Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) (45544 Views)

What Is This Fruit Called In Your Local Language? / Fruit Seller Washing Fruit With Gutter Water (Photo) / What's The English Name Of This Fruit? (2) (3) (4)

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by propzncribz: 1:17am On Mar 20, 2015
abbccc:

It is called Velvet tamarind and can also be found in West African countries such as Ghana where it is known as Yoyi, Sierra Leone, Senegal, and Nigeria where it is known as Awin in Yoruba, Icheku in Igbo and Tsamiyar kurm in Hausa.

Source: wikipedia

Did you read about the Thai recipe, must try it one day
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by NobleG1(m): 1:19am On Mar 20, 2015
mcchaka:
What is the English name of this fruit?

The name is Dialium Guineense.

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by helphelp: 1:19am On Mar 20, 2015
Ask of the girl's name...she resemble the fruit or whatever it may be

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Nobody: 1:20am On Mar 20, 2015
Anniebissy:
it is called vitamin c.

I will have luv naming you, let me call u Odel 4now
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by slimyem: 1:26am On Mar 20, 2015
My people call it "layunmeme".
Who cares about the English name?
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 20, 2015
Suede fruit ni now
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Dolemite(f): 1:40am On Mar 20, 2015
My friend would rather know the name of that BABE!! grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by beelon1020(m): 1:53am On Mar 20, 2015
Correct.
NobleG1:

The name is Dialium Guineense.

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by bezimo(m): 1:59am On Mar 20, 2015
I remember this fruit in the early 90s.we called it cheku!!! Then.
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by umarfantami(m): 2:01am On Mar 20, 2015
tsamiyan biri
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Papse: 2:25am On Mar 20, 2015
Licky Licky, men in d house grin
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by neighbourhud: 2:47am On Mar 20, 2015
Bonapart:
Are the mods drunk..... this made front page just last week and it's here again... maka why..
Veveteride abi vevetamarine
No mind them...even on nairaland, 'rigging' is no big deal. For the sake of Moses and his water dividing rod, there are thousands of good topics but 'mba', they will never pick them.

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by EBUBS(m): 2:50am On Mar 20, 2015
used to see it as vitamin c. only grew up to know it's not.(funny) though I also think it should be rich in vitamin can...
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by praxs(m): 2:55am On Mar 20, 2015
Tsamiyan biri
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Softwarriboy(m): 4:02am On Mar 20, 2015
D English or I shud say d pidgin english name is called SHEGU
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by gnykelly(m): 4:14am On Mar 20, 2015
we've flogged this many times. it is velvet tamarind.
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by tottinova: 4:27am On Mar 20, 2015
it is leek leek na. thats the name "leek leek"
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by oliidell(m): 4:42am On Mar 20, 2015
Bonapart:
Are the mods drunk..... this made front page just last week and it's here again... maka why..
Veveteride abi vevetamarine
gnykelly:
we've flogged this many times. it is velvet tamarind.
boluyongp:
E be like say MOD don overdrink orijin.. This kweshun was asked last week and it made frontpage fahhh and we said its Velvet Tamarind or Suade Fruit.. Wetin
OP: take time o, you no get google come dey disturb us for here..

Baffles me too. This topic has made FP multiple times but twice in a week speaks volumes. I thought nairaland had an unwritten rule about giving a time gap of at least one year before a topic can be repeated. What happened to rule 14. 'Search the forum before creating a new thread'

In recent times, I feel seun has abandoned us.

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Rainmaker69(m): 4:44am On Mar 20, 2015
SagePerv:
Is that even a fruit?
Must you guys consume everything?

Lmaoo cheesy
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Toosure70: 4:45am On Mar 20, 2015
local trebor
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by emmabest2000(m): 4:52am On Mar 20, 2015
Mcaise:
Icheku
cheleku

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by iamord(m): 5:03am On Mar 20, 2015
abbccc:

It is called Velvet tamarind and can also be found in West African countries such as Ghana where it is known as Yoyi, Sierra Leone, Senegal, and Nigeria where it is known as Awin in Yoruba, Icheku in Igbo and Tsamiyar kurm in Hausa.

Source: wikipedia
can't people be mature like this dude. If u know, you answer, if you don't you pass.. Instead of giving porous answers and saying unnecessary things
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by uzhi(m): 5:07am On Mar 20, 2015
I dont know the English name, but in yoruba it is call winwin or omoin.
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by rexzqcom(m): 5:23am On Mar 20, 2015
Why should we care what english call it ?
This is a tropical forests plant.
Whatever we call it, is it name.
Is not found in oyibo temperate climate.
Others should learn it name and uses from us.
We don't need English to name our plants for us.
In edo (benin) we call it "omugeen".
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Joyekpen: 5:27am On Mar 20, 2015
Amuge
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by ohereiyi: 5:35am On Mar 20, 2015
General Igbo: Icheku
Uturu Igbo Dialect: Abaa
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by rane06(f): 5:37am On Mar 20, 2015
My nephews and niece call it blackberry
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by tolexy007(m): 5:56am On Mar 20, 2015
when we were we use to call it "Shaka shiken woro" because we don't no its name. very funny
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by jsksu(m): 6:02am On Mar 20, 2015
U mst be hoples

Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Pennywise(m): 6:08am On Mar 20, 2015
ogorkojo:

Dialum indum is d botanical name

Babe u know book ooo. Are u sure you are Nigerian?
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Lawalemi(m): 6:10am On Mar 20, 2015
Awin in Yoruba. So sweet!
Re: What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) by Nobody: 6:13am On Mar 20, 2015
Pennywise:

Babe u know book ooo. Are u sure you are Nigerian?
Yeah na. Strictly Nigerian, if it's anything to go by.

Show Us Your Christmas Chicken / See The Plastic Rice Sold To Me In Lagos(pictures) / Roasting The Monitor Lizard Caught In Our Rice Farm Today (Photos)