Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,897 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Problem With Flash Drive! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Problem With Flash Drive! (1611 Views)

Help Needed With Flash Player 9 Download / Logon To Windows Using Your Usb Flash Drive [dongle] / Problems With Flash Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Problem With Flash Drive! by betheldgr8(m): 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2009
PLZ GR8 NAIRALANDERS, COME TO MY AID.
I USED MY FLASH DRIVE IN A CYBER CAFE AND ENDED UP IMPORTING 9 VIRUSES AND WORMS.
I HAVE SCANNED THE FLASH DRIVE WITH AVG AND GAVE THE COMMAND OF REMOVING THREATS, BUT I CANT FIND MY FILES ANYMORE, IF I CHECK THE PROPERTIES OF THE FLASH, THE USED SPACE IS ABOUT 895MB BUT I ONLY C A MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENT IN THE FILE.
PLZ HELP ME TO GET MY FILES BACK COS I SPENT NOT LESS THAN 4 MONTHS IN GETTING THEM, PLZ
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by Nobody: 4:39am On Jan 18, 2009
I think the AVG deleted the files. Amd as we all know there is no way to get a lost file from a usb flash.

And do change tthe antivirus avg is wacked have had the same xperience with my flash while i once experimented using it.

Donpuzo aka Dogman
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by betheldgr8(m): 12:09pm On Jan 19, 2009
i have also scanned with avast, and i see the files i dont c in the flash being scanned, if i also check the properties of the flash, the used space is still much(895mb used, 68mb free).
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by netotse(m): 4:32pm On Jan 19, 2009
open winrar and go to your flash in winrar(winrar allows u view all files no matter their attributes)

the only alternative is to use msdos
in command prompt type dir /ah (you have to be in the root drive for your flash)
it should list the files
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by betheldgr8(m): 12:50pm On Jan 20, 2009
i dont know how to go about that command prompt, and i dont mean i just want to see the files, i want to have them back.
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by dani1luv: 4:30pm On Jan 20, 2009
You dont know how to go about Command Prompt shocked
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by betheldgr8(m): 11:33am On Jan 21, 2009
i dont mean i cant open command prompt, what i mean is that i dont know what to type inside to get my files and folders.
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 21, 2009
the virus has changed your flash drives file attributes to 'system files'. system files are hidden by default

option a

download and install filemenu tools - this is a context menu extender - one of its functions is changing attributes of selected files (timestamp, readonly, hidden, system)

go to folder optins and uncheck 'hide protected operating system files(recommended)'.

this will show unhide all your system files
go back to tyhe flash; you should see your files

select your files and right click, pick the file attributes option and uncheck hidden

option b

make sure you have . net framework 2 and 3 installed

downlaod and unzip this

- http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/local--files/repository/AttributesEditor.zip

this may not work without .net framework 3.0 installed

run it. insert tor flash path eg G;\

if u r very savvy, you can do something like this

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\Change File Attributes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\Change File Attributes\command]
@="E:\\Program Files\\Bling!\\QT Applications\\QTTabBar_1.2\\Tools\\AttributesEditor.exe \"%V\""

copy the above, chnege the highlighted to the path where you unzip attribtes editor to - eg c:\\program files\\Attributes editor\\attributeseditor.exe

copy to note pad, save as a .reg (registry entry file) double click, and change file attributes will appaear among the menu items wheneveer you left click on the desktop /in a folder. select it and you're good to go

hope this helps

alternatively, extract the unzip the folder to program files( i am assuming your program folder is drive c) and download copy this into notepad and save as a.reg file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\Change File Attributes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\Change File Attributes\command]
@="c:\\program files\\Attributes editor\\attributeseditor.exe \"%V\""
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by betheldgr8(m): 6:35pm On Jan 21, 2009
thank you all for your contributions and efforts in helping me,i couldnt wait cos i needed those files and i had some of them attached to my mail, so i downloaded them from my mail and formatted the flash.
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by Nobody: 5:30am On Jan 25, 2009
please what am i suppose to do to my flash drive that refused to open, d sytem recognised it bt it wont open.it indicates dat it needs to b formatted bt d formatin is never successful, what am i to do please?
Re: Problem With Flash Drive! by netotse(m): 1:52pm On Jan 25, 2009
try the flash on another computer. . .

(1) (Reply)

Lg Ku990i Configuration Settings / Best Data Plan For All Smartphones/pc In June / I Need A Good UK Used Or Nigerian Used Laptop Price Not Note Than 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.