Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,904 members, 7,838,224 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

The Midnight Sun - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Midnight Sun (4413 Views)

My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? / The Midnight Bells.. Short Story / The Midnight Visitor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 1:14am On Apr 07, 2015
I drove up to the Mirage Hotel and got there by 8pm. Well, I wasn’t sure where the party was, so I picked up my phone and called Nancy.

“Hello?”

“Hi Nancy, it’s Dan. I’m out here at the car park.”

“Hang on. I’m coming down.”

“Alright.”

The air outside was quite chilly. It had rained earlier on, a heavy downpour, and I put my hands into my trouser pockets to make an attempt at keeping myself warm while waiting for her. Then, I saw her approaching and I just stood there admiring her. Damn! She looked drop dead gorgeous. There must be some secret tutoring session where girls are taught how to dress up for occasions in order to get the attention of a guy. I couldn’t even speak, and it took me a while to say “Hey”

“I’m really glad you’re here” She said with a smile that left me totally dumb.

Everything I’d learnt about talking to girls just vanished into thin air at that moment, and I stood there looking like an i.diot. She let out a giggle, and held my arm. Together, we made our way to the hostess who was glad to see me and she directed us to our seats. My first date with Anita was held here, and I tried not to think about it, so as not to ruin this happy moment. We sat in a corner which wasn’t too close to the speakers, and that’s just the way I wanted it to be.

There was a bottle of wine on the table, and I opened it and poured it into two glasses which were on the table for the both of us. At that point, a toast was about to be made for the celebrant by her boyfriend and we all rose with our glasses. “To Judith” He began, “May Her life continue to be as beautiful as she is, and may it work itself out in a way that allows me to keep being there in her story. Hip! Hip! Hip!”

Together, we rose our glasses in the air and all shouted “Hurray!”

We both drank the wine in our glasses and got talking. Once again, my mind raced back to Anita. Was I so defeated by the rejection that I so quickly dismissed her? How would she possibly feel if she discovered I was out tonight with Nancy, whom she probably didn’t know. I’m not sure this can be counted as a date, although it felt like one and to Anita, it probably is a date.

“So, how was the rest of your day?” asked Nancy, interrupting my thoughts.

“It was okay. Nothing too exciting,” I said with a smile, “until now.” I do love making girls blush.

She let out a smile, and we sat staring at each other for a minute, almost daring each other to be the first to look away. Finally, an announcement was made, ruining that perfect moment and urging all guests to serve themselves from the buffet. We did, and while we shifted around in our chairs in preparation to eat, another bottle of wine was placed on our table. We continued our conversation as we took turns eating and talking, stopping occasionally here and there for an extra bite or two, and disobeying a basic rule we were taught as kids: Don’t talk while eating.

Finally, we were done and we just sat there watching those on the dance floor. The whole night, they'd been playing some top Nigerian hits.

One hand on your waist. One hand on your chest. Sekem, sekem.

“Let’s go dance” She said, getting up from her seat and trying to pull me out of mine. Man, I hate dancing. I looked over at her, and watched her moving her body to the beats of the song. After a second or two, I finally started moving. It began with my legs and suddenly, my arms joined in the movement and piece by piece, I was letting go of my body parts. Song after song we danced. It was something I’d never done before and something she was clearly an expert at. After a while, I got tired and whispered it into her ears. She began to laugh as we walked back towards our seat.

“What’s funny?” I asked

“You were amazing out there. I never knew you were a good dancer too”

“Well, you certainly have me trying new things” I said with a smile.

“Hopefully there will be many new things for us” she said holding my hands. Her voice circled me like a coven of witches, casting a spell on me that would last as long as she wished.

“I hope so” I said, with a smile, once more.

The time was getting late, and so we decided to get going. Nancy went over to say goodbye to the hostess while I walked down to the car. I decided to wait for her, so we could walk down to the car together. It was a beautiful night indeed. While we walked to my car, I stopped to take a look at her and she caught my wandering eyes.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

“Trying to take in as much of you as I can”

She walked up to me, and tossed her arms around my neck, looking at me right in the eyes. “So, have you taken in as much of me as you can? What do you think?”

“Well, I think you can’t be real”

She brought her body close to mine and I could feel her chest against mine, “So, am I real enough now?”

It was evident something was about to happen, but part of me couldn’t do it, while the other part of me just wanted it so bad. I’d never cheated on anyone before, and I wasn’t sure if I was ready to do that. “Nancy,” I said, regretting speaking almost immediately, “there are few things I would enjoy more than kissing you here right now.”

“What are you waiting for then? Do it”

1 Like

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nmeri17: 11:23pm On Apr 07, 2015
following smiley
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 11, 2015
There had been no greater kiss in my life than the one I just experienced right there at the car park, and I didn’t mind if anyone had seen us. Her lips were soft and smooth, ripe with the delicious and sweet taste of wine. It echoed around in my skin, burrowing its way deeper into my marrow and shaking me from the inside. It lasted for a while, as though we were in a movie.

She was the first to retreat slowly, while I kept my eyes shut for a few moments after she had opened hers. As I opened my eyes, I made a mental note to keep my lips shut as well.

“Can we be going?” she asked softly.

“Sure”

On the way home, we didn’t say much. I imagined that she was playing back the evening in her mind, fast-forwarding through the parts that could be edited out and rewinding over and over the highlights. As I took frequent glances to stare at her, all I could think about was getting another kiss from her. I got to her gate, and she broke the silence.

“I must admit, I really did have a great time tonight. You are really sweet.”

“Yeah, I had a great time too.” Don’t blame me, I was running short of words to say.

We both smiled and she leaned towards me, and again kissed me with as much passion as the first.

“Good night, Dan,” She said opening the door and stepping out of the car.

“Good night,” I replied, watching her walk into her compound, and I waited till she shut the gate before driving off.

I was already missing her, and kept thinking about her and the kisses and for whatever reason, Anita popped into my head. I tried to remember our first kiss. Was it as powerful as this? Did I feel this way back then? Would Nancy eventually be like Anita who began to feel comfortable with the way things were and didn’t want to move forward? Would this passion eventually go away? Could this be the gradual end of my relationship with Anita?

By the time I got home, I was already so depressed by the theories and questions that ran through my mind and quickly forgot about the wonderful night I’d just had. What a miserable way to end the night!

Without taking my clothes off, I laid on my bed, trying to see things in another perspective. Maybe Nancy wasn’t like other people. With her, this passion might never fade and who knows? We could be among those who claim they’ve been married for many years and each day rekindles their love for each other.

I got up from my bed, brushed my teeth, and finally went back to bed.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Missmossy(f): 7:11pm On Apr 11, 2015
Vic you started a story you didn't tell me right? Beautiful piece, kudos.

2 Likes

Re: The Midnight Sun by toykathy(f): 8:30pm On Apr 11, 2015
hi Vic, something caught my attention in ur story. How can a man using 2003 honda afford half a million ring without blinking an eye? Dats nt real dear. My opinion though.
Re: The Midnight Sun by ehis05(m): 9:17pm On Apr 11, 2015
jossi994:
Nice updates sir.. Shey y0u n0 go vex if ask f0r anita c0ntrol? Since Nancy d0n dey you f0r mind grin

Lol..u still want make anita disgrace u 4 public??
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 11, 2015
ehis05:

Lol..u still want make anita disgrace u 4 public??
if i no flog am bottle for head ehn..

1 Like

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 11, 2015
Nice work vic.. I'm totally enjoying this
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 12:14am On Apr 12, 2015
Closing for the day on Monday, I turned on my phone’s data connection and there were two bbm messages. One from Nancy, and the second from Anita. Oddly enough, they both asked the same thing, “Are you free tonight?”

I decided to reply Nancy’s first with a “Yeah. Want us to hang out?” and within a minute she replied back in the affirmative, asking me to come over for dinner at her place, to which I agreed. I had a few minutes to kill, so I decided to hang around the hospital for a while before heading over to Nancy’s place.

I also decided to reply Anita, and I did with a “No, I’m not.”

Annie: What are you doing?

Dr. Dan: Something just came up at work. I might have to do the night shift as well.

Annie: What came up?

Dr. Dan: Don’t bother.

Annie: Alright. I just think you’ve been avoiding me.

Dr. Dan: Why would I? Why would you think so?

Annie: You don’t call, not even a text. We don’t hang out anymore.

Dr. Dan: Work, babe. Gotta go. Bye.

Ignoring other messages from her, I packed up my stuffs and headed over to Nancy’s place. She opened the door, happy to see me, but her face wasn’t as quite full of life as normal. She gave me a hug, and out of concern I asked, “Are you ok?”

“Yeah. I’m fine. I just had a stressful day” She said with a smile, offering me a seat.

For the rest of the night we cooked together, ate, laughed, discussed about a lot of things including my dance moves on Saturday. She got me to learn a few more dance moves, and I thought to myself, this is how fun a relationship should be. We just had fun together. We could just hang out together and have plenty to talk about, because there was so much to learn about each other and we simply wanted to learn it all.

The time was running late, so I made the decision to leave, but she begged me to stay and spend the night with her. I explained that I had to be in the hospital early tomorrow and I didn’t come to her place prepared to spend the night. I really wanted to stay though, but I knew I just couldn’t. The look in a girl’s eyes when she wants you to follow her into her room for the first time is one of the few things that make me believe in God. It took every ounce of willpower and self-control to get myself to leave.

Together, we walked to where I’d parked my car and she kissed me on the cheek and with a hint of disappointment in her voice, she said “Good night Dan.”

“Good night” I said, unlocking the door, and turning around to give her a kiss in return.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 11:13am On Apr 12, 2015
Ride on Vic cheesy
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 14, 2015
Kai victor.. You no try o,girl get mind give you IV and you come turn am down?
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 15, 2015
jossi994:
Kai victor.. You no try o,girl get mind give you IV and you come turn am down?
Lol. It's not the right time. tongue
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 16, 2015
Missmossy:
Vic you started a story you didn't tell me right? Beautiful piece, kudos.
Don't mind me. I didn't even remember to call anyone. embarassed

Thank you.

FrancisTony:
Ride on Vic cheesy
Thank you sir.
toykathy:
hi Vic, something caught my attention in ur story. How can a man using 2003 honda afford half a million ring without blinking an eye? Dats nt real dear. My opinion though.
I'd already taken that into thought. Thank you. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 12:17am On Apr 16, 2015
Over the next couple of days, my relationship with Nancy kept getting better and better. We just seemed to be perfect for each other. Most times, I’d think about Anita and how she might be feeling. Of course, she rejected my proposal, but was this the way the right way to go? Was her rejection really enough to bring another relationship into my world and let ours die stillborn? Why wasn’t she calling or texting me anymore? Had she also found someone else?

I decided that tonight I was gonna drop by at Anita’s after she got home from work to finally talk to her about things and see what we could up with. I had put it off long enough and now at least, although I felt quite bad and still angry with her, I didn’t feel quite terrible about her rejection. I realized that I could, and maybe already had, move on.

It had been a pretty stressful day, and the day had definitely taken a toll on my body, so I decided to take a shower. I took my clothes off and stepped into the shower. The cleansing power that the shower provided me was much stronger that any pastor or priest could provide. I just stood there in the shower while a barrage of watery fists pummeled my entire body, beating all the bad out of me, and letting it all go down the drain. I got out of the shower and dried myself off with a towel. I rummaged through my closet and slid into a pair of blue jeans and a red shirt. A quick look into the mirror, and I knew I was ready.

On the way to Anita’s place, I tried thinking about the recent events that had just happened in my life. For the first time, it occurred to me that maybe it was possible that I was quite glad that she rejected me.

I’m not prepared for this, I thought, as I walked up to her door and knocked on it.

“Hi” She said as she opened the door, with a facial expression of surprise.

“Can I come in?”

“Sure.”

I got in and made my way to a couch in her living room.

“What are you doing here? I thought you decided to ignore me for life.”

“I’m sorry about that. I’ve just been having a really hard time with all of this, you know?”

I’m pretty sure she knew about it. She actually looked really tired, and it made me realize the impact I probably had on her life. We just sat there, being quiet, and I finally broke the silence and said, “I just needed some time to be on my own, think over and analyze everything. You know I was really devastated when you said no.”

“I didn’t say no, Dan.”

Yeah, right, I thought to myself. What was the difference between her reply and saying no? Absolutely no difference.

“Well, I know that wasn’t the best thing to say” She continued, “but you just have to understand. I wasn’t expecting it, Dan.”

“You could have just said Yes.”

“Look, Getting married isn’t really on my plans for now. I have a lot to achieve before getting into marriage. I hope you get my point?”

“Sure. I totally do,” I replied sarcastically, and picking up my phone to play a game of angry birds. I wasn’t sure I was ready to listen to her anymore, so I brought out a earpiece from my pocket as well.

“What’s wrong with you, Dan? Why do you always block this out?”

“Why do you force me to always block things out?” I retorted in an angry tone, although trying so hard to curb the anger. “Do you even realize how hard it was to have the guts to propose to you, in front of all those people? Do you even realize how much it cost me to purchase that ring? I almost emptied out my entire account just because of you, and now you’re giving me this crap?”

“I didn’t ask for a ring.”

“Sure, you didn’t. If I’d proposed to you without the ring, I’m sure you’d have asked where the ring was.”

“Fine. It was a lovely ring.”

“But not for you, abi?”

“Would you stop screaming at me, Dan?”

“I’m not screaming.”

“Look, you bought a lovely ring, you made a beautiful proposal, you are a very sweet guy, but I’m just not ready for this now. Can we just keep things how they were for now until I’m ready to move things forward?”

After a dramatic pause, I said, “I’m sorry Anne. I don’t think I can do that.”

“What do you want then?” She said with a hint of extreme sadness in her voice, and tears in her eyes.

“I don’t know, Anne.” I said, realizing that my previous statement had obviously hurt her and that wasn’t what I wanted. “Maybe we both need some space for a bit to figure out where this is going.”

“Are you breaking up with me?”

No. I just think we need to take a break from each other, for a while.”

Within a few seconds after I’d said that, her eyes were forced to spill their reservoir of tears down her face. I’d never seen her cry before, and this made me feel really bad. I got up and made my way to her, giving her a hug. “I’m really sorry, Anne.”

I felt I’d accomplished my mission here, not making her cry though, but discussing things with her. Nothing could be changed. My mind was made up, hearts broken, feelings hurt, and when I couldn’t take it anymore, I told her I had to leave. We let go of each other, and I began to make my way down to the door.

“So, if I had said yes, where would we be now?” She asked, interrupting my movement.

“Planning our wedding, babe. That’s where we’d be.” I said, as I opened the door and walked out.

1 Like

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 6:23am On Apr 16, 2015
Victoriousvic:

Lol. It's not the right time. tongue
grin for ya mind o
Re: The Midnight Sun by Missmossy(f): 2:56pm On Apr 21, 2015
Awww really pity Anne i just hope he's making the right choice anyway. Beautiful piece Victoriousvic keep it coming.

Nancy's own enh i reserve my comment grin kudos.
Re: The Midnight Sun by rapmike(m): 3:58pm On Apr 21, 2015
Anne, pele oh!

By the way, does switching Anita for Anne hold water? I don't really think so.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 22, 2015
rapmike:
Anne, pele oh!

By the way, does switching Anita for Anne hold water? I don't really think so.
Anne is her nickname.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 10, 2015
That night, as I walked out of Anita’s place to my car which was parked by the side of the road, I felt a little unsecure like there was danger lurking around me. Of course, it was late into the night, a few minutes to midnight, but I’d never felt so spooked before by the silence of the night, and felt in my gut that something was wrong. I noticed a black Nissan Xterra SUV parked a few metres away from my car, and thought of going back to spend the night at Anita’s, but not after what had just happened tonight. I quickly got into my car and pulled out into the road. Halfway home, I looked into my rear-view mirror and saw an Xterra trailing behind and it looked exactly as the one I’d seen at Anita’s.

I gently applied the brakes of my car and pulled over to the side of the road, waiting for the SUV to drive past. I watched with confusion as the driver of the SUV gently pulled over in front of my car, and a muscular and scary looking man stepped out of the car with what looked like a club in his hands. I just sat there, stunned. He started moving towards my car and quickly too, and without thinking, my mind screamed, “Move!”

As fast as I could, I made a quick reverse and accelerated forwards down the road with a speed I’d only seen in movies. I saw Him run into His car and within seconds, I could see Him catching up with me. This just had to be a nightmare, and I wanted it to end. Who was He? An assassin? Who on earth would want me dead? Anita? A colleague? So many thoughts raced through my mind, as we both raced down the road. A few minutes later, and He stopped chasing me and turned around. I definitely couldn’t head home now, and so I contemplated spending the night at Nancy’s. I picked up my phone and rang her, hoping she hadn’t fallen asleep. After two tries she didn’t pick up, and so I had no choice than to go back home.

To prevent whoever that was from knowing my house, I thought it’d be better leaving my car in another street and taking a cab home. I stepped out of my car and there were no cabs plying the street, neither were there cars, except for a few whose owners were obviously returning from a club. I walked as fast as I could down the street, and suddenly, my phone rang. It was Nancy. I stopped to answer her call, and suddenly felt the sharp sting of a blow to my head. It was painful, though not enough to make me scream or lose consciousness, but enough to make me let go of my phone, as it fell to the floor.

I turned around to see a manly figure, whom I recognised as the driver of the Nissan Xterra. Before I could even think to react, He leapt forward at me with a fist moving faster than His body and struck me across the cheek. The pain was unbelievable.

“Look, I don’t know who You are or what you want. Just take my wallet, phone and keys and leave me alone.” I whimpered.

He didn’t say a word, but responded with a blow to my stomach and my face, and I felt the blows just weren’t gonna end till I was dead. He finally let go of me and I fell to the ground. Grabbing me by the collar of my shirt and staring right into my face, He said, “I don’t want any of what belongs to you. Just stay away from Nancy. I don’t want you near her anymore. If I see you near her again, you might end up in a mortuary. Am I understood?”

“Yes. Just let me go. Please”

He kicked me one more time with enough force to make me cry out again in pain.

“If you love your life, You’d listen to me. She belongs to me.” He said, walking away.

I wanted to run after Him and attack from behind, or throw my phone so hard at him. If David could kill Goliath with a stone, I could definitely cause some physical damage to this monster with my phone, but I feared too much for my life. How could He tell me to stay away from Nancy? Was that even possible? How did He even trace my location?

Then it struck me. Nancy! How come she didn’t tell me about this guy? Who the hell was Was she waiting till He had killed me before letting me know in a tribute I’d never read?

I sat up and sat there for a moment before attempting to get up. I debated calling Nancy to tell her what happened, but decided that no bad news should be given so late at night, but then I thought about the possibility of Him deciding to head back to her place to beat her up also. I couldn’t bear the thought of that, and picked up my phone to call Her. The screen of my phone was broken was due to the fall, and thankfully she answered at the first ring.

“Hello”

“Can I come over to your place? We need to talk.”

“What’s up?”

“When I come over, You’ll see what’s up.”

“Okay.”

I could sense she was worried from the tone of her voice, but I ended the call, and finally got myself to my feet like an old man and hobbled to my car, driving slowly to her place.

2 Likes

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 14, 2015
Victoriousvic you forgot a thread u startd here cry and I was alredy enjoying the flow
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jan 01, 2016
I knocked at Nancy’s door, and at the second knock, she opened the door. “Oh my God! Dan, what happened?” She screamed in utter shock when she saw the figure at her door, which looked like me. “Please, come in. Oh my God”

Before I could answer or step into the house, she’d already left to get me a glass of water and some pain killers. I stepped into her living room, and ensured I’d locked the door behind me to avoid Lucifer himself coming in. As quickly as she left, she returned, and as she poured me a glass of water, I sighed a pretty big sigh and finally spoke up, “Nancy, can we talk?”

“Sure,” she said, “But have these first to soothe the pains. Was it an accident?”

“That’s why we need to talk,” I said. She looked up at me, and our eyes interlocked with each other. “I ran into your ex tonight.”

“What do you mean? How would you know who he is?”

“Well, uhm… He beat me up pretty bad and asked me to stay away from you.”

“Oh my God,” She said, using her hands to cover her mouth in shock. “Oh my God, I’m so sorry.”

“I’ll be fine, but why didn’t you ever mention it to me that your ex was, I don’t know, a monster? He would have killed me tonight.”

“I’m really sorry I never said anything about him,” she began, “but I thought we were both finally over and I never wanted to remember anything about him.” She told me all about their relationship, and how she never knew he was a cultist until he got involved in a gang war and almost lost his life. “Things became different from then on,” she explained, “and most times, I was always at the receiving end of his anger and frustrations. I actually lived in fear whenever I was with him, and for a while I was too scared to even break up with Him.” She went on a bit more before she stopped suddenly and became quiet.

I pulled her close to me and put my arms around her as the tears began to drop from her eyes. Even though I was in pains, I could understand the emotional trauma she must have been through and I felt really sorry for her. I offered the comfort of my arms for as long as she needed while she wept quietly. “I’m sorry,” she finally said, as she calmed herself and wiped the tears off her face.

“It’s not your fault,” I said, “but can you do me a favour?”

“What’s that?”

“Call the police or any of the emergency response numbers, and let them know that your life is being threatened, and that He might come to your house anytime. I have a feeling He’ll be here anytime soon.”

“Okay,” she said, and it seemed as though there was no life in her voice anymore.

“Do it now, while I lock all the doors and windows” I said and gently stood up.

“But, what if they don’t come? You know how the Nigerian Police Force is.”

“Just do as I say, Nancy, or else we’ll both be dead when he shows up.”

When we were done with our duties, we sat on the sofa and hopefully waited for the police to arrive. She gave me the glass of water and the tablet of panadol to swallow. Since we had nothing much to say, I recounted as best as I could remember the brawl that took place. I was still talking when we heard a gentle knock on the door. She stared at me with a look that said, ‘should I open the door?’ and I slowly nodded. I thought it was the police, but I guess I was wrong.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Guns, Germs And Steel Audiobook: How Do I Get It? / Finding Zara / Short Story Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.