Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,684 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript (954 Views)

Al-Mustapha Floats Green Party Of Nigeria Ahead Of 2019 Elections / OBAMA'S Message To EL-RUFAI / Full Text Transcript Of Leaked Tape About The Ekiti Guber Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by noblestan: 7:37pm On Mar 23, 2015
Ahead of the 2015 Nigeria general elections, the United States President Barack Obama has sent a special message to the Nigerian people highlighting the opportunity that the upcoming elections present for all Nigerians.

He specifically urged Nigerians and their leaders to shun violence in its totality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4wo50jiy2Y

The full text transcript of the message can be seen below.

BEGIN TEXT

Hello. Today, I want to speak directly to you—the people of Nigeria.

Nigeria is a great nation and you can be proud of the progress you’ve made. Together, you won your independence, emerged from military rule, and strengthened democratic institutions. You’ve strived to overcome division and to turn Nigeria’s diversity into a source of strength. You’ve worked hard to improve the lives of your families and to build the largest economy in Africa.

Now you have a historic opportunity to help write the next chapter of Nigeria’s progress—by voting in the upcoming elections. For elections to be credible, they must be free, fair and peaceful. All Nigerians must be able to cast their votes without intimidation or fear.

So I call on all leaders and candidates to make it clear to their supporters that violence has no place in democratic elections—and that they will not incite, support or engage in any kind of violence—before, during, or after the votes are counted. I call on all Nigerians to peacefully express your views and to reject the voices of those who call for violence. And when elections are free and fair, it is the responsibility of all citizens to help keep the peace, no matter who wins.

Successful elections and democratic progress will help Nigeria meet the urgent challenges you face today. Boko Haram—a brutal terrorist group that kills innocent men, women and children—must be stopped. Hundreds of kidnapped children deserve to be returned to their families. Nigerians who have been forced to flee deserve to return to their homes. Boko Haram wants to destroy Nigeria and all that you have worked to build. By casting your ballot, you can help secure your nation’s progress.

I’m told that there is a saying in your country: “to keep Nigeria one is a task that must be done.” Today, I urge all Nigerians—from all religions, all ethnic groups, and all regions—to come together and keep Nigeria one. And in this task of advancing the security, prosperity, and human rights of all Nigerians, you will continue to have a friend and partner in the United States of America.

END TEXT

Source: http://360reporters.com/2015/03/nigeria-presidential-election-2015-obama-sends-special-message/
Re: Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by Maccoy1(m): 7:47pm On Mar 23, 2015
Violence will not see the light of day in nigeria amen...but wait oh this guY is saying we should shun violence are they not hypocrites, they've been praying for nigeria to splits since 18BC....they're waiting for the slightest opportunity to exploit our oil reserves like they did in other countries. Now they're after Venezula
Re: Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by omartins(m): 7:53pm On Mar 23, 2015
So I call on all leaders and candidates to make it clear to their supporters that violence has no place in democratic elections—and that they will not incite, support or engage in any kind of violence—before, during, or after the votes are counted. I call on all Nigerians to peacefully express your views and to reject the voices of those who call for violence.

Nigerians knows who do call for violence after loosing election.
Re: Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by MEILYN(m): 7:53pm On Mar 23, 2015
Maccoy1:
Violence will not see the light of day in nigeria amen...but wait oh this guY is saying we should shun violence are they not hypocrites, they've been praying for nigeria to splits since 18BC....they're waiting for the slightest opportunity to exploit our oil reserves like they did in other countries. Now they're after Venezula
Learn from the message and leave the messenger in peace. The President spoke well and I believe if sane people like you and I adhere to his words, Nigeria will have a free and fair election.
Re: Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by MEILYN(m): 7:55pm On Mar 23, 2015
omartins:
So I call on all leaders and candidates to make it clear to their supporters that violence has no place in democratic elections—and that they will not incite, support or engage in any kind of violence—before, during, or after the votes are counted. I call on all Nigerians to peacefully express your views and to reject the voices of those who call for violence.

Nigeria knows nobody. I would advise you face the topic and leave the two candidates that are likely to win in peace.
Re: Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by wise0ne: 8:07pm On Mar 23, 2015
omartins:

of Course, it is Bookohari and co, the apcheaters.
watch how they will avoid this threads like Ebola
Re: Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by Maccoy1(m): 8:28pm On Mar 23, 2015
MEILYN:
Learn from the message and leave the messenger in peace. The President spoke well and I believe if sane people like you and I adhere to his words, Nigeria will have a free and fair election.
tank God you said "sane people like you nd i"....did you read my first nd second line...just because a wolf is wearing a sheep clothing doesn't mean it's now a sheep...what you mean is that america did not send such letters to those countries where they've cause havoc nd left it desolate...
Re: Obama's Message To Nigeria Ahead Of 2015 Elections - Full Text Transcript by bondingman: 8:32pm On Mar 23, 2015
Buhari's foot soldiers don't understand 'no violence' grin

(1) (Reply)

Election Tension, But... / While Nigerians Await Election Results,see How Buhari Prepares For His Fate / Beakingnews: BBC Reporting PDP HQ Is Dead - Only Security Present, APC Buzzing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.