Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,448 members, 7,812,370 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Why You Should Not Vote Buhari Come 28 March, 2015 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Should Not Vote Buhari Come 28 March, 2015 (695 Views)

I May Not Vote PDP Presidential Candidate In 2019 – Governor Umahi / Jonathan Will Not Hand Over Power To Buhari Come May 29 -minister Of Information / Jonathan Will Defeat Buhari Come Febuary 14th 2015 - Tony Anenih (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Not Vote Buhari Come 28 March, 2015 by TK16(m): 3:49pm On Mar 25, 2015
Buhari as generally known was the 7th Head of State of Nigeria, and he lasted in office from 31 December 1983 – 27 August 1985. He Preceded Shehu shagari and was succeeded by Ibrahim Babangida. He was also Governor of the Northern Eastern State and was in office from 31 December 1975 – 27 August 1976 and he succeeded Musa Usman.

Muhammadu Buhari was born on 17th December 1942 (age 72) in Duara, Nigeria. He is a Nigerian by birth and an active member of the All Progressive Congress (APC) political party and he is an a Muslim. His official website is www.thisisbuhari.com
In his military career his allegiance was to Nigeria and he served in Nigerian Army from 1961 – 1985 where he got the rank of a Major General.

He unsuccessfully ran for the office of the president for three (3) years (2003, 2007, 2011) and now, he is also a candidate for the 2015 Presidential Elections.
Buhari was one of the participants in the coup that saw Nigeria’s first self appointed Head of State Aguiyi Ironsi and other Igbo officers and also Adekunle Fajuyi, the military governor of the western region assassinated in July 28 1966. He was appointed Governor of the North-Eastern state by General Murtala Mohammed in Febuary 1976.

He was appointed as the Federal Commissioner (now known as Minister) for Petroleum and Natural Resources and was also the chairman of the NNPC.
$2.8 billion allegedly went missing from the accounts of the NNPC in Midlands Bank in the UK, which made Former President Ibrahim Babangida accuse him for being responsible for his fraud.

Major General Buhari led the coup of December 31, 1983 that saw the Democratically elected government of Shehu Shagari overthrown. He was appointed Chief of General Staff (the de fact No. 2 in the administration) after the murder of Tunde Idiagbon. Muhammadu Buhari suspended Nigeria’s 1979 Constitution.

Buhari threw anyone who criticized his government into jail, which saw Nigerian’s afro-beat singer Fela Kuti arrested and sentenced to ten (10) years in prison. But Fela Kuti was freed after 18 months, when the Buhari government was deposed in a coup d’etat.

In 1984, Buhari passed Decree No. 4, the Protection Against False Accusations Decree, considered by scholars as the most brutal press law ever in Nigeria. Section 1 of the law states “Any person who publishes in any form, whether written or otherwise, any message, rumour, report or statement […] which is false in any material particular or which brings or is calculated to bring the Federal Military Government or the Government of a state or public officer to ridicule or disrepute, shall be guilty of an offence under his decree”. The law added that journalists and publishers found guilty are subjected to a 10,000 Naira fine and 2 years in prison.

Buhari was so tough that a famine which existed in the east of Niger was tagged “El Buhari”. Another of Buhari’s inhumane ruling was his War Against Indiscipline

(WAI) launched on 20th March, 1984. Where unruly civilians were made to form neat queues under the nose of whip-wielding soldiers. Any civil worker that is late to work is made to “Frog Jump”. Any student above 17 caught in exam malpractice would get a 21 years jail sentence. Counterfeiting and fire-starting could lead to the death penalty.

His regime saw critics from many, including Nigerian’s first Nobel Prize Winner Wole Soyinka, who in 2007, wrote a piece called “The Crimes of Buhari”.
About 500 politicians, officials and businessmen were jailed for corruption charges under the reign of Buhari.

In 1985, Major General Muhammadu Buhari was overthrown.

In 2003 he contested for presidency as a candidate of the All Nigeria People’s Party (ANPP). He was defeated by the People’s Democratic Party’s candidate, Olusegun Obasanj0, by a margin not less than eleven million votes.

In 2007, his main challenger was Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, who was the candidate of the ruling party, PDP. In the election, Buhari could only claim 18% of the votes, while Umaru Yar’Adua claimed 70%. Buhari rejected this figures though.
The ANPP later agreed to join Yar’Adua’s government but Buhari opted not to join.
In March 2010 Buhari left the ANPP for Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) which he helped its formation.

In April 2011, Buhari was CPC’s presidential candidate, running against the then serving President Goodluck Jonathan of the People’s Democratic Party. The election was stained with violence, which saw 800 lives lost across the country, as Buhari’s supporters attacked Christians in the country.

In spite of the of assertions from Human Rights Watch, whose election verdict was “among the fairest in Nigeria’s history”, Buhari claimed the election was faulty and warned that “if what happened in 2011 should again happen in 2015, by the grace of God, the dog and the baboon would all be soaked in blood”.

Buhari won 12,214,853 votes coming second to the incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan who claimed 22,495,185 votes and was declared the winner.
Now in 2015 again, Buhari representing the All Progressive Congress (APC) is also a candidate of the presidential elections.

Buhari has now claimed to reunite Nigeria if he is voted in to power, to stop violence and the killing of innocent civilians and also to respects civilian’s civil rights. How possible is this when his track record above is the opposite of what he claims. How can he rule Nigeria democratically when all he has done is killing and leading coup d’états and jumping from one political party to another.

Your vote is your power, use it wisely. Do not place your thumb for someone who is ready to shed blood if he loses, for someone who you cannot guarantee his democratic leadership qualities, who has reached an age of senility, whose cruelty can never be erased from the face of earth.

Get Your Voter’s Card If You Do Not Have For That Is Your Voice, Let Your Opinion Be Known.

Vote For A Leader, Not A Ruler

Vote Wisely Nigerians
Source http://truefacts..com

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Vote Buhari Come 28 March, 2015 by fresh15: 5:14pm On Mar 25, 2015
Some of the people blind folded by the APC toga of 'change' do not clearly understand what they are getting into, while I agree that you have some decent elements in the party APC. Yes decent human beings that are better respected and even I regard as great mentors of society and generations to come. This class of people are well liked and highly respected individuals that you may not compare them with some rascals and truants that you may find in other parties. I often wonder why the APC is a party filled with 'strange bed fellows', if you check the composition of the APC you would discover that it is a party filled predominantly of desperate and disgruntled politicians from the PDP and other parties.

As a young boy my dad often warned me not to have any form of dealings with a desperate individual and that by so doing I would have my fingers burnt and regret it afterwards. As he would say "a desperate man can kill", this frightening words have never left my mind since I was a boy. A lot of young people do not understand what dangers these desperate men you currently have in the APC portends to the security, peace and unity of Nigeria as a country that's why I call on the decent few I have earlier described that are still within their rank and file, and also young boys and girls who never knew the antecedents of these desperate characters to please 'shine your eyes'. Pastor Tunde Bakare even said it better "I trust Buhari but I don't trust the environment that he is in". Get this right Buhari is not a demon, nor is he demented but matter of fact is that as the saying goes "The evil that men do lives with them".
Buhari's and his many sins
1. Human rights: Because of Buhari and Babaginda, Fela Anikulapo Kuti composed several songs like 'Overtake don overtake overtake', 'Animal in human skin', 'Animal can't dash us human rights'. Fela may have been a 'prophet' of his time. I agree with him though in some of his words, if you have abused the rights of others you can't turn around now and pretend to 'dash' us human rights under the pretence of Change. A leopard cannot change its spots. Buhari ceased power in 1983 and systematically abused Nigerians of their rights of justice and fair hearing. Politicians were accused of bogus crimes of corruption and tried under kangaroo courts, while there may have been a few who were corrupt, the innocent were not spared. They were given heavy sentencing some as much as 323 years. The trauma such people as Ambrose Ali faced in prison was what killed him afterwards. Like Ahmadu Bello, Ambrose Ali after massively developing Bendel state had to his credit only one small bungalow in his home town.
2. Decree 4 and Decree 2: He was infamous for his constant harassment of the Press and Civil rights groups as a means of concealing the truth from ordinary Nigerians. At will he threw people into jail without any form of charge and such journalist as Nduka Irabor would tell you of their experiences. Some were tortured and are still traumatised till today, some even lost their lives in the process.
3. Ghana must go: As a child growing up our economy was booming and as such we had a lot of foreigners living around us. We had Asians especially Indians and Pakistanis, Eastern Europeans and of course Africans all running from economic hardships in their countries. Some were professionals and experts in their fields and we also had artisans and others who did menial labour, we had some Africans who were professionals but most were involved in menial work. Interestingly of all these sets of people that were in Nigeria Buhari singled out Ghanians and sent them packing without any form of compensation and compassion. If you must note during the civil war a lot of Nigerians ran to Ghana to take cover even Nnamdi Azikiwe schooled in Ghana. Some of these Nigerians that escaped the civil war married their Ghanian girl friends and boy friends and returned to Nigeria after the war was over. To be sent packing in such a manner was indeed callous, and painfully some were forced to leave with just only a bag irrespective of the wealth or properties that they had accumulated from decent hard work. So young people as you go out to the shops to buy that 'Ghana must go' bag without knowing truly why they call those bags with such a name, now you know.
4. Economic policies: I don't need again to explain to you that Buhari is bereft of ideas when it comes to economic issues and the handling of the economy. Start with the reprinting of the naira when he ceased power. As a boy we were jubilant that we were seeing the new face of the naira, what we didn't understand then was the economic impact and the implications. His excuse for doing so was that corrupt politicians who had stolen funds hidden under their beds may not be able to exchange their cash for the new currency. The impact of this together with his import license policy helped to devalue the naira and rubbish it's exchange power. Before he ceased power the naira had a strong exchange value against major currencies for decades the naira had been exchanging for £1.00/N2.00 and $1.00/0.60 kobo. For the first time ever it was during Buhari's regime that the naira started to depreciate in value. It's laughable when now he is the same person shouting that naira is exchanging at $1.00/N220.00. Even with this all is not lost as the Chinese and Japanese constantly and intentionally devalue their currency as a means to curbing dumping of products and hence boosting local production. Now the desperate politicians are encouraging him to make promises like building four refineries, free education, free lunch, monthly stipends and allowances for jobless youths and so on without proper economic planning and drafting.
5. Irresponsible utterances: His irresponsible utterances especially with disregard to its security implications have cost some Nigerians their lives and properties. He had said "The baboons and monkeys would be soaked in their blood" who are these baboons and monkeys? His utterances during and after the elections of 2011 were not helpful either. How do you place your self interest above the lives of the innocent and even the nation? Al Gore knew he won the elections but he allowed the interest of America to over shadow his personal interest. Even my dearly beloved Baba Obasanjo allowed the general interest of Nigeria to subdue his personal interest and agenda of running for office as President for a third term. To me that's being a true statesman.
6. Irresponsible actions and inactions: When people were being killed in 2011 under the guise of defending their votes as encouraged by Buhari. He did not come out to make an immediate statement or plea for these miscreants to stop forthwith.
7. The costs of crating Umaru Dikko: Before he parcelled Umaru Dikko in a crate Nigerians had easy access into the United Kingdom (UK) and USA. With a return ticket costing only N500 and just your passport you can travel into these countries without a visa, but his brute approach cost us dearly, the UK came down heavily on Nigerians and withdrew the privileges of travelling under a common wealth of nations. They went further and started denying citizenship to Nigerians born in the UK.
8. Total disregard to women: Initially when contacted on his opinion of the office of the first lady, he had said that he would scrap this office as it had no meaning nor place in his administration. However, having faced a lot of backlash and criticism from Nigerians and international organisations he is forced to go against his will of incorporating women in his government should he win. Now you may find a repackaged Aisha Buhari frying akara (bean cake) in Abuja. Even if APC do not agree with it, GEJ has remained the only government in Nigeria that has worked for the cause of fully incorporating and representing women in government.
9. Islamic agenda: His penchant for fighting the cause and fully supporting sharia is not hidden to many. As such the christian north are wary of supporting him. The fear generally in the minds of people is that this unrepentant supporter of sharia may well be the trump card or joker for Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC) or maybe ISIS currently on a jihaddist campaign, if you would recall boko haram that pledged allegiance to ISIS had nominated Buhari as it's spokesman.
Please truth be told, Nigerians be wary of desperate politicians who are serving their own interest, again I repeat Buhari is a good man and his intentions may have been good but his sins are living with him. The environment that he currently finds himself is one of suspicion and not to be trusted as Chinua Achebe describes it 'Things fall apart and the center cannot hold' that is what the APC stands for.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Vote Buhari Come 28 March, 2015 by TK16(m): 7:42pm On Mar 26, 2015
fresh15:
Some of the people blind folded by the APC toga of 'change' do not clearly understand what they are getting into, while I agree that you have some decent elements in the party APC. Yes decent human beings that are better respected and even I regard as great mentors of society and generations to come. This class of people are well liked and highly respected individuals that you may not compare them with some rascals and truants that you may find in other parties. I often wonder why the APC is a party filled with 'strange bed fellows', if you check the composition of the APC you would discover that it is a party filled predominantly of desperate and disgruntled politicians from the PDP and other parties.

As a young boy my dad often warned me not to have any form of dealings with a desperate individual and that by so doing I would have my fingers burnt and regret it afterwards. As he would say "a desperate man can kill", this frightening words have never left my mind since I was a boy. A lot of young people do not understand what dangers these desperate men you currently have in the APC portends to the security, peace and unity of Nigeria as a country that's why I call on the decent few I have earlier described that are still within their rank and file, and also young boys and girls who never knew the antecedents of these desperate characters to please 'shine your eyes'. Pastor Tunde Bakare even said it better "I trust Buhari but I don't trust the environment that he is in". Get this right Buhari is not a demon, nor is he demented but matter of fact is that as the saying goes "The evil that men do lives with them".
Buhari's and his many sins
1. Human rights: Because of Buhari and Babaginda, Fela Anikulapo Kuti composed several songs like 'Overtake don overtake overtake', 'Animal in human skin', 'Animal can't dash us human rights'. Fela may have been a 'prophet' of his time. I agree with him though in some of his words, if you have abused the rights of others you can't turn around now and pretend to 'dash' us human rights under the pretence of Change. A leopard cannot change its spots. Buhari ceased power in 1983 and systematically abused Nigerians of their rights of justice and fair hearing. Politicians were accused of bogus crimes of corruption and tried under kangaroo courts, while there may have been a few who were corrupt, the innocent were not spared. They were given heavy sentencing some as much as 323 years. The trauma such people as Ambrose Ali faced in prison was what killed him afterwards. Like Ahmadu Bello, Ambrose Ali after massively developing Bendel state had to his credit only one small bungalow in his home town.
2. Decree 4 and Decree 2: He was infamous for his constant harassment of the Press and Civil rights groups as a means of concealing the truth from ordinary Nigerians. At will he threw people into jail without any form of charge and such journalist as Nduka Irabor would tell you of their experiences. Some were tortured and are still traumatised till today, some even lost their lives in the process.
3. Ghana must go: As a child growing up our economy was booming and as such we had a lot of foreigners living around us. We had Asians especially Indians and Pakistanis, Eastern Europeans and of course Africans all running from economic hardships in their countries. Some were professionals and experts in their fields and we also had artisans and others who did menial labour, we had some Africans who were professionals but most were involved in menial work. Interestingly of all these sets of people that were in Nigeria Buhari singled out Ghanians and sent them packing without any form of compensation and compassion. If you must note during the civil war a lot of Nigerians ran to Ghana to take cover even Nnamdi Azikiwe schooled in Ghana. Some of these Nigerians that escaped the civil war married their Ghanian girl friends and boy friends and returned to Nigeria after the war was over. To be sent packing in such a manner was indeed callous, and painfully some were forced to leave with just only a bag irrespective of the wealth or properties that they had accumulated from decent hard work. So young people as you go out to the shops to buy that 'Ghana must go' bag without knowing truly why they call those bags with such a name, now you know.
4. Economic policies: I don't need again to explain to you that Buhari is bereft of ideas when it comes to economic issues and the handling of the economy. Start with the reprinting of the naira when he ceased power. As a boy we were jubilant that we were seeing the new face of the naira, what we didn't understand then was the economic impact and the implications. His excuse for doing so was that corrupt politicians who had stolen funds hidden under their beds may not be able to exchange their cash for the new currency. The impact of this together with his import license policy helped to devalue the naira and rubbish it's exchange power. Before he ceased power the naira had a strong exchange value against major currencies for decades the naira had been exchanging for £1.00/N2.00 and $1.00/0.60 kobo. For the first time ever it was during Buhari's regime that the naira started to depreciate in value. It's laughable when now he is the same person shouting that naira is exchanging at $1.00/N220.00. Even with this all is not lost as the Chinese and Japanese constantly and intentionally devalue their currency as a means to curbing dumping of products and hence boosting local production. Now the desperate politicians are encouraging him to make promises like building four refineries, free education, free lunch, monthly stipends and allowances for jobless youths and so on without proper economic planning and drafting.
5. Irresponsible utterances: His irresponsible utterances especially with disregard to its security implications have cost some Nigerians their lives and properties. He had said "The baboons and monkeys would be soaked in their blood" who are these baboons and monkeys? His utterances during and after the elections of 2011 were not helpful either. How do you place your self interest above the lives of the innocent and even the nation? Al Gore knew he won the elections but he allowed the interest of America to over shadow his personal interest. Even my dearly beloved Baba Obasanjo allowed the general interest of Nigeria to subdue his personal interest and agenda of running for office as President for a third term. To me that's being a true statesman.
6. Irresponsible actions and inactions: When people were being killed in 2011 under the guise of defending their votes as encouraged by Buhari. He did not come out to make an immediate statement or plea for these miscreants to stop forthwith.
7. The costs of crating Umaru Dikko: Before he parcelled Umaru Dikko in a crate Nigerians had easy access into the United Kingdom (UK) and USA. With a return ticket costing only N500 and just your passport you can travel into these countries without a visa, but his brute approach cost us dearly, the UK came down heavily on Nigerians and withdrew the privileges of travelling under a common wealth of nations. They went further and started denying citizenship to Nigerians born in the UK.
8. Total disregard to women: Initially when contacted on his opinion of the office of the first lady, he had said that he would scrap this office as it had no meaning nor place in his administration. However, having faced a lot of backlash and criticism from Nigerians and international organisations he is forced to go against his will of incorporating women in his government should he win. Now you may find a repackaged Aisha Buhari frying akara (bean cake) in Abuja. Even if APC do not agree with it, GEJ has remained the only government in Nigeria that has worked for the cause of fully incorporating and representing women in government.
9. Islamic agenda: His penchant for fighting the cause and fully supporting sharia is not hidden to many. As such the christian north are wary of supporting him. The fear generally in the minds of people is that this unrepentant supporter of sharia may well be the trump card or joker for Organisation of Islamic Countries (OIC) or maybe ISIS currently on a jihaddist campaign, if you would recall boko haram that pledged allegiance to ISIS had nominated Buhari as it's spokesman.
Please truth be told, Nigerians be wary of desperate politicians who are serving their own interest, again I repeat Buhari is a good man and his intentions may have been good but his sins are living with him. The environment that he currently finds himself is one of suspicion and not to be trusted as Chinua Achebe describes it 'Things fall apart and the center cannot hold' that is what the APC stands for.
Great Piece

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Army Debunks Kidnap Of 500 People In Damasak / Why Buhari Will Beat Jonathan -Onu / Buhari’s Cross River Campaign Co-ordinator Decamps To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.