Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,559 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. (1552 Views)

New York Times Special On Nollywood / Gay Content In Hollywood Movies And Its Effect On Nigeria / Picture Of A Wardrobe Malfunction On Nollywood Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by RasPwn(m): 5:26am On Jan 19, 2009
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i21cd3de1f9b8ea08f5999468e7afb1a7
PARK CITY -- Focus Features is developing a biopic about Fela Kuti, the Nigerian musician and political maverick.

Focus has acquired the book "Fela: The Life and Times of an African Musical Icon" by Michael Veal as source material.

Kuti, whose full name is Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, garnered fame in the U.S. for his fusion style of music known as Afrobeat. He often was imprisoned on what human-rights groups called trumped-up charges when he went back to his native country and spoke out against its government and policies. He died in 1997.

Focus has a host of internationally oriented projects, including a biopic of Serge Gainsbourg and the Spanish-language "Sin Nombre," which premieres at the Sundance Film Festival.

If great Nigerians from the 90's are to be ranked, Fela should be in the top 5, yet Nollywood producers would rather keep making generic Aki and Paw Paw movies while casting RMD has a 20 year old, rather than make a Fela biopic. It's only in Nigeria we don't appreciate our own genuine talents.

Anyway, I saw a Fela musical on Broadway in September and the show sold out on most days. Celebrities like Jay-z and Beyonce showed up too. If the musical comes next year, best believe I'm watching it again, it was that good. I think the success of the musical is influencing a movie on Fela's life.

I can't wait till it comes out.
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by Nobody: 7:12am On Jan 19, 2009
Ras Pwn:

while casting RMD has a 20 year old
Lmao! Don't forget the likes of Saint Obi and Jim Iyke! cheesy
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by spikedcylinder: 7:17am On Jan 19, 2009
Ras Pwn:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i21cd3de1f9b8ea08f5999468e7afb1a7
If great Nigerians from the 90's are to be ranked, Fela should be in the top 5, yet Nollywood producers would rather keep making generic Aki and Paw Paw movies while casting RMD has a 20 year old, rather than make a Fela biopic. It's only in Nigeria we don't appreciate our own genuine talents.

Anyway, I saw a Fela musical on Broadway in September and the show sold out on most days. Celebrities like Jay-z and Beyonce showed up too. If the musical comes next year, best believe I'm watching it again, it was that good. I think the success of the musical is influencing a movie on Fela's life.

I can't wait till it comes out.

LOL!!! grin grin
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by Mustay(m): 8:06am On Jan 19, 2009
Exactly my thoughts when I heard the news: "Shame On Nollywood!"

We have untapped stories in this country good enough to win international awards which could even still be run on low budget platforms.

Rather they never get tired of trite stories and actors. Stories are exhausted there, they are coming here. Remember Blood Diamond?

Very soon, Akwa Ibom Child Abuse will become a Hollywood movie! tongue
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by Raymond88(m): 8:54am On Jan 19, 2009
It's pathetic that white people tell our stories for us while our Nollywood is busy making cheesy romance movies.
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by JazzFreak(m): 10:39am On Jan 19, 2009
Raymond88:

It's pathetic that white people tell our stories for us while our Nollywood is busy making cheesy romance movies.

They are busy producing the part 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 of stupid concept films.
Vague stroy lines, scripts & scenes are useless. angry
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by lucabrasi(m): 4:16pm On Jan 20, 2009
@post
its a blessing nollywood didnt make a biopic about fela as it ll have come out as bad as all their other productions, imagine if hollywood saw a clip of a nollywood production,they ll run as far away as possible from the fela name and copyright
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by bgees(m): 6:12pm On Jan 20, 2009
We should be happy Nollywood did'nt think of it earlier.
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by Hardballer(m): 9:47am On Jan 27, 2009
bgees:

We should be happy Nollywood did'nt think of it earlier.

werd they just Bleep everything up
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by Horus(m): 12:49am On Apr 26, 2009
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by Wellas14(m): 5:50am On Apr 28, 2009
Rome was not built in a day. Nollywood will rise up to the occasion the same way the music video industry have.
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 28, 2009
Lol, funny thread. grin grin grin grin
Re: Shame On Nollywood! Fela Is About To Get His Movie In Hollywood. by dolly9: 4:56pm On May 02, 2010
Who cares? He can take it to whereever he likes. These are the people who wont contribute anyting to the industry and yet complain abt
every single effort by the practitioners. At least 4 me I buy and watch them and know 4 sure that they're improving.Shame on all haters because nollywood will
be there forever and ever.

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Rights To Show American And Nigerian Movies On A Movie Channel / Who Can Remember This Classic Nigerian Movie. / Video: Former B2k Member Raz B Drops intimacy Tape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.