Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,899 members, 7,810,455 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? (9061 Views)

Fruit Seller Washing Fruit With Gutter Water (Photo) / What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) / What's The English Name Of This Fruit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by frankmoney(m): 7:41am On Mar 20, 2015
who knows the name of this fruit ? ...since I was born It was called fruit .
don't know its real name

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by SuperSuave(m): 8:01am On Mar 20, 2015
I swear I been wan ask this same question all this while but couldn't get a good picture. Oya who knows the name??
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by Nature129(m): 8:04am On Mar 20, 2015
Funnily enough, in Igbo most of us call it "fruit". Lol

1 Like

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by sakafish(m): 8:06am On Mar 20, 2015
I guess it is almond fruit

3 Likes

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by Yustash001(m): 8:13am On Mar 20, 2015
We call it fruit...but the real name is lipium istida...
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by frankmoney(m): 8:16am On Mar 20, 2015
Yustash001:
Lol no wonder its called fruit see the name sef
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by yuncka: 8:18am On Mar 20, 2015
Yustash001:
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by yuncka: 8:19am On Mar 20, 2015
Yustash001:

no wonder U hardly find it in the market, the name too long to enter market. Imagine a hawker carrying it and trying to sell it by calling the name, dat person's tongue will finish.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by deanoffaculty: 10:20am On Mar 20, 2015
Nectar fruit....
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by SuperSuave(m): 12:11pm On Mar 20, 2015
deanoffaculty:
Nectar fruit....

Yustash001:

sakafish:
I guess it is almond fruit

Which one make we believe sef undecided

1 Like

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by frankmoney(m): 12:16pm On Mar 20, 2015
SuperSuave:

Which one make we believe sef undecided
Lol I wonder o
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by chinnyness122(f): 6:52pm On Mar 24, 2015
its almond....av seen d white inner part bottled and sold in supermarkets like cashew but n ground but...its very nutritious

1 Like

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 12:37am On Mar 26, 2015
its called Indian Almond

scientific name is Terminalia catappa.

3 Likes

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by nkem79(f): 1:31pm On Apr 13, 2015
Propagated by seed the fast-growing Tropical Almond reaches 30 to 55-feet talls on average but can grow to 80 feet. Deciduous, it forms a symmetrical, upright tree with horizontal branches that reach 35 feet in width. The branches are arranged in tiers giving the tree a pagoda-like look. The tree’s large leaves are distinctive, 12-inches long and six-inches-wide, glossy green, leathery with a heart-shaped base. They are also woolly underneath and grow in a rosette at the end of branches. Leaf stems have two glands at the upper end. Before dropping from age, or winter or drought they change through shades of red, yellow, and purple. Spring time blossoms are inconspicuous, green and white, arranged in fives with 10 to 12 stamens each all on six-inch-long terminal clusters. They produce the edible fruit that changes through the colors already mentioned for the leaves: green to yellow then red or dark purple. The husk is corky, thin with green flesh inside. The fruit is high in tannic acid which can stain cars, pavement and sidewalks. But the tannic acid is also good for tanning hides. Interestingly the tree does not attract much wildlife. Some tropical ants like it and fruit bats eat the husk. Bees are attracted to the blossom but apparently have a difficult time making honey from them. Humans can barely detect an odor from the flowers. A tree can produce (when shelled) about 11 pounds of kernels per season.

The leaves and bark are astringent. Medicinally the tree has had a myriad of uses in folk medicine including treatment for cancer, sickle cell disorders, dysentery, cough, leprosy, nausea, diarrhea, intestinal parasites, eye problems, rheumatism, colic, liver disease, scabies, upset stomach, thrush and as an antibacterial agent and contraceptive. There is some modern research that suggests it might be useful in treating high blood pressure. Leaf extracts have shown to have some anti-diabetic and antioxidant activities. The leaves and bark are put in fish tanks to increase water acidity and reduce bacterial infections amongst the tank’s inhabitants.
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by frankmoney(m): 10:10pm On Apr 13, 2015
nkem79:
Propagated by seed the fast-growing Tropical Almond reaches 30 to 55-feet talls on average but can grow to 80 feet. Deciduous, it forms a symmetrical, upright tree with horizontal branches that reach 35 feet in width. The branches are arranged in tiers giving the tree a pagoda-like look. The tree’s large leaves are distinctive, 12-inches long and six-inches-wide, glossy green, leathery with a heart-shaped base. They are also woolly underneath and grow in a rosette at the end of branches. Leaf stems have two glands at the upper end. Before dropping from age, or winter or drought they change through shades of red, yellow, and purple. Spring time blossoms are inconspicuous, green and white, arranged in fives with 10 to 12 stamens each all on six-inch-long terminal clusters. They produce the edible fruit that changes through the colors already mentioned for the leaves: green to yellow then red or dark purple. The husk is corky, thin with green flesh inside. The fruit is high in tannic acid which can stain cars, pavement and sidewalks. But the tannic acid is also good for tanning hides. Interestingly the tree does not attract much wildlife. Some tropical ants like it and fruit bats eat the husk. Bees are attracted to the blossom but apparently have a difficult time making honey from them. Humans can barely detect an odor from the flowers. A tree can produce (when shelled) about 11 pounds of kernels per season.

The leaves and bark are astringent. Medicinally the tree has had a myriad of uses in folk medicine including treatment for cancer, sickle cell disorders, dysentery, cough, leprosy, nausea, diarrhea, intestinal parasites, eye problems, rheumatism, colic, liver disease, scabies, upset stomach, thrush and as an antibacterial agent and contraceptive. There is some modern research that suggests it might be useful in treating high blood pressure. Leaf extracts have shown to have some anti-diabetic and antioxidant activities. The leaves and bark are put in fish tanks to increase water acidity and reduce bacterial infections amongst the tank’s inhabitants.
hnn nice
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by bella01(f): 10:45pm On Apr 13, 2015
It is called almond fruit
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by frankmoney(m): 12:13pm On Apr 14, 2015
bella01:
It is called almond fruit
never knew .. thanks tho ... but how you take know
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by pinkhill(f): 2:06pm On Apr 14, 2015
in delta it is called "ebelebo" but in english it is known as almond...

i take my time to break the hard part for the nut
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by frankmoney(m): 3:01pm On Apr 14, 2015
pinkhill:
in delta it is called "ebelebo" but in english it is known as almond...

i take my time to break the hard part for the nut
ebelebo ? what part of Delta plz
Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by ochallo: 7:20pm On Feb 15, 2016

1 Like

Re: Whats The Name Of This Fruit ? by nuelzy: 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2016
Yustash001:
see lie nw grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please Teach Me How To Make Mai-shayi's Indomie / Coconut Rice / Brand New Refrigerator Not Cooling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.