Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

The Polling Units Under My Watch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Polling Units Under My Watch (2046 Views)

Military Stops Amaechi From Inspecting Polling Units In The State (Photos) / Tinubu And Atiku At Their Polling Units (photos) / What To Do On The Day Of Election At The Polling Unit In Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Polling Units Under My Watch by mcdokwe(m): 10:30pm On Mar 30, 2015
I had always nursed the idea of being part of an electoral process. The 2015 elections presented that opportunity and my being posted to the north for my national service year where a lot of people detested due to its history of post electoral violence didn't kill the desire in me.

So it was with enthusiasm that I took up the role of a presiding officer in a very remote Village about 3hrs away from a semblance of civilisation.

Tunga in Birbyang, Kanam local government is one locality not known to most natives of the same local government, but I had no choice than to take up the call of duty.

We left Dengi the LGA quarters for the locality at about 10pm with electoral materials and I was woken up when we arrived, electoral materials were shared among the adhoc staff of the 4 units in the rac into the morning and I was finally able to catch some sleep from about 3am on the 28th only to be woken up later at about 6am. We made some preps and rode into the village where we paid homage to the community head who promised us breakfast, we later left for the polling centre where we met a handful of people already waiting, the booth was setup and we settled for the business of the day.

The card reader failed with the first few people who where ready and we thought it was something we didn't do right, apprehension was mounting and I had to assure the people around that they were going to vote whether or not the card reader worked, giving away the fact that I spoke a bit of Hausa which I had fought so had to keep even from the native adhoc staff.

I had to take up the accreditation process myself whilst also monitoring the progress of the card readers as I had a voting point attached to the unit. Not sooner had the accreditation commenced that I noticed some obviously underage voter brandishing there PVCs, hoping to be accredited as well, it got to a head when they won't stop coming and even much younger kids came around with the PVCs, I declined pointing out they were too young only for the villagers to warn me to do what I came to do claiming that showing a PVC is enough requirement to vote. I then directed them to the voting point aware of the possible consequence of defying them even while trying to maintain a strong moral stance.

Seconds ran into minutes and then hours and the crowd kept mounting and with it more people who didn't have a business being there.

It was approaching 1.30pm and I knew I had to stop more people from joining the crew only for me to notice the complete absence of the security personnel posted to the unit, a situation that prevailed until the end.

I was getting exhausted and the crowd kept mounting, I had to allow my apo who happened to be a fellow corp member take up the process while I took a walk around. The crowd defied all forms of control and I had to count on the card readers running down to stop the process as they were determined that even those who have yet to come would still get accredited, my APOs were laising with the locals and handing out electoral materials meant to be handled only by officials to them and when I noticed and pointed it out, some youths were pointing fingers at me and on top of their voices and I had to quietely inform the elders who were apparently educated and that is wasn't about getting the highest number of votes, that it could count for zero if not properly handled, and same had to be communicated to the youths that I was raising pertinent points which was for their good. And they calmed down.
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by mcdokwe(m): 10:51pm On Mar 30, 2015
They were poised that all possible voters be accredited until I told them that once the reader goes off, every other thing comes to nought.

No sooner had the accreditation ended that they called me aside, telling me they have an established process very different from the laid down process and that I had better stuck to it so as not to cause problem for them or myself.

They said all the voters would have to go while the agents would take over the thumb printing for the already allocated number of votes promising I won't have a problem as the agents for the respective parties were appointed by them and by that answerable to them, seeing that I had no choice, I succumbed to their request and proceeded to count out ballots against the number of accredited number of voters.

they had made up their mind that APC gets the whole vote for the presidency while the vote for the NASS gets randomly shared.

I urged them to allot some number of votes to the PDP so as not to create suspicion of foul play thus getting 11 votes for the PDP as against the 756 votes of the APC.
My colleagues compromised, security non-existent, if I needed to run, I could run and run and get exhausted from running without getting anywhere.
I am sure something similar or worsee happened other places both in favour against both parties, their by eroding the credibility of the elections.

Thank You

2 Likes

Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by go4value(m): 11:05pm On Mar 30, 2015
hmmmmmmm.....front page materiel..
@op no pix?

GLO IS THE BEST NETWORK.... I glo with pride
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by mcdokwe(m): 11:09pm On Mar 30, 2015
go4value:
hmmmmmmm.....front page materiel..
@op no pix?

GLO IS THE BEST NETWORK.... I glo with pride
I got videos but can't upload using my phone.
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by Weeke(m): 12:10am On Mar 31, 2015
Kindly share pictures and or videos.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by emekaD3(m): 1:39pm On Mar 31, 2015
chaii
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by Sibrah: 1:44pm On Mar 31, 2015
We know better. Once the electronic approach of voting isn't fully adopted, any part handled by humans would be compromised. Right from 2011 the electronic voting approach has been flawed. Each voters print should map to another finger print copy that is secretly embedded in their card and should only be deciphered by INEC-regulated devices A.K.A card reader.
The OP shouldn't have challenged those perceived under-aged voters during voting exercise . The evil was done by whoever registered them in the first place.

1 Like

Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by Uchefrancis16(m): 2:07pm On Mar 31, 2015
THIS IS SERIOUS. I don't blame you bro don't risk your life for a no just course. If you refuse, you end up loosing your life to those thugs while the deed will still be accomplished. Enough security should have been provided to polling units especially ones in the north.

I just petty those INEC officials killed in Gombe!

GOD HELP US ALL!
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by Obinnau(m): 2:11pm On Mar 31, 2015
same thing happened in the P.U where i observed but my own na just observe and send in your reports chikena. its the fault of the people that registered the underage voter.
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by tranxo(m): 2:11pm On Mar 31, 2015
mcdokwe:
They were poised that all possible voters be accredited until I told them that once the reader goes off, every other thing comes to nought.

No sooner had the accreditation ended that they called me aside, telling me they have an established process very different from the laid down process and that I had better stuck to it so as not to cause problem for them or myself.

They said all the voters would have to go while the agents would take over the thumb printing for the already allocated number of votes promising I won't have a problem as the agents for the respective parties were appointed by them and by that answerable to them, seeing that I had no choice, I succumbed to their request and proceeded to count out ballots against the number of accredited number of voters.

they had made up their mind that APC gets the whole vote for the presidency while the vote for the NASS gets randomly shared.

I urged them to allot some number of votes to the PDP so as not to create suspicion of foul play thus getting 11 votes for the PDP as against the 756 votes of the APC.
My colleagues compromised, security non-existent, if I needed to run, I could run and run and get exhausted from running without getting anywhere.
I am sure something similar or worsee happened other places both in favour against both parties, their by eroding the credibility of the elections.

Thank You
So after you have gotten to safety, did you make an official report as a presiding officer about what you just wrote here?
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by mcdokwe(m): 2:16pm On Mar 31, 2015
tranxo:
So after you have gotten to safety, did you make an official report as a presiding officer about what you just wrote here?
to who? Come go make am na
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by coalcoal1(m): 2:25pm On Mar 31, 2015
insightful
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by JesusDWay(m): 2:28pm On Mar 31, 2015
mcdokwe:
to who? Come go make am na

Hahahahhahahahaha......lollll

1 Like

Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by valandy99(m): 2:35pm On Mar 31, 2015
Apc might win but Buhari will not rule this country, mark my word
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by billyG(m): 5:40pm On Mar 31, 2015
mcdokwe:
I had always nursed the idea of being part of an electoral process. The 2015 elections presented that opportunity and my being posted to the north for my national service year where a lot of people detested due to its history of post electoral violence didn't kill the desire in me.

So it was with enthusiasm that I took up the role of a presiding officer in a very remote Village about 3hrs away from a semblance of civilisation.

Tunga in Birbyang, Kanam local government is one locality not known to most natives of the same local government, but I had no choice than to take up the call of duty.

We left Dengi the LGA quarters for the locality at about 10pm with electoral materials and I was woken up when we arrived, electoral materials were shared among the adhoc staff of the 4 units in the rac into the morning and I was finally able to catch some sleep from about 3am on the 28th only to be woken up later at about 6am. We made some preps and rode into the village where we paid homage to the community head who promised us breakfast, we later left for the polling centre where we met a handful of people already waiting, the booth was setup and we settled for the business of the day.

The card reader failed with the first few people who where ready and we thought it was something we didn't do right, apprehension was mounting and I had to assure the people around that they were going to vote whether or not the card reader worked, giving away the fact that I spoke a bit of Hausa which I had fought so had to keep even from the native adhoc staff.

I had to take up the accreditation process myself whilst also monitoring the progress of the card readers as I had a voting point attached to the unit. Not sooner had the accreditation commenced that I noticed some obviously underage voter brandishing there PVCs, hoping to be accredited as well, it got to a head when they won't stop coming and even much younger kids came around with the PVCs, I declined pointing out they were too young only for the villagers to warn me to do what I came to do claiming that showing a PVC is enough requirement to vote. I then directed them to the voting point aware of the possible consequence of defying them even while trying to maintain a strong moral stance.

Seconds ran into minutes and then hours and the crowd kept mounting and with it more people who didn't have a business being there.

It was approaching 1.30pm and I knew I had to stop more people from joining the crew only for me to notice the complete absence of the security personnel posted to the unit, a situation that prevailed until the end.

I was getting exhausted and the crowd kept mounting, I had to allow my apo who happened to be a fellow corp member take up the process while I took a walk around. The crowd defied all forms of control and I had to count on the card readers running down to stop the process as they were determined that even those who have yet to come would still get accredited, my APOs were laising with the locals and handing out electoral materials meant to be handled only by officials to them and when I noticed and pointed it out, some youths were pointing fingers at me and on top of their voices and I had to quietely inform the elders who were apparently educated and that is wasn't about getting the highest number of votes, that it could count for zero if not properly handled, and same had to be communicated to the youths that I was raising pertinent points which was for their good. And they calmed down.
I want to see pics not a baboon & dog stories meen!
Re: The Polling Units Under My Watch by mcdokwe(m): 6:20pm On Mar 31, 2015
billyG:

I want to see pics not a baboon & dog stories meen!
I would send you d address and possibly transport money to come and take d pix

(1) (Reply)

Impeachment Saga-fayose's Commissioner Arrested With Weapons,acid&charms(photos) / Obi Of Onitsha Places Curse On APC For Holding Campaign On Ofala Festival / Any Igbo That Spoke Out Against Abacha????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.