Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) (95070 Views)

Mysterious Child Who Is Believed To Be A Reincarnated Queen Who Died In 1980 / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People / *****old Pictures**** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 18, 2018
Asuokaa:
A couple in Asaba, South Eastern Nigeria, 1900
We-the-south-south crew will not like this.

Cc lzaa velocity25 sarrki deomelo madridguy onyeoga gmbuharii

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Fidelismaria: 7:26pm On Dec 18, 2018
grin grin

So this post is just making front page since 3yrs ago

shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by vioment: 7:51pm On Dec 18, 2018
Igbos were really hunted during slavery period. Some of those unknown pictures are igbo.

Remember back in the days, igbos totally refused islam and arabs, so they paid dearly by being slaves and attacked from all sides; it is also the reason half of yoruba people are muslims.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by omowumeee(f): 7:59pm On Dec 18, 2018
Asuokaa:
Diasporic Heroes #4
Adechina Remigio Herrera (Obara Meji)
Adechina (“Crown of Fire”) is credited as being one of the most important founding fathers of Ifa in Cuba. A Yoruba born in Africa and initiated as a babalawo there, he was enslaved and taken to Cuba as a young man in the 1830s. Legend has it that he swallowed his sacred ikin ifa used in divination in order to take them with him across the ocean.
Aniikinniku
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by leadword(m): 7:59pm On Dec 18, 2018
old Life,I thank God I wasn't born during this period, enjoy this life
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by HarlyRo(m): 8:07pm On Dec 18, 2018
Awesome pictures....God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by will2lead(m): 8:14pm On Dec 18, 2018
Amazing history

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by planetx: 8:16pm On Dec 18, 2018
All the people in those pictures or at least the vast majority are dead and gone.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Neddyogu(m): 8:17pm On Dec 18, 2018
Enemyofpeace:
Apart from goat which other animal can fly?
Donkey!
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 18, 2018
Yorubas have always been beautiful. The end.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by darkhorizon: 8:22pm On Dec 18, 2018
Fatherofdragons:

See them, school boys in Lagos. shame no dey catch you yoruber man.

This was not even Lagos, this was somewhere in the Mid West region.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by mrgreen4real(m): 8:31pm On Dec 18, 2018
Asuokaa:
A market in Kano, 1960s

From this picture, Hausa women were not really used to hijab and covering their bodies (Ninja) when the ancestral lineage is traced.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by MrMacinterchi1: 8:32pm On Dec 18, 2018
So this thread took 3years to make front page... no thanks to the moderators at all. Kudos to the Op big time.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by mummyson26(m): 8:35pm On Dec 18, 2018
Asuokaa:
School boys lounging in a classroom. Lagos 1940s
U sure sey no be basket mouth be dis

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Trexnemesis(m): 8:36pm On Dec 18, 2018
Asuokaa:
A group of I[g]bo warriors in ancient battle dress

Ibo Warfare, M. D. W. Jeffreys, 1956

No be today the head shape dey ugly and flaatt. E don tey grin
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by uglodoh(f): 8:38pm On Dec 18, 2018
Thanks Op for sharing. It was a beautiful piece.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by revontuli(f): 9:02pm On Dec 18, 2018
Great info about the diaspora heroes.
Great collection of photos especially the 19th and early 20th century.
Calabar people dressed so well back then. Are they known for fashion today too?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by edicied: 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2018
Great thread. The religion people are willing to die for these day was forced down on us, its quite painful that most people don't realize this. We need to go back to our root stay woke!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by edicied: 9:09pm On Dec 18, 2018
MrMacinterchi1:
So this thread took 3years to make front page... no thanks to the moderators at all. Kudos to the Op big time.
If it's Tonto dike or one useless thread like the without even a single post on the thread it'll make fp. Seun hmm

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by sholey4love: 9:14pm On Dec 18, 2018
Nice pic from op
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Stanweezy(m): 9:15pm On Dec 18, 2018
Since 2015 and this post is hitting front page and my son that pressed the topic mistakenly never knew the post senior him by a year

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Sanchez01: 9:18pm On Dec 18, 2018
vioment:
Igbos were really hunted during slavery period. Some of those unknown pictures are igbo.

Remember back in the days, igbos totally refused islam and arabs, so they paid dearly by being slaves and attacked from all sides; it is also the reason half of yoruba people are muslims.
This is false. The Fulanis only waged war on the Hausas and overran them in a short while. The Fulanis took over Kwara and planted their feet there but that was how far they could go. They were soundly beaten by the Yorubas in the old Oyo Empire in 1840. The Fulanis, Arabs and Islam never waged war on Igbos. As a matter of fact, only two acts of war are recorded for the Igbos which is the Civil War and the Aba Women Riot. Other than these two, none.

The spread of Islam in the South West is attributed to Shehu Alimi, a Fulani man who settled in the Old Oyo to propagate his religion. And it was widely accepted owing to the liberal nature of the Yoruba people.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by kechywillz(m): 9:30pm On Dec 18, 2018
Back then make sense pass now
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by playboy19(m): 9:30pm On Dec 18, 2018
Sanchez01:

This is false. The Fulanis only waged war on the Hausas and overran them in a short while. The Fulanis took over Kwara and planted their feet there but that was how far they could go. They were soundly beaten by the Yorubas in the old Oyo Empire in 1840. The Fulanis, Arabs and Islam never waged war on Igbos. As a matter of fact, only two acts of war are recorded for the Igbos which is the Civil War and the Aba Women Riot. Other than these two, none.

The spread of Islam in the South West is attributed to Shehu Alimi, a Fulani man who settled in the Old Oyo to propagate his religion. And it was widely accepted owing to the liberal nature of the Yoruba people.

Thank you for this. I was shocked when I heard they longer teaches history in Nigerian schools. Now all these kids will write whatever fable they feel like and sell it to their mates as the truth. Pathetic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by GenOrumov: 9:31pm On Dec 18, 2018
I watched a 1935 filmed british movie and in there, there was electricity already. There were many tarred/interlocking paved streets.

While pictures in Nigeria around the same period and beyond showed people still unclad, no electric power lines connecting homes, mud houses etc. Even the 10 lane popular Ikorodu road had not even existed in 1947.

My point is present day Nigeria can be likened to the Britain of around 1935. Nigeria/Africa and the West should not be compared as they started developing long before we started. They even contributed to our underdevelopment as they stole from us, forcefully took our resources and took us as slaves to build their countries.

What we see happening in Nigeria is what i liken to a child (remember we gained independence just in 1960 while Europe and America were already adults at that time while we are babies newly born) just growing up and you are asking it to run or behave like an adult.

You may say but Malaysia and Indonesia were also born around the same time as Africa. Yes!!!! But do not forget that children from the same parents grow differently not to talk of children from different families. Africa had to contend with religion, tribalism etc.

I would say that there is something wrong with the black man (Africa) which i cant explain. I don't know if its God that cursed him to be slaves for the whites or to play second fiddle to the whites or God made the whites to conquer the blacks. I do not know or be able to tell.

What i know is that given how long America/Europe had developed and still developing, Africa too will grow at its on pace to where its counterparts are. Its just a matter of time. Its just that we are fortunate (or if you say unfortunate) to be in this era where Africa is just developing. The developed America/Europe enjoyed today was not created by the current generation but by the sacrifices (tears, blood, hard work etc) of their forefathers which is no different from what we are presently doing. The America of today may be what our grand children and the generations after them will enjoy here in Africa based on the sacrifices of we the current inhabitants of Africa. That's why its important for us to contribute positively to nation building.

Or is there anyone here working for only himself and not for the people they call family (which may include neighbours, friends, siblings and children)?

I may be wrong in my submission. Its just how i see it to all be.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by pacespot(m): 9:36pm On Dec 18, 2018
it is very funny that this country was once enslaved by others, but today they enslave their own people.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Stanbeto: 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2018
Is well
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by sangresan(m): 10:08pm On Dec 18, 2018
vioment:

Mumu like you don't know anything...

That's why half of Yoruba people are Muslims?...Dumbo

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Dedetwo(m): 10:42pm On Dec 18, 2018
Asuokaa:
Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams (July 14 1855– March 15 1915) was the first indigenous Nigerian lawyer, called to the English bar. He also played a prominent political part during Nigeria’s colonial days.

He was a Sierra Leonean who became a returnee.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by mechouk1: 10:47pm On Dec 18, 2018
Asuokaa:
A couple in Asaba, South Eastern Nigeria, 1900

Point of correction; South-South, Nigeria. Not South East

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by vioment: 10:56pm On Dec 18, 2018
sangresan:

Mumu like you don't know anything...

That's why half of Yoruba people are Muslims?...Dumbo

Abeg carry your wahala dey go, here no be trouble stop.

I agree sha i generalize without facts but e near sha.
Re: Nigeria Old pictures(1800-1980) by Galaxyowerri(m): 11:00pm On Dec 18, 2018
GenOrumov:
I watched a 1935 filmed british movie and in there, there was electricity already. There were many tarred/interlocking paved streets.

While pictures in Nigeria around the same period and beyond showed people still unclad, no electric power lines connecting homes, mud houses etc. Even the 10 lane popular Ikorodu road had not even existed in 1947.

My point is present day Nigeria can be likened to the Britain of around 1935. Nigeria/Africa and the West should not be compared as they started developing long before we started. They even contributed to our underdevelopment as they stole from us, forcefully took our resources and took us as slaves to build their countries.

What we see happening in Nigeria is what i liken to a child (remember we gained independence just in 1960 while Europe and America were already adults at that time while we are babies newly born) just growing up and you are asking it to run or behave like an adult.

You may say but Malaysia and Indonesia were also born around the same time as Africa. Yes!!!! But do not forget that children from the same parents grow differently not to talk of children from different families. Africa had to contend with religion, tribalism etc.

I would say that there is something wrong with the black man (Africa) which i cant explain. I don't know if its God that cursed him to be slaves for the whites or to play second fiddle to the whites or God made the whites to conquer the blacks. I do not know or be able to tell.

What i know is that given how long America/Europe had developed and still developing, Africa too will grow at its on pace to where its counterparts are. Its just a matter of time. Its just that we are fortunate (or if you say unfortunate) to be in this era where Africa is just developing. The developed America/Europe enjoyed today was not created by the current generation but by the sacrifices (tears, blood, hard work etc) of their forefathers which is no different from what we are presently doing. The America of today may be what our grand children and the generations after them will enjoy here in Africa based on the sacrifices of we the current inhabitants of Africa. That's why its important for us to contribute positively to nation building.

Or is there anyone here working for only himself and not for the people they call family (which may include neighbours, friends, siblings and children)?

I may be wrong in my submission. Its just how i see it to all be.
Yes, you may not be absolutely wrong but you are largely wrong. You are trying to give logical reasons why Nigeria is still a sh!thole donkey years after, while most others have left us behind. The point you failed to grasp is that Nigeria has remained stagnant in many areas while others kept developing and I will give you instances.
1. That Kano primary school picture shown there, several decades ago is better than 70% of public primary schools today in both Kano and across Nigeria!!
2. China, India, S.Korea and the Asian Tigers were largely at the same level with us back then but today, S.Korea has become a first world country and the other countries have all developed and almost closed the gap completely between them and the Europeans that had a headstart.

3. It is not about who started first rather it is about who maintained a steady growth and development over the years. That is why despite the fact that Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Ethiopia and Italy who were once technologically advanced are no where today.

4. If these pictures were taken with the advanced camera we have today, complete with HD colors and high pixels, you will be shocked to discover that there is very little difference between then and now except that population has ballooned. Which means that 50 years from now may not look much different from what currently obtains in Nigeria but believe me, other countries would have become light years ahead of us!!

5. Do you even know that Lagos of 1970 is almost the same with the Lagos of 2018, almost 50 years later!!!

6. These pictures has overwhelmed me, and it shows how much we have sunk against time. Do you even know that there groundnut pyramids in the North, Cocoa, Palm products etc of which we were topping global production in the past??

7. Did you even know that trains, postal service, ferries etc were functional back in the 1960's??
Did you even know that there were far lesser number of poor people in Nigeria in terms of percentage in the 1960's and 70's than today??
Did you even know that graduate unemployment was non existent in the 1970's?? Now some do argue that population was smaller then but that is not an excuse because as our population is growing, so should our economy and if China and India with over a billion people apiece are not having massive unemployment then why should we with less than 200 million people??
At the rate we are going, a time will come when graduates will be doing menial jobs just to earn peanuts!!

8. Maybe you are right about the black man being cursed because I can't see any explanation why we like suffering and going in circles when we know what to do to change our situation!!

9. Let every state or region manage its own resources and grow at their pace which will engender patriotism and healthy rivalry for development or break up this country to more manageable units rather this archaic system we are running that keeps everyone perpetually down.

10. The truth is that we are doomed if we fail to act fast because all these tribalism we are currently facing will get worse because they are actually caused by mass frustration and hysteria, and we will end up killing ourselves in the future if things continue to deteriorate like this in Nigeria!!

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo: Meet The Mami Water People From Osun Oshogbo / Do Somalis,ethiopians And Eritreans Consider Themselves As Whites? / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.