Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,107 members, 7,825,500 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

The Spicy Garlic! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Spicy Garlic! (1598 Views)

Tips On Vigina Yeast Infection And How To Treat It With Garlic / Garlic Health Benefits- Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily / How To Treat A Vaginal Infection With A Clove Of Garlic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Spicy Garlic! by finiky: 2:29pm On Jan 18, 2009
Garlic, there's nothing like the smell of garlic. It's great in soups and sauces, roasted with meats or on it's own, and it's wonderful mixed with butter and slathered on bread and then baked.

The scientific name for garlic is Allium Sativum. It is related to the lily and the onion. Although related to the onion, and having a flavor that very slightly resembles that of an onion, garlic does not bring tears to the eyes when chopped.

When buying fresh garlic, be sure that the head feels very firm when you squeeze it. Over time, garlic will soften and begin to sprout, which turns the garlic bitter. To store fresh garlic, keep it in a dark, cool place, such as the basement. Do not refrigerate or freeze the garlic, as it will begin to loose it's taste.

To peel a clove of garlic, place it on a cutting board, and put the flat of the blade of the knife against it. Press down on the other side of the blade with the heel of your hand, flattening the garlic slightly. The skin will come right off.

The strong flavor and odor of garlic come from sulfur compounds within the cells. The more cells that are broken, the stronger the flavor of the garlic will be. For the mildest flavor, just use a whole or slightly crushed clove of garlic. For a bit stronger flavor, slice or chop the garlic, and for the strongest flavor, mash the garlic into a paste.

Cooking garlic tames the strong flavor, and changes it in different ways, depending on how it's cooked. If using in a sauce, it can be sweated or sauteed. In sweating the garlic, it is first chopped finely, and then added to a cold pan with some oil, it is then gently heated, causing the oil to become infused with the garlic flavor. To sautee garlic, heat the oil in the pan first, and then add the chopped garlic, stirring frequently, and being careful not to let the garlic burn and become bitter.

Roasting the garlic softens the flavor, and makes it soft and perfect for mixing with cream cheese to spread onto toast, or just spread on the toast itself.

To roast the garlic, take a whole head of garlic, and remove the papery outer skin. Place the garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, and drizzle with some olive oil. Loosely wrap the garlic in the foil, and place it into a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove the garlic and let it cool. When cool enough to handle, separate the cloves of garlic, and squeeze each one. The flesh should pop right out. The roasted garlic is great mixed with cheese or potatoes, or on it's own.

Don't be afraid to use garlic in your cooking. Garlic is flavorful, and healthful, and of course, it will keep those pesky vampires away.For more on health and diet tips visit www.eat-clean-dietnow..com
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by ifyalways(f): 3:14pm On Jan 18, 2009
i so dislike that garlic till after having my babies.My Hubby used it to prepare a drink for me,it was so goood,it got my tummy flat and hot kiss
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by mohawkchic(f): 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2009
~Love Garlic!Chicken ~Beef ~Fish ~Rice ~Bread Sure makes my food extra Scrumptious!

~Oh B.T.W finiky You got some very good Tips ! smiley - Its good to know a lil about the things we eat!
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by SeanT21(f): 8:37pm On Jan 18, 2009
I love putting little bit of Garlic when I am cooking!!

Not too much!!
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by VENUSS(f): 9:50pm On Jan 18, 2009
i love garlic, very healthy,controls blood sugar.
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by TOYOSI20(f): 4:15am On Jan 19, 2009
Garlic is fine for it nutritional value and the spice and kick it provides in cuisines,. . . .

but its the smell i cant stand!!yuck!! embarassed
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by Treetop20(m): 5:00am On Jan 19, 2009
i love garlic
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by mohawkchic(f): 5:01am On Jan 19, 2009
~I love the smell not onlyy on food but on my breath too!! cheesy

~Use to have an Ex who hated it so much me think his nose was extra sensitive to the smell!! -He could smell a mile off i've had shawama w/ lots of garlic mayo grin He'll insist i brush over and over again,gargle mouth wash . . . just to get rid of the smell! angry No cuddles,snogs for me  sad
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by iice(f): 4:18pm On Jan 19, 2009
I like it.

Ify, i drink boiled garlic when i have sore throat or a cold.
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by Epi: 7:49pm On Jan 19, 2009
I love cooking with garlic

My mom eats raw garlic. Yikes!!! shocked shocked lipsrsealed undecided

Hey ever try garlic tea? And if you are wondering, it doesn't taste bad. It's good for headache

Add 1 peg of garlic Tea cup with hot water
Add milk and sugar to taste
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by UNLEASHED(m): 3:09pm On Jan 21, 2009
me love garlic
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by iice(f): 3:40pm On Jan 21, 2009
Hmmmm Epi, you mean garlic and tea?
I would try that, but with no milk and sugar tongue

I drink garlic and ginger though. . .for my colds/sore throat / flu
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by naijamd(m): 8:58pm On Jan 21, 2009
i so much haaaate garlic that i will vomit at just the sight of it,guys i beg make we find anoda thing talk about
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by Epi: 10:51pm On Jan 22, 2009
iice:

Hmmmm Epi, you mean garlic and tea?
I would try that, but with no milk and sugar tongue

I drink garlic and ginger though. . .for my colds/sore throat / flu

I mean you make tea using garlic.  Taste soo good 
That's nice if you can drink tea without sugar. I have to have my sugar or honey

One love
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by gozzilla(m): 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2009
I love the health benefit of cloves, garlic and onion. But i can not imagine the smell. Will i stop getting a good kissing because i want to stay healthy? Big question.
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by Leilah(f): 10:43pm On Feb 04, 2009
I usually put the whole bulb in anything in cooking
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by Hauwa1: 2:03pm On Feb 05, 2009
i read somewhere that garlic smell comes out of our body pores, skin, vagina etc
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by zenatta: 3:10pm On Aug 24, 2010
*Hauwa*:

i read somewhere that garlic smell comes out of our body pores, skin, womanliness etc

even in my urine. I cook everything with garlic
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by jovi: 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2010
@ifyalways, pls can u get the recipe for the drink?, i need to get my tommy down too pleeease!! kiss
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by swiftycool(m): 9:24am On Jul 28, 2011
erm . . . if the focus of this is about how tasty or enjoyable garlic is rather than its health or direct actual nutritional benefits, may i suggest it be moved to FOOD section. I was actually looking thru dis post 4 a strong reason to eat a very smelly spice and the only reason i got was simply becos its smelly and op likes it.
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by nigboy(m): 10:13pm On Oct 15, 2011
This is a very interesting article on garlic

Read more about Culinary Uses of garlic at http://healthbenefitsofgarlic..com
Re: The Spicy Garlic! by Fancier(f): 3:00pm On Dec 13, 2011
ifyalways:

i so dislike that garlic till after having my babies.My Hubby used it to prepare a drink for me,it was so goood,it got my tummy flat and hot kiss

Please can we get your recipe on this help other mothers in the house, thank you in advance

(1) (Reply)

Preventing The Spread Of Ebola - Nema / STRANGE: Two Ebola Victims ‘rise From The Dead’ In Liberia / You Sit On A Toilet Bowl Totally Wrong! Here’s How To Do It The Right Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.