Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,778 members, 7,844,529 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu (749 Views)

Why I Appeared Before Code Of Conduct Tribunal - Saraki / Photo: New Customs Boss Hameed Ali Assumes Duty In Mufti / The Internet, Nigeria Newspaper, Oga Yar Adua And Sss Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by nwosas(m): 8:16am On Jan 21, 2009
Even in his present travails, former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission [EFCC], Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, remains unperturbed and unrepentant over his conduct that culminated in his demotion and subsequent dismissal from the Nigeria Police Force.
Specifically, Ribadu had in his reply to a query issued to him by the police authorities justified his action for appearing with his colleague at NIPSS before the president in mufti instead of police uniform, saying he was not on official police assignment.
"With regards to my appearance before the president in plain clothes, please be informed that neither the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) nor any person or body instructed me to appear in official uniform. Furthermore, I was not on official police duty during the said visit.
"The said visit was for participants of NIPSS-an institution of higher learning. There was no rule of NIPPS that stipulates that I should have worn police uniform on that occasion. In any event sir, if I violated any rule of NIPPS on that or any other occasion, it is my most humble submission that it is NIP SS, under whose control I was at that time, that can call me to order," he told a Federal High Court as the police authorities said the former EFCC boss was given adequate and ample opportunity by way of fair hearing to respond to the allegations against him that led to his eventual dismissal from the Force.
Responding to the suit filed by Ribadu, the police accused the former EFCC chairman of deliberate refusal to appear before the disciplinary committee set up to investigate the allegations against him.
It would be recalled that the Police Service Commission [PSC] announced the dismissal of Ribadu from the Force on November 27, 2008, after his failure to appear before a committee set up to investigate some allegation leveled against him.
At a separate meeting with the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, the Police Affairs Minister said that Ribadu's dismissal from the Police Force was final.
He was demoted from the rank of an Assistant Inspector -General of Police (AIG), to the rank of Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP).
On November 21, 2008 allegations of improper dressing, discreditable conduct, negligence, conduct prejudicial to discipline, serious acts of misconduct and disobedience to lawful order were raised against him.
Ribadu filed a suit against the IGP, the Police Service Commission and the Attorney General of the Federation to challenge his dismissal from the police.
He said in the suit, "the first defendant (Police Service Commission) did not at anytime afford me an opportunity of making representations to her on any of the allegations contained in the letter of dismissal before it took its decision at fourth statutory meeting to dismiss me from the Nigeria Police.
"If the first defendant had afforded me an opportunity to make representations to her, I would have shown to her that I was not in any way guilty of any of the alleged acts of misconduct contained in her letter - Exhibit NR 11.
"I verily believe that the 1st Defendant has a duty to afford me an opportunity to make representations to her on all the allegations contained in her letter dated 22nd December, 2008 before taking its decision to dismiss me from the Nigeria Police Force.
"I also verily believe that the decision of the 1st Defendant dismissing me from the Nigeria Police Force on the basis of the allegations contained in her letter of 22nd December, 2008, without first affording me an opportunity of making representations to her in respect of the various allegations was a serious violation of my rights."
But the police, through their counsel, Paul Milton Ohwovoriole SAN, filed a notice of preliminary objection to Ribadu's suit. In the object, the police counsel said Ribadu's suit was incompetent and also a gross abuse to court process because he (Ribadu) has instituted four cases against the IGP in the same court. He added that the former EFCC boss do not have the legal right to initiate the action.
The police in their counter affidavit to the suit Ribadu filed said that Ribadu was given fair hearing before he was dismissed.
"The plaintiff (Ribadu) was given adequate and ample opportunity by way of fair hearing to make representations before the said disciplinary committee but frittered away the opportunity when he deliberately refused to appear before the committee," the police said.
Re: Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by olanajim(m): 9:49am On Jan 21, 2009
Ribadu was indeed given fair hearing. . . . . On the pages of newspapers.
Re: Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by ayobase(m): 11:31am On Jan 21, 2009
they wan bury that man
because na Obasanjo`s boy!!!
Re: Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by cre8tivity(f): 2:09pm On Jan 21, 2009
With regards to my appearance before the president in plain clothes, please be informed that neither the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) nor any person or body instructed me to appear in official uniform. Furthermore, I was not on official police duty during the said visit.
"The said visit was for participants of NIPSS-an institution of higher learning. There was no rule of NIPPS that stipulates that I should have worn police uniform on that occasion. In any event sir, if I violated any rule of NIPPS on that or any other occasion, it is my most humble submission that it is NIP SS, under whose control I was at that time, that can call me to order,"
here comes ribadu drafting his own personal rules and regulations. the dumbest bush-boy around.
Re: Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by olanajim(m): 4:12pm On Jan 21, 2009
Mr Anti Ribadu,
why will you allow sentiment to becloud your sense of judgements? Granted that Ribadu comitted some errors while at EFCC, is there any law that state that once you make mistake all you good deeds must be discountenanced, even when your good deeds far outnumber your mistakes on a balanced scale?

On the issue at hand, are you aware that Ribadu, is a victim of Nigerian inconsistent laws? That he fall as a victim and still manage to perform creditably is enough for you to take a second look at him. In case you are not aware, Ribadu is supposed to be on police leave while being seconded to EFCC. In other word, he is responsible to who ever the constitution vested in the power of EFCC. Unfortunately, the law was not clearly stated to that effect. Need I remind you that a bill is presently at NASS, to correct that anormally?

I do not know what you stand to gain by running down the man. Even Abraham Lincolm, Nelson Mandela, Mahathma Ghandi, Bill Clinton etc committed errors while at the helm of leadership. People remember them for the good they did and not for their errors.
Re: Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by cre8tivity(f): 6:09pm On Jan 21, 2009
why will you allow sentiment to becloud your sense of judgements? Granted that Ribadu comitted some errors while at EFCC, is there any law that state that once you make mistake all you good deeds must be discountenanced, even when your good deeds far outnumber your mistakes on a balanced scale?
wrong statement. we can not accurately put together ribadu's good deeds as efcc chairman without him coming out like a man to confront all these unanswered questions. and this is the point.
ribadu will be properly judged when we have all necessary information regarding his operations as efcc chairman, till then, the difference between alams and ribadu is not much. this is all based on the info that we have at this time. may be it's time for ribadu's supporters to encourage him to come out like a man and a great citizen of nigeria to defend himself.
Re: Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 21, 2009
creativity is a thief, this I know.

The latest spin in town is that Yahooo boys want Ribadu back. Ribadu adverseries can't get any more ridiculous.
Re: Why I Appeared Before Yar' Adua In Mufti -ribadu by olanajim(m): 5:17am On Jan 22, 2009
Creativity,
then I challenge you to boldly enumerate Ribadu's good deeds and bad deeds and the weight them on your scale. Since you know so much about Ribadu that you can easily condemn him for whatever ill he did to you or your friend, you must accept the challenge to convince us that you are worth hearing. Be objective and and see how smart you are.

If you can't do this successfully, then you are a liar, pursuing personal grudge against Ribadu.

(1) (Reply)

We‘ve No Gay Nor Lesbian Group In Nigeria, Says Cheif Ojo Madueke / Apology To Ibrahim Geidam, Yobe State Governor / Lagos, Big Plans, Big Debts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.