "am sorry we can't give you the card back, we would destroy it that's the new CBN policy". I told her that was harsh na and immediately she said "when we started it at first it was hard for us but now we must do what is required of us.
This policy is really harsh, imagine I travelled abroad and left my wife with my ATM card to make withdrawals and now its been retained, its really not a comfortable policy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by 0nyegame(m): 5:46pm On Mar 18, 2015
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Vision4God: 5:51pm On Mar 18, 2015
So many unreasonable policy in nigeria. God help our leaders 2 c better.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Noloss(f): 6:06pm On Mar 18, 2015
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2015
breaking of card. swallowing of card. dispensing damaged money. i fear nigerian atms.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Ralphlauren(m): 6:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
That's the practice in every sane country.

You have to go to your issuing bank to get another card. It is for your own security and there are other various reasons for this.

For example, your card may have been retained due to suspicious activity on your account and it's only your issuing bank that can investigate this and resolve the problem.

1 Like

Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
That's senseless..the old practice of asking for an ID is better.
The entrapment was caused by their machines.
Not the customer fault.

1 Like

Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by adonisNEW(m): 6:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ralphlauren:
That's the practice in every sane country.

You have to go to your issuing bank to get another card. It is for your own security and there are other various reasons for this.

For example, your card may have been retained due to suspicious activity on your account and it's only your issuing bank that can investigate this and resolve the problem.

Suspicious activity like trying to make withdrawals? We know CBN meant good for the populace but sometimes this policies should be better weighed before implementation.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by tinkinjow: 6:49pm On Mar 18, 2015
Hmmmmm....the way we reason...don't you think it's for ur own good? Some sharp pips can actually program an atm to be trapping card and manipulate it in a way they later have access to your account. You should ask urself what do they gain by destroying it.
Security always come with certain inconveniences.

1 Like

Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Osyxcel(m): 6:50pm On Mar 18, 2015
Daniel203:
That's senseless..the old practice of asking for an ID is better.
The entrapment was caused by their machines.
Not the customer fault.

So you don't know that staffs of the bank can use your card details for illegal/unauthorized transactions

Your card name, card no, expiry date, and CCV should all be kept securely away from third parties.

The policy is for the benefit of the customers. Moreover, the policy is not new, and has been existing for about a year now.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Macmilla(m): 7:09pm On Mar 18, 2015
tinkinjow:
Hmmmmm....the way we reason...don't you think it's for ur own good? Some sharp pips can actually program an atm to be trapping card and manipulate it in a way they later have access to your account. You should ask urself what do they gain by destroying it.
What they gain is that you pay 1k to get another one.
The problem is a simple one. The system that informs the machine to retain the card should be accessible and therefore, the reason for the retention. If the reason is nothing but machine malfunction, then breaking my card is fraud.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Ralphlauren(m): 7:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
adonisNEW:

Suspicious activity like trying to make withdrawals? We know CBN meant good for the populace but sometimes this policies should be better weighed before implementation.

Something must have triggered it.

The ATM may have been fitted with a phishing device. some ATMs are programmed to retain cards in such scenario to prevent the fraudster from making away with your cash.

Like I said, it's the practice in well regulated countries. If your card is retained, you go to your issuing bank to have another card issued. The bank operating the said ATM must DESTROY all retained cards from other issuing banks.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Ralphlauren(m): 7:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
Macmilla:

What they gain is that you pay 1k to get another one.
The problem is a simple one. The system that informs the machine to retain the card should be accessible and therefore, the reason for the retention. If the reason is nothing but machine malfunction, then breaking my card is fraud.

Seriously

Too many dumbos here, walahi undecided
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Nutase: 7:55pm On Mar 18, 2015
Why are you complaining here......did d lady tell u the policy is a NL policy. channel your complaint to cbn website.

1 Like

Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by adonisNEW(m): 9:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nutase:
Why are you complaining here......did d lady tell u the policy is a NL policy. channel your complaint to cbn website.
Going through this thread, I believe you've been enlightened in a way. That's why I brought it here.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by QuiverBox(f): 10:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
adonisNEW:
Nigeria and policies, especially this CBN. Got my UnityBank ATM card retained by a SkyeBank ATM machine around waterlines in PH. Even though somebody had advised me not to go for the card again because they won't give me back I still decided to make a try because it sounded strange to me. When I got to the customer care table of SkyeBank and asked for my ATM card, the lady there said "am sorry we can't give you the card back, we would destroy it that's the new CBN policy". I told her that was harsh na and immediately she said "when we started it at first it was hard for us but now we must do what is required of us.
This policy is really harsh, imagine I travelled abroad and left my wife with my ATM card to make withdrawals and now its been retained, its really not a comfortable policy.

If your wife has your card and its retained it will not be returned to her , even if this CBN policy did not exist
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Macmilla(m): 10:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Seriously

It's a free world bro. And the last time I checked, talking is not pay-as-you-talk, so feel free to let it out b4 it kills you from within.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by wheesin(m): 10:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nutase:

Hmm reasonable post

tinkinjow:

Reasonable post

Ralphlauren:

Seriously

..AND I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER FIND A FOOLISH POST BUT I DID... FOOLISH POST undecided
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by okonkwo44: 10:59pm On Mar 18, 2015
We jus sit dwn n jus talk anyhow,ds policy wud b 4 a security reason,dey re not daft 2 mak such policy considering d fact dat its thorn 2 our skin.its 4 ur own gud.
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by Exjoker(m): 11:43pm On Mar 18, 2015
Just like the cashless policy, this policy one is good also
Re: New CBN Policy On Trapped ATM Cards by pesty100(m): 7:01am On Dec 16, 2016
My atm has been stuck in a machine 5 times now and counting, of those five times non was due to me writing the incorrect pin

(1) (Reply)

Rivers State Governor-elect Sets Up Transition And Inauguration Committees / I.Ubah Thanks Nigerians For Their Support, Describes Dollar Rise As Artificial. / Aregbesola Threatens To Expel Students ‘wearing Choir Robes’ To Schools.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.