Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Apc's Mustard Seed - The Social Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apc's Mustard Seed - The Social Media (3454 Views)

Anti-social Media Bill Is Needed To Clean Up The Social Media Space — APC / The Social Media - The Rise And Fall Of President M. Buhari. / Elections 2015: Why The Social Media Is Highly Overrated - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Apc's Mustard Seed - The Social Media by Enoquin(f): 10:02am On Mar 26, 2015
Disclaimer - This article does not intend any bias to any political party as the love for my country transcends being bound to a party's ideology; this is a neutral article that intends to point out the beauty of the opposition.

In early 2013, I watched a classic 'Les miserables'; this movie put most people off because it was a sung-throughout musical but it was pure heaven for people like me because of
1. The music
2. The story line
3. The intended message (s)
4. One of my favourite actress (Anne Hathaway)

I wrote a review on it immediately I finished watching that year and posted it on Naija Stories. If you stumble on the review, you might find it a bit incoherent because it was more of an emotional review. I digress.

The movie reminded me so much about Nigeria and our situation, most of which were expressed through the music 'Look down, you'll always be a slave' and 'At the end of the day' that I felt profound sorrow after watching.
For those of us who love reading historical books, novels and watching such movies; you'll agree that France went through many difficult periods but this article isn't about France and all her revolutions but on the particular message 'Les miserable' brought.

The message was 'the freedom of a country for the greater good of all will always rest on the sweat, tears and blood of just a tiny few'
Indeed, many people can talk about how cruel the authorities and how their policies are rarely people-oriented but few will stand before the said authority to protest because most people cling to the fact that dying in vain is worse than living in tears. Who no like im life?

I don't like APC maybe because of the calibre of people in it, while doing my I.T, I was there when Tinubu made his 'that Ota farmer' jab at the then president and also witnessed the level of politicking to which some 'preachers' - no jab intended at Osibanjo- sunk but I like what they have done so far in pushing to the fore the inadequacies of its arch rival, the PDP even though I do not like the barrage of insults at the office of the president or his family or the fact that their message is a pack of cards - change from a 'messiah'; not because I do not desire progress but because I see that the 'messiah' is bound by chains that he cannot readily extricate himself from. Let's face facts, the real change lies or is needed in the red and green chambers.

The PDP on the other hand, which I always refer to as a complacent party projects itself as a party of lazy people, pot-bellied and fat - no offense intended at fat or slim people - from the wealth of the land, refusing to look into the future but instead guiding the country with averted looks.
For example, early in 2014, in a gathering, I met a PDP campaign manager for someone who hadn't yet declared for a senatorial seat and I asked him this,
"How is it that people are hearing about APC on the radio, seeing them on Television, reading their opinions on Newspapers but hardly hear about the PDP?"
"It doesn't matter," he replied.
"Well, I think it does. APC realizes the power of the media especially the social media and I like the fact that they are utilizing it."
"Look, young lady. How many people do you think are online? It doesn't matter if they talk from today till tomorrow, it changes nothing. People know what PDP has achieved and will look at that. Have you not seen agriculture? Forget those people"

What is wrong with the above conversation? The inability of PDP in seeing the changing times. Their inability to see that it has gone beyond NTA. Yes, I have seen agriculture and its effect already in the markets (availability of foodstuffs minus the pricing) but if I didn't live so close to fresh food, I wouldn't have noticed. That is if I was still in Lagos, I doubt I would have noticed the changes.
Will their complacency have any bearing on the coming elections in a few days? It might not be a gigantic factor just yet but APC has sown a mustard seed - the social media - which will blossom into a huge tree either now or in the next 4 years.

The 2 parties have their campaign anomalies, like the APC trying to push the SS and SE into a guilt trip about tribalism, religious and sentimental voting when almost all the Northerners have gone home ready to do the same, tribalism, religious and sentimental voting.
Or the PDP trying to toy religiously and politically with our feelings as regards Boko Haram, in an aim to get votes from those willing to forget.

So, why should kudos be given to APC self? Because whatever happens on Saturday, any serious opposition will learn to harness the power of the social media for the next 4 years, imagine controlling two elements; the grassroots (ones with no access to the social media) and the social media especially as there is bound to be an increase in smart phone owners.
It is worthy to note that, the social media even as a beneficial tool can be ruthless because it brings forth a social awakening that once awoken cannot be put to sleep either temporarily or permanently, in other words, there is no going back from this road.

So, the 'true' progress seekers in the country from the opposition party should regardless of Saturday's result be proud of this, that they awoken, that they dared and that they believed.

The correlation between that revolution albeit failed in Les Miserable and that of APC is the sown 'seed', the only difference being in the blood shed.

I cannot resist adding this song from 'Les Miserable' to this article.

Do you hear the people sing?
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the songs of angry men
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again;
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drum
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

God bless Nigeria!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Apc's Mustard Seed - The Social Media by generaliy07(m): 10:21am On May 12, 2015
OP, You have a FUNCTIONING Brain

I wonder why this hasn't attracted any comment so far, if its all these "how to spot an olosho, 15 ways to lick an a$s, Tonto Dike and Whizy snap pictures stories, it would have garnered hundreds of comments and FP

Youths aren't encouraged to use their brains on social networks, thank God you still use yours

Thumbs up
Re: Apc's Mustard Seed - The Social Media by NiceMen: 10:40am On Nov 03, 2020
Wow, what an expose

(1) (Reply)

Live Update 2!! President Jonathan Winning 22 states by 25% / 2015 Elections: My Perception About The Yorubas! / If The Elections Were To Be Reconducted Today, Who Would You Vote For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.