Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,793 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? (1405 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Shook Aisha Buhari Actually ( Photo) / Buhari Never Promised APC To Make Naira Equal To Dollar – APC / I’ll Make Naira Equal In Value To Dollar, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 7:28am On Mar 24, 2015
Like seriously? I read on vanguard and on nairaland that Gen. Buhari while on campaign in Imo state assured Nigerians that once he is elected and sworn into office he will ensure that one Nigerian naira will exchange for one US dollar.
Please i want those exceptionally knowledgeable in monetary economics and international trade to tell us how feasible this will be and the overall effect on our economy.
Thanks.
My personal opinion: This can only be achieved through a branch of knowledge and practice known as "Voodoo Economics and Accounting" .
This will destroy our economy in no time as almost all the achievements recorded by this administration towards the estabishment of an industrial base will be eroded

1 Like

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by dajoaneke(m): 7:35am On Mar 24, 2015
Front row booked.
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by ascaris(m): 7:35am On Mar 24, 2015
What do you expect from Buhari? How do having 150 cows as a former Head of State translate to understanding economics? You should direct your question to those who want to drag us backward.

2 Likes

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 24, 2015
I think he was just playing to the gallery. That is not feasible joor. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 7:46am On Mar 24, 2015
dajoaneke:
Front row booked.
please Oga say something that will positively make ppl to make a positive choice on 28th of March which is a few days away.
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by Raiders: 7:47am On Mar 24, 2015
chibecanglobal:
Like seriously? I read on vanguard and on nairaland that Gen. Buhari while on campaign in Imo state assured Nigerians that once he is elected and sworn into office he will ensure that one Nigerian naira will exchange for one US dollar.
Please i want those exceptionally knowledgeable in monetary economics and international trade to tell us how feasible this will be and the overall effect on our economy.
Thanks.
My personal opinion: This can only be achieved through a branch of knowledge and practice known as "Voodoo Economics and Accounting" .
This will destroy our economy in no time as almost all the achievements recorded by this administration towards the estabishment of an industrial base will be eroded
what economy achievements are you talking about? The naira was 130 against the dollars in 2007 when OBJ left office. Its now 210 against the dollar. Is that an achievement to you? Our foreign reserve has been reduced by half since GEJ become president and our external debt has double since OBJ left. Is that an economic achievements to you? The unemployment rate has increased with millions of youths underemployed or unemployed. Is that an economic achievement to you?
Bro, The economic situation is getting worse and not improving. Anyways, its possible to make the dollar equal to the naira with the right economic policies like reducing corruption, reducing of importation and diversifying our economy by relying less on oil.

1 Like

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 7:48am On Mar 24, 2015
I remember he claimed to possess the know-how to stabilize global oil price.
May be same magic wand will be deployed to "stabilize" the naira.
Who knows?
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 7:48am On Mar 24, 2015
myhoodlink:
I think he was just playing to the gallery. That is not feasible joor. God bless Nigeria.
Perhaps he has some magic wands or something to ensure that
Who knows?
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 8:06am On Mar 24, 2015
Raiders:
what economy achievements are you talking about? The naira was 130 against the dollars in 2007 when OBJ left office. Its now 210 against the dollar. Is that an achievement to you? Our foreign reserve has been reduced by half since GEJ become president and our external debt has double since OBJ left. Is that an economic achievements to you? The unemployment rate has increased with millions of youths underemployed or unemployed. Is that an economic achievement to you?
Bro, The economic situation is getting worse and not improving. Anyways, its possible to make the dollar equal to the naira with the right economic policies like reducing corruption, reducing of importation and diversifying our economy by relying less on oil.
Could you support your claims with facts sir.
I know matter-of-factly that the overall outlook of our economy has witnessed steady growth since the commencement of admin of GEJ.
The industrial base is beginning to gain a foothold andd the economy is more diversified now than ever before since oil became our the mainstay of our economy. for the first time in a very long time the prices of our foodstuff have not witnessed high inflation even though the valuecurrency of naira sharply dropped against the dollar..
Note that the sharp decline in naira value in relation to the dollar is because in the global foreign exchange market the dollar has been rallying against every other currencies mainly due to drop in oil price and the most adversely affected countries are oil exporting nations such as Saudi,Russia and of course Nigeria..i personally see the situation as a blessing in disguise because the current exchange rate will make the prices of our agricultural products and other exports attractive and competitive.
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by egift(m): 8:06am On Mar 24, 2015
Buhari did not say it. Just the Sharia and Abacha not corrupt Propaganda , a TAN journalist reported falsehood, it got published and spread. Below is Buhari's exact quote.

“It is sad that the value of the naira has dropped to more than N230 to one dollar; this does not speak well for the nation’s economy,’’

Even when there was not a single quote to support the the lie, Vangaurd went ahead to publish it. Very pathetic.

Buhari all the way. Corruption can fight all it like.

2 Likes

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by achu442(m): 8:10am On Mar 24, 2015
Lolzzz....u see..this GMB of a guy doesn't know what's happening in this world...
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by mrmetoo1: 8:10am On Mar 24, 2015
He didn't say this. This just proves Nairaland is filled with bunch of illiterates that can't read for themselves. Nowhere did he day that, he just condemned the loss of value of the Naira. These same jokers will come back and ask for certificate meanwhile they can't read and understand simple sentences. I dare anyone top point out where he said this. The only way GEJ supporters can discredit Buhari is through stupid lies.

2 Likes

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by medamillion(m): 8:18am On Mar 24, 2015
They said he was the one who said "He would make Nigeria ungovernable for Jonathan" (Big Lie)

They also accused him of threatening bloodshed, if he lose in 2015 election whereas he was misquoted by journalists of propaganda.

They alleged he was going to islamize Nigeria eventhoug he refused to do so as a miiitary head of state who had absolute power.

Now the journalists of propaganda has put another another words in his mouth, YOU WILL FAIL.

Show us where he was quoted to have said so.

1 Like

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by Meiji(m): 8:19am On Mar 24, 2015
Buhari wasn't quoted as making that statement. Shame on Vanguard.

1 Like

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by Raiders: 8:26am On Mar 24, 2015
chibecanglobal:
Could you support your claims with facts sir.
I know matter-of-factly that the overall outlook of our economy has witnessed steady growth since the commencement of admin of GEJ.
The industrial base is beginning to gain a foothold andd the economy is more diversified now than ever before since oil became our the mainstay of our economy. for the first time in a very long time the prices of our foodstuff have not witnessed high inflation even though the valuecurrency of naira sharply dropped against the dollar..
Note that the sharp decline in naira value in relation to the dollar is because in the global foreign exchange market the dollar has been rallying against every other currencies mainly due to drop in oil price and the most adversely affected countries are oil exporting nations such as Saudi,Russia and of course Nigeria..i personally see the situation as a blessing in disguise because the current exchange rate will make the prices of our agricultural products and other exports attractive and competitive.
how do you want me to support my claims when you can clearly see that unemployment and underemployment is increasing in Nigeria. Our economy is only growing on paper but in reality things are getting worse with inflation on the increase.
In 2007, the price of oil per barrel was 40 dollars and when OBJ became president in 1999 the price of oil was about 10 dollars per barrel. Currently the price of oil is about 40 dollars and once peak to 100 dollars during GEJ administration. This government got more revenue from oil sales than previous government in Nigeria history. Anyway, Countries like Saudi arabia did devalued their currency ( you can check it up on Google) The value of the Saudi currency is about 5 Riyadh to the dollar. Also the main reason Russian currency lost its value is because of the sanctions from EU and US not because of fall in oil price.
What I am just trying to say is that this government has not performed well in the area of the economy. Anyways, PDP has been in power for 16 years but has failed to diversify our economy so we don't depend only on oil sales. Oil still account for about 70-80% of our revenue just like in 1999 when pdp took power

1 Like

Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 8:47am On Mar 24, 2015
Raiders:
how do you want me to support my claims when you can clearly see that unemployment and underemployment is increasing in Nigeria. Our economy is only growing on paper but in reality things are getting worse with inflation on the increase.
In 2007, the price of oil per barrel was 40 dollars and when OBJ became president in 1999 the price of oil was about 10 dollars per barrel. Currently the price of oil is about 40 dollars and once peak to 100 dollars during GEJ administration. This government got more revenue from oil sales than previous government in Nigeria history. Anyway, Countries like Saudi arabia did devalued their currency ( you can check it up on Google) The value of the Saudi currency is about 5 Riyadh to the dollar. Also the main reason Russian currency lost its value is because of the sanctions from EU and US not because of fall in oil price.
What I am just trying to say is that this government has not performed well in the area of the economy. Anyways, PDP has been in power for 16 years but has failed to diversify our economy so we don't depend only on oil sales. Oil still account for about 70-80% of our revenue just like in 1999 when pdp took power
You are dead wrong on your assertions about Saudi and Russia and i want to believe you know this.
When did they devalue their currency and what was the diffference when oil prices first stated to drop and now..About Russia; everybody in global economics knows that the drop in oil price is the greatest cause of rubble s near collapse.
Compare this info below with what we have been discussing.
"For those ALWAYS harping about the
rise of the Dollar against the Naira,
please take out time to educate
yourself. The rise of the Dollar is a
global phenomenon. Over the past
few months, the Dollar has risen
against virtually every currency in
the world. Ever wondered why the
Naira has not falling against other
currencies such as the Euro?
In September 2014, 1 Euro = 211
Naira.
Today, 1 Euro = 217 Naira.
On the other hand:
In October 2014, 1 US Dollar = 105
Japanese Yen.
Today, 1 US Dollar = 120 Japanese
Yen.
In September 2014, 1 Euro = 1.3 US
Dollar.
Today, 1 Euro = 1.08 US Dollar.
There must be a lot of corrupt/
clueless governments out there."
Got the above quote from a fellow nairalander and it is in tandem with what i already know.
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 8:49am On Mar 24, 2015
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by dajoaneke(m): 11:18am On Mar 24, 2015
chibecanglobal:
please Oga say something that will positively make ppl to make a positive choice on 28th of March which is a few days away.
Bros I just want my youwin money so I can make a change in the world
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 1:56pm On Mar 24, 2015
dajoaneke:
Register
Re: Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? by chibecanglobal(m): 1:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
dajoaneke:
Register..

(1) (Reply)

Buhari To Jonathan: Tell Your Security Agencies To Respect Our Accord / Buhari’s Victory Might Force Us To Return ‘to The Creeks’ – Asari- Dokubo / Thousands of TAC Nigeria Volunteers Saving Lives In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.