Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody (10746 Views)

Bruises Spotted On Corpse Of Lucky Ayomanor Who Died In Police Custody (Graphic) / Lucky Ayomanor Dies In Police Custody (Photos) / 'I Am Capable & Strong To Do What Young People Do' - Gov Oshiomole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 19, 2015
Edo state governor, Adams Oshiomole has ordered a full scale investigation into the death of Chibuike Edeh, a staff of Protea hotel in Benin city, Edo state, who was arrested for stealing N48,000 belonging a guest at the hotel on March 14th.

He later died in police custody. Gov Oshiomole gave the charge while receiving the family members of the young man who staged a protest at the government house yesterday March 18th.

Speaking to the family, Oshiomhole said;"Let me thank you for coming to Government House to lay your complaint in a very peaceful manner in spite of the pains in your heart and the gruesome murder of your son, your brother and our comrade. I read about this yesterday and the impression I was given was that he was handed over to the Police.

Whether or not the young man was a thief, whether or not the money was found on him or he threw it across the wall is not the issue. There is law. There is procedure to be followed to investigate alleged stealing, even alleged murder.

The police can listen to complaint from anyone who has cause to complain or report theft or any crime or suspected crime to the police. The responsibility of the police stops at arresting and investigating a suspect.

They do not have the right to kill, to maim, to brutalize and to murder anybody. That is not acceptable. The responsibility of the police in our constitution is very clear; to protect lives and property and they are law enforcement agencies, they are not to execute people who are suspected of crimes.

They are to arraign suspects in court and ensure that suspects are prosecuted according to our laws. I have received since yesterday various accounts about whether or not this person died in the police custody, whether he died of natural causes or he died as a result of police torture or whether he died in the cause of allegedly trying to escape and he was knocked down by a vehicle.

I will raise these issues with the Commissioner. If somebody runs across the road and a vehicle knocks him down, the vehicle will be apprehended and the driver will be known so it cannot be an unknown vehicle or driver.‎ I do understand that when we talk of police custody, they call it protective custody.

The police are to protect suspects and they are deemed innocent until they are found guilty by a competent court and police cannot constitute itself into a court of law and even if a judge finds a man guilty of murder and sentences him to death, he cannot be executed except the governor approves of the death sentence so the laws are very clear.

However, the issues for us to find out are whether this person died in police custody and if he escaped how he escaped from police custody because he wasn’t reported to be an armed robber.

He was said to be at the very worst, that he stole money from somebody, he was not armed with any offensive weapon and so no one can say he was running and he was shot, so we will find out” Oshiomhole said...

http://lindaikeji..in/2015/03/gov-oshiomole-orders-investigation-into.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by ramdris(m): 8:21am On Mar 19, 2015
Thank you Oshio. Justice must be done to this case.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by StealthyMe(m): 8:23am On Mar 19, 2015
The Nigerian Police undecided
Strategy for capturing a lion;
Catch a cat and torture excessively until it agrees its a lion. embarassed
It should really be investigated.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by sammieguze(m): 8:23am On Mar 19, 2015
No sinner should go unpunished and d excesses of the npf ought to be checked.

God bless Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Acekidc4(m): 8:23am On Mar 19, 2015
Following!!!

Will be Right Back!!!
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Jostico: 8:24am On Mar 19, 2015
na wati good ni we want
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Jostico: 8:26am On Mar 19, 2015
that police no go go free now.haba
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by lonelydora: 9:48am On Mar 19, 2015
StealthyMe:
The Nigerian Police undecided
Strategy for capturing a lion;
Catch a cat and torture excessively until it agrees its a lion. embarassed
It should really be investigated.
This method happened to a friend back in school those days, they tortured him to confess to a crime he did not commit because CP was on their neck to arrest the perpetrators.

Thanks Gov. Osho for this good news. We must vote for CHANGE. Soon TANoids will come and claim it's a political stunt.

9 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by pretydiva(f): 9:48am On Mar 19, 2015
Nice 1 my comrade governor. I pray d truth comes out n d culprits b brought 2 justice

3 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Bonapart(m): 9:50am On Mar 19, 2015
That's my action governor.... the best in South south. The only man who single handedly bury pdp in edo state

12 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by angrybird007: 9:50am On Mar 19, 2015
G
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by ozoigbondu: 9:51am On Mar 19, 2015
The police murderers of this young man shall not go scot free.They have already shifted the blame to the poor man saying he was killed by a car.

To all those trying to cover up this murder God is watching you in 3D and their is no cover up before him

7 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Henrypraise: 9:51am On Mar 19, 2015
intelligent words from governor Osho[quote author post=31770864]
They do not have the right to kill, to maim, to brutalize and to murder anybody. That is not acceptable. The responsibility of the police in our constitution is very clear; to protect lives and property and they are law enforcement agencies, they are not to execute people who are suspected of crimes.
They are to arraign suspects in court and ensure that suspects are prosecuted according to our laws. I have received since yesterday various accounts about whether or not this person died in the police custody, whether he died of natural causes or he died as a result of police torture or whether he died in the cause of allegedly trying to escape and he was knocked down by a vehicle.
I will raise these issues with the Commissioner. If somebody runs across the road and a vehicle knocks him down, the vehicle will be apprehended and the driver will be known so it cannot be an unknown vehicle or driver.‎ I do understand that when we talk of police custody, they call it protective custody.
The police are to protect suspects and they are deemed innocent until they are found guilty by a competent court and police cannot constitute itself into a court of law and even if a judge finds a man guilty of murder and sentences him to death, he cannot be executed except the governor approves of the death sentence so the laws are very clear.
However, the issues for us to find out are whether this person died in police custody and if he escaped how he escaped from police custody because he wasn’t reported to be an armed robber.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Mekybliss(f): 9:51am On Mar 19, 2015
So nice of him.
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by ogbuani55: 9:52am On Mar 19, 2015
embarassed justice must be done. Bt wait o wetin dey do our police force celf .
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 19, 2015
good governor, unlike fashola APC tief

1 Like

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Dreyl(m): 9:52am On Mar 19, 2015
Good move mr oshiomole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Youngzedd(m): 9:52am On Mar 19, 2015
We demand justice.

Ordinary stealing they said it's corruption, how much did Nwobo stole that made Buhari to jail him, the money that is not even enough to buy Peugeot. - Number one citizen.

3 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by pretydiva(f): 9:53am On Mar 19, 2015
angrybird007:
G
G 4 general

2 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by pretydiva(f): 9:53am On Mar 19, 2015

1 Like

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by sophtaf(f): 9:53am On Mar 19, 2015
Waitin to c warris ganna happen
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by hensben(m): 9:54am On Mar 19, 2015
That's comrade osho baba..always have the edo masses at heart...he single handedly destroy that evil party call pdp in Edo state, Buhari will do same this month at federal level by then nigerians will be free from this evil party...pdp is for the elite and thugs, they only come close to the masses during election.

ConcernNigerian.

4 Likes

Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by wasokay: 9:54am On Mar 19, 2015
nigeria sha
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Johnnoo(m): 9:54am On Mar 19, 2015
I smell foul-play undecided
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by jude33084(m): 9:54am On Mar 19, 2015
smiley
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 19, 2015
pretydiva:
undecided
lol, u again
Re: Gov. Oshiomole Orders Investigation Into Death Of Hotel Staff In Police Custody by MKO4ever(m): 9:56am On Mar 19, 2015
Nawa ooo, please what is this country turning into? killing people and getting away with it at all times, Police is supposed to protect us, but they are the one killing people either negligently or planned. It is shameful and very bad

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free El-zakzaky, Nnamdi Kanu, Others – Ohanaeze Youths Tell Osinbajo / Senator Lawal Shuaibu To APC NWC: You Lack Powers To Investigate, Punish Me / What CAN Told Buhari, 36 Governors About Appointing Youths To Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.