Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,474 members, 7,861,372 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:56 AM

Absu Aptitude Test Past Questions And Solutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Absu Aptitude Test Past Questions And Solutions (2509 Views)

Download NITDA Scholarship Test Past Questions And Answers(CINFORES) / Absu Aptitude Test Past Questions And Solutions / Mouau Aptitude Test Past Questions And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Absu Aptitude Test Past Questions And Solutions by AMUTAH: 10:24am On Mar 19, 2015
ATTENTION:

TO GET THE COMPLETE PAST QUESTIONS AND SOLUTIONS FOR ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU FROM 2009-2010,
PLEASE CALL 08137701720, 08106474026

ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU

Post UTME Screening Exercise 2009/2010

TIME ALLOWED: 1 hour

ENGLISH LANGUAGE

Read each passage carefully and answer the questions that follow

PASSAGE I

The approach to the university is being restructured to ease the flow of traffic, give better security and provide an appropriate introduction to a seat of higher learning. The works and services complex is also under construction, and we intend to move into tile completed (major) part of it within the next few weeks.

All these projects are being executed with an eye to aesthetics. for we recognize tile important influence of a beautiful and healthy environment on its inhabitants and feel that a cluster of building on a small space such as we have should be so well designed as to have a beneficial psychological and sociological effect on all members of the community.

I have gone to these lengths to itemize these examples of current development for two main reasons. Firstly, to advise you that the road diversions and other physical inconveniences currently being experienced will be on the increase because of intense development activity. We therefore appeal to you to bear with us in full knowledge and consolation that such inconvenience are temporary and will soon yield final tangible results. Secondly, to demonstrate your capacity for executing approved projects with dispatch, and to assure government that we are up to the task. Indeed. I can assure government that its ability to disburse funds to us will be more than matched by your capacity to collect and expand them on executing various worthy projects in record time.

1. From the passage we can gather that A. there is not much consideration for the health of the inhabitants B. there is deliberate effort to inconvenience the people C. buildings are put up anyhow D. projects are carried out without approval E. the inconveniences suffered by the inhabitants will be for a while

2. Unless it can be shown that the money voted for A. the development activity will not intense B will not be easy to convince the government of our executive ability C. it will not be difficult to ask government for fluids D. our final results will be unreliable E. the road diversions and other inconveniences will continue

3. An eve to aesthetics in this passage means A. regard for space B. beneficial psychological effect C. regard for health D. consideration for beauty E. a cluster of buildings

4. In this passage the author tries to explain why A. it is necessary to establish the works and services complex in the university B. beauty should not be taken into consideration when building on such a small space as we have C. the gateway to the university is being rebuilt D. major part of the project should be completed in the next few weeks E. visitors should be debated from using the gates in the meantime

5. Which of these is NOT among the reasons given by the author for enumerating the examples of the current development’? A. to show that we are capable of executing approval projects B. to convince the government that we are trusted with task C. the inconveniences currently being experienced will go on indefinitely D. we are fully aware of the inconveniences being caused hut we do not want you to complain E. we have the capacity to complete worthy projects within the scheduled time.

PASSAGE II

Is work for prisoners a privilege To save them from tire demoralizing effects and misery of endless unoccupied hours it is something added to a prison sentence to make it harder and more unpleasant something which should have a positive value as part of a system or rehabilitation?
Those magistrates who cluing to sentences of hard labour doubtless looked upon strenuous work as an additional punishment. This point of view is widely accepted as right and proper, but it ignores the fact that unwillingness to work is often one of the immediate causes of criminality. To send prisoners back to the outside world, more than ever convinced that labour is an evil to be avoided, is to confirm them in their old way of life.
It has been said that the purpose of prison work in a programme of rehabilitation is two fold: training for work and training by work. The prisoner, that is to say, needs to be trained by work. The prisoner, that is to say, needs to be trained by habits of industry, but over and above this, lie will gain immeasurably if it is possible to rouse in him the consciousness of sel-mastery and of purpose that the completion of airy worthwhile piece of work can give to tire door. He may find a pride of achievement iii something more satisfying and more socially desirable, than crime. But these things can on when the work itself has a purpose and demands an effort.
6. According to the author, some magistrates sentence prisoners to hard labour because A. some prisoners are unwilling to work B. work is a privilege C. prisoners need to learn a trade D. it is an additional punishment E. it is a means of rehabilitation

7. Which of these is NOT the purpose of work in a programme of rehabilitation A. training the prisoners to have satisfaction in work B. developing in them a pride in a sense of achievement C. developing in them more satisfaction in work than in crime D. helping them to accelerate their reform and discharge E. training them for work and by work

8. The author thinks that strenuous work in prison A. is a privilege for the prisoners B. may do more harm than good C. is part of their punishment D. is a right and proper thing E. should be an additional punishment

9. What the author is trying to put across in this passage is that A. crime does not pay B. prisoners should be made to work hard C. work is more desirable than crime D. life in prison is one of misery E. work in prison without a purpose is bad

10. Demoralizing in this passage means A. deforming B. reforming C. destruction D. destructive E. corruption

PASSAGE III

The Save the Children Fund (SCF) was first started in London on 19th May, 1919 by an English woman named Miss Jebb. It is now a worldwide organization dedicated to helping needy child everywhere. The SCF of Malawi was formed in 1953, under the patronage of His Excellency the Life President Ngawazi Dr. H. Kamuzu Banda.

Our job in Malawi is to give those unfortunate children the rights that they are deprived of though no fault of theirs. These are internationally recognized as the ten rights of children and include protection, care, food and accommodation and relief a spokeman for the fund explained.

One of those who benefited from the help of the fund is Samuel Mpetechula, a graduate of Chancellor. His sponsorship started in 1967. The SCF of Malawi found him sponsors. They were Mr. and Mrs. Sutton of sisal fra who paid his school fees and continued to help him financially throughout his university education.

Mr. Mpetechula said, “the even built a house for me at home and looked after my family while I was a student. They were really helpful to me and the thought that there were these sponsors caring for me from thousands of kilometers away from here was an encouragement for me to work hard at college”.

Another important function of the work of the SCF is in the field of nutrition. With the help of the Australian government. The SCF established two nutrition rehabilitation centers for children, one at

Mpemba and another in Muanje. The object of tile centre, explained Mr. Fetre Chimbe, the executive secretary of the Fund, is to combat malnutrition in children, by giving them the proper food.

11. In Malawi, tile Save the Children Fund was formed A. by an English woman name Miss Jebb in A. 1919 B. in 1919 under the patronage of His Excellency the Life President Ngawazi Dr. H. Kamuzu Bauda in 1953 C. in 1953 under the patronage of His Excellency the life President Ngawazi Dr. H. Kamuzu Banda D. in 1953 by a group of social workers headed by Dr. Mbagunda E. none of the above

12. The Save the Children Fund in Malawi helps needy children by A. finding families which are willing to adopt the children B. finding sponsors for the children’s education and by opening nutrition centers C. giving loans and scholarships to students who cannot afford to continue their education 0. running institutions which give free fund E. clothing and lodging poor children without parents

13. Samuel Mpetechula was able to graduate from Chancellor because A. of the financial assistance given to him by his sponsors B. his uncle paid his education fees C. he was able to win a scholarship to tile university D. the SCF subsidized his educational expenses by Australian government

In question 14 and 15, choose the meaning which best fits the underlined phrases taken from the passage

14. Combat malnutrition means A. struggle against the easing of the wrong type of food B. fight ill health caused by over feeding C. wipe out ignorance D. fight to wipe out ill health caused by lack of food E. fight against hunger

15. Deprived of means A. spared B. prevented from getting C. robbed of D. unable to take E. snitched from

PASSAGE IV

At the time of the troubles in Ireland. a priest said, man is half beast, a diplomat replied, yes, and the beast is the half I like the best. The priest meant that few beasts behave badly. If you look at the fool and cruelty of today’s world, it is hard to disagree with the diplomat or the priest. But human nature can be changed. Anybody, if that is what they most want to do, can change the most difficult person they know. Tire art of changing people has been lost in the modem world. That is wiry tire modem world has lost its way.
There are two ways of looking at human nature. One is to make the best of it as it is and assume that it is tire raw material of life which cannot be altered. That is what most people in the free world do today. In these circumstances, if you expect tire worst, you are seldom disappointed. Faith today has become irrelevant to the everyday needs of so many people in positions of responsibility because they do not expect faith in change men.

Another way of dealing with human nature is to exploit it: All materialists, whether of the right or of the left, do this. All over the world vanity, fear, ambition, lust and greed are used to control the life of men, and if the control breaks the man does not hesitate to use force, or to destroy life, The end, he says, justifies the means and men are only of value in so far as they are a means towards the achievement of his ambition if they cannot he bribed or forced to play their part, then they must be liquidated.

16. The priest meant that A. man is both beast and human B. man could be soles than a beast if he wants to C. he liked beasts more than man D. he liked both man and beat E. really. a man cannot be a beast

17. The modem world has lost its way because A. it no longer believes in God B. ambition has made people greedy C. people are no longer interested in one another D. tire technique of influencing people is no more E. people are just too selfish

18. What most people do in the free world today is to A. leave other people alone B. assume that human nature is bad C. accept human nature as it is since it is immutable D. attempt to change the world E. leave tire world as it is

19. Faith today is by an large irrelevant because A. nobody thinks it can alter human nature B. most people do not believe in God C. being in a position of responsibility nullifies the important of faith D. responsible people need not bother about faith E. the faithful are very few in tire world anyway

20. Materialists can be found A. in capitalist countries B. in communist countries C. in less developed countries D. among people who do not have neighbours E. all over the world

PASSAGE V

Typical Zacharia Devil may care and irreverent as ever. No doubt he was just the same when he was cook to a Greek trader in tire town. In fact I suspect that to him tire Reverend Father is just another soir of trader. Conceited ass, thinking himself superior to the Father. And in what is he superior? Success with women, perhaps? Zacharia knows that they all admire him and is always striving for still more admiration. He dresses sharply and walks in a haughty manner that suits his tallness and then he feeds his pride on the swarms of girls who run after him. It’s maddening to think how little you need to attract them. I remember my mother coining home from market in the town, after selling her vegetables and cocoa. How indignant she was, it’s so shameful, sire cried, our best-looking and most respectable girls go to town and throw themselves at strangers as ugly as sin, speaking the most outlandish tongues. Men I can scarcely look at without shuddering! And why? Just money! Money! Ah, what a word! And my father replied in a buried voice, it’s the times! the times! Shouted mother, can you imagine my child Ann with creatures like those?’ but perhaps the girls who chase Zacharia aren’t drawn by his tallness of his leather shoes. Perhaps they’re only after childish things. a bit of bread or a pot of jam, knowing that he’s a cook. My father often says women are like children in their desires. And after all. I too can boast a little. Plenty of women turn to look at me, especially when I’m dressed all in white! But I’m not vain enough to fuse over a little thing like that. Not like Zacharia who doesn’t know women are simply children.

21. Zacharia A. was the cook of a trader B. worked for a priest C. worked for the speaker’s mother D. was a rich man E. was a handsome man

22. Which of the following was NOT a quality of Zacharia’s A. vanity B. lack of respect for others C. humility D. arrogance E. insubordination

23. The girls were apparently attracted to Zacharia by A. wealth B. the life of the towns C. the appearance D. the fact that the young men spoke strange dialects E. food

24. From the passage, we can conclude that the young girls were A. attractive B. religious C. modem D. easily led E. indifferent

25. The speaker’s mother considered that A. things were not a good as they used to be B. women were foolish C. the world was corrupt D. the love of money was the root of all evil E. it was necessary for attitudes to change

In questions 26 to 34, choose the option nearest in meaning to tile underlined

26. The story has to be taken with a grain of salt. This means that A. you need some salt to listen to the story B. there is no salt in the story C. the story is questionable D. the story is true E. you have too much salt in the story

27. It is usually hard to change the course of action when one crosses the Rubicon. The underlined expression as used in this sentence means to A. pass through a place called Rubicon B. cross a river called Rubicon C. cross a bridge called Rubicon D. pass a special test E. be irrevocably committed

28. The salenian tried to pull the wool over my eyes. This implies that the salesman tried to A. force me buy his goods B. offer inc cotton wool C. make me buy his wool D. dupe me E. cover my eyes with wool

29. Ijeoma counted her chickens before they were hatched. This means that A. regarded her chicken B. hatched the eggs prematurely C. assumed that her expectations has already been realized D. protected her eggs from breaking E. insured the eggs

30. Soto has resigned his job with the Textile Milils. He doesn’t seem to worry about getting another job. His plans are still quite in the air. This means that the plans are A. airmailed B. airtight C. uncertain D. certain E. airborne

31. Ike is head over heels in love with Ngozi. This means that A. Ike is friendly with Ngozi B. Ike is trying to fall in love with Ngozi C. Ngozi feel on Ike’s heel arid both of them feel in love D. The is madly in love with Ngozi E. none of the above

32. The legislator has decided to play second fiddle after he had been walked out of the Assembly for violating basic procedure of the House. This means that the legislator has decided to A. oppose every motion in the house B. suppose every motion in the house C. condemn every motion D. support the leach given by others E. become active in the house

33. Old customs die hard. This implies that old customs A. cause a lot of hardship and death B. must be stopped C. never die out D. cause hardship for younger people E. tend to last for a long time

34. The convict said lie was tire of leading a dog’s Life. To lead a dog’s life means to live A. carelessly B. in disgrace C. in solitude D. in miser E. in poverty

In questions 35 to 40, choose the expression or word which best completes each sentence.

35. After the initial confusion, the manager’s suggestion brought ………. To the depressed in vestors A. a glitter of hope B. a glimmer of hope C. a sparkle of hope D. a raise of hope E. a shower of hope

36. The farmer has brought the insecticide because he was bent on the ………. insects in his farm. A. exterminating B. estimating C. extenuating D. extinguishing E. exemplifying

37. The young lady decided to ………. A. do away with tile many advices given by her relatives B. rejects all the advices given by her relatives C. take to all the advices given by her relatives D. eject all the advices given by her relatives

38. Two ministers found it very difficult to get ........ in the cabinet A. through with each other B. by with one another C’. through with one another D. off from each other E. on with each other

39. The school Board has placed an order for ………. A. all the furniture and required in the new schools B. all the furniture and equipment required in the new school C. all of the furniture and equipments required in the schools D. many of the furniture and equipments required in the new school

40. On his way back, the boy ran into a long procession of men, women and children in …….. A. white beautiful exceedingly flowing gowns B. exceedingly flowing white beautiful gowns C’. exceedingly beautiful white flowing gowns D. white flowing exceedingly beautiful gowns E. flowing exceedingly white beautiful gowns

NOTE:
QUESTIONS 41 TO 100 WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE COMPLETE ABSU APTITUDE TEST PAST QUESTIONS AND SOLUTIONS

SOLUTION TO ABSU 2009/2010 POST UTME SCREENING EXERCISE

1.E 2.B 3.D 4.A 5.C 6.D 7.D 8.D 9.E 10.C 11.C 12.B 13.A 15.B 16.B

17.D 18.C 19.C 20.E 21.A 22.C 23.E 24.A 25.D 26.C 27.E 28.D 29.C 30.C 31.D 32.D 33.E 34.D 35.C 36.A 37.C 38.E 39.B 40.C 41.A 42.D 43.B 44.B 45.C 46.B 47.B 48.B 49.C 50.D 51.B 52C 53.C 54.A 55.D 56.C 57. 58.B 59.B 60.D 61. 62. B 63.A 64.A 65.B 66.C 67.C 68.B 69.D 70.C 71.C 72.C 73.A 74.B 75.D 76.C 77.B 78.D 79.B 80.D 81.A 82C 83. 84.D 85.D 86.D 87.C 88.C 89.D 90.D 91.B 92.B 93.C 94.D 95.B 96.B 97.D 98.C 99. D 100.D

[center] NOTE: TO GET THE COMPLETE PAST QUESTIONS AND SOLUTIONS FOR ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU FROM 2009-2010, PLEASE CALL 08137701720, 08106474026

(1) (Reply)

Degree As Minimum Teaching Qualification. - FG / What You Should Know About UNICAL Before Applying / ASUU Declares Nationwide Strike !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.