Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

What Is Wrong With African Presidents? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What Is Wrong With African Presidents? (925 Views)

5 Best Presidents in African History / Michelle Obama Meets With African Youth On “mtv Base Meets” / Most Outstanding African Presidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With African Presidents? by princekevo(m): 6:55pm On Jan 20, 2009
Ghanaians have criticised plans to give former President John Kufuor a massive retirement package, including six chauffeur-driven cars and two houses.

The benefits, which also include a lump-sum thought to be worth $400,000, were approved on Mr Kufuor's last day in office earlier this month.

New parliamentary speaker Alban Bagbin said it was embarrassing that MPs had taken the decision behind closed doors.

But another MP said it would prevent leaders clinging on to power.

The six cars can be replaced every four years and the former president can pick any two houses.

The package also includes a budget for entertaining, security and a foreign holiday each year.

Mr Bagbin told the BBC that he had not even known that a committee of MPs was meeting to discuss the measures, which had not been debated, bypassing normal parliamentary procedure.

Former President Jerry Rawlings could also benefit from the package but he told the BBC that he had told the committee to "get lost" when they approached him.

"I've lived with the little accorded to me all this time. I told them to get lost.

"You're not going to entice me with that grandiose rubbish designed for Kufuor."

Please can someone tell me how many cars and houses George Bush will go with as the president of America if Kuffour president of Ghana is going with 6cars and 2buildings outside the onec he stole on the sit,
Re: What Is Wrong With African Presidents? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 20, 2009
Erhmm where's the source?

But another MP said it would prevent leaders clinging on to power.

Hehehe
Re: What Is Wrong With African Presidents? by princekevo(m): 7:02pm On Jan 20, 2009
stillwater:

Erhmm where's the source?

Hehehe

Is that an excuse? Is the sit their father's house. Ghana has had several presidents he is not the first northe 2nd. Why he want to start up all these craps

(1) (Reply)

I Hope They Don't Assassinate Obama Someday As Many Have Predicted / President Obama Now Moving Towards Ground Troops In Libya / South Sudan Is The Worlds Newest Country Any Hope For Biafra?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.