Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

ffff - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / ffff (3958 Views)

Photos Of Pilots Killed In The Air Crash / Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine / Study Opportunities In Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ffff by naijamd(m): 9:41pm On Jan 22, 2009
jjjjjjj
Re: ffff by osisi2(f): 9:43pm On Jan 22, 2009
God help you.

naijamd:

a nigerian was stabbed to death in ukraine a few days ago,i am very angry at what is happening to nigerians in diaspora,and the nigerian goverment is doing nothing to help,please say something before i take laws into my hands,i[b] am presently thinking of stabbing everybody in the ukrainean embassy here in nigeria,what do you think?[/b]
Re: ffff by MrCrackles(m): 9:44pm On Jan 22, 2009
naijamd:

a nigerian was stabbed to death in ukraine a few days ago,i am very angry at what is happening to nigerians in diaspora,and the nigerian goverment is doing nothing to help,please say something before[b] i take laws into my hands[/b],i am presently thinking of stabbing everybody in the ukrainean embassy here in nigeria,what do you think?

Take laws into your own hand at your own peril
!
Re: ffff by naijamd(m): 9:58pm On Jan 22, 2009
@ mr crackles,why not i am tired of all this white racist killing our brothers,let's become black racist and be biased against this bastards for christ sake,i personaly know that if jesus was in my shoes he will support us,and i know we will win,cos i am certain in the triumph of good over evil,lets face it they are not even as good as we are,or not so?
Re: ffff by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 22, 2009
^^^ I've learnt never to fight battles I know little about.

It's sad he got killed, yes, he's not the first, and sadly, he won't be the last.
The vigilante approach however, is not the way forward, how did this guy get killed?
Any links to the report?
Right now, no one knows what really took place.

If you want to make reprisal attacks, please go ahead, you don't need to ask permission.
I know two wrongs don't equal a right, if everyone took your approach, we'd all be dead, with reprisal attacks on innocent Nigerians, because of the actions of a few unsavoury Nigerian individuals.
Re: ffff by felifeli: 11:44pm On Jan 22, 2009
why was he stabbed  ? Under what circumstances ?
If you go grabbing some white junkie's girlfriend for example you are simply asking for it ; also if you are getting into gangs and putting the reason that you claimed to be in that country (education) in the background you are asking for it. If completely innocently however I am sorry for the guy. I should say no place like home, but Nigerians get killed by Nigerians at home too so ,  . . . . .
Re: ffff by Pepeye(f): 11:15am On Jan 23, 2009
Don’t compound the issue by taking laws into your hands
Re: ffff by symbian03(m): 1:46pm On Jan 23, 2009
Why his he stabbed? There would be a reason i'm sure. I do not believe things until it is officially denied.
Re: ffff by travelcare: 5:11pm On Jan 23, 2009
@ Poster,

Your information lacks genuineness as you did not specify the source of your information. This could mislead the public in their judgment and could lead to other issues that could end up where we never expected. It wont cost you anything, give us a link to the source so that such information can be verified and proper reaction can be expressed. Like it happened in Unilag in 2002 when a non-student  of Unilag was injured by policemen at Bariga and was reported as a student of Unilag. Lack of solid information and impatience of the Unilag Student Union led to a fracas with the police at Bariga but what happened in the end? A bonafide Unilag student lost his life in the fracas! Lets watch it, this is public, inaccurate and incomplete information can be as disastrous as a dynamite dropped at the market square.

Travelcare
Re: ffff by naijamd(m): 1:45pm On Jan 24, 2009
thank you very much travel care,this link will provide all the info you need,and if you even listen to news at all, u will know that this was debated on the floor of the nigerian house of assembly.www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=557:another-nigerian-stabbed-to-death-in-ukraine&catid=116:sr-readers-letters&Itemid=393
Re: ffff by SeanT21(f): 10:57am On Jan 25, 2009
naijamd:

a nigerian was stabbed to death in ukraine a few days ago,i am very angry at what is happening to nigerians in diaspora,and the nigerian goverment is doing nothing to help,please say something before i take laws into my hands,i am presently thinking of stabbing everybody in the ukrainean embassy here in nigeria,what do you think?

Go ahead and do it and see what happens.

Ignore these people and stay out of trouble!!
Re: ffff by blackspade(m): 5:58am On Mar 08, 2009
I'm truly sick of hearing about this type of sh*t happening in Ukraine! R.I P. to the guy, soon, this matter will be dealt with, diplomatically or another type of way. . .

On another note, naijamd, you should really consider editing your first post.

What you said in that could really be taken seriously as a threat. Meaning, they can [and will] track your arse down.
Re: ffff by Nobody: 2:08am On Mar 09, 2009
have you considered the fact that it might be just a crime like any other murder happening in the street of Nigeria? we still don't know the facts in the killing but i can tell you that Nigerians have been killing foreigners in Nigeria too, so the shoe goes both ways. Nigerians are not any better than any other nations, if the killing is due to kidnapping, criminals dealing gone bad or racism, murder is murder.
i know people who are ready to kill nigerians not because they are black/nigerians or what not but just because they have robbed them of their life savings through 419. i know it is not right, BUT I UNDERSTAND how such person feels.
killing someone because he is black. a christian or a criminal is all the same, and it happens on a daily basis around Nigeria AND the world.
Re: ffff by iz2much: 5:23pm On Dec 14, 2009
is high time they stand 4 us
Re: ffff by symbian03(m): 11:08pm On Dec 14, 2009
Who's gonna stand 4u? Dream on my dear!
Re: ffff by blackspade(m): 1:18am On Dec 15, 2009
[size=16pt]Africans find unlikely education at Ukraine universities[/size]

Nigerian Jessica Oladejo, 20, standing in her dorm room at school in Ukraine.

By Terrell Starr

7:11 AM on 12/14/2009

Ukraine is not the first country that comes to mind for many African students wanting to study abroad. It certainly wasn't for Jessica Oladejo, a third year medical student studying at the O.O. Bogomolets National Medical University in Kiev, the capital city. In fact, the 20-year-old Nigerian had never heard of Ukraine, a former republic of the long fallen Soviet Union, until she considered attending a medical school in Ghana.

As Oladejo was deciding whether to attend the school, she learned through friends of her mother's that the professors who would teach her there had studied in the Ukraine during the Soviet era.

"I was told, 'Why do I have to go to Ghana and study when the lecturers who will be teaching me studied in the former Soviet Union,'" Oladejo recalls. "So instead of going to [Ghana] and learning from them, why don't I just go to the Soviet Union and learn from the source?"

Oledejo is one of 5,000 African students currently matriculating in universities across Ukraine, according to the African Center, a non-governmental organization which tracks racial discrimination against Africans as well as their migration patterns in the country. But the history of Africans studying in Ukraine and other former Soviet countries dates back as early as the 1920s.

The Soviet government began aggressively recruiting Africans and financing their studies in the Soviet Union in 1957, which happens to be the same year as Ghana's Independence.

Maxim Matusevich, director of the Russian and East European Studies Program at Seton Hall University and an expert on African/post-Soviet relations, says that this is no coincidence. "It is clear that at the time of decolonization [in Africa], the Soviets were trying to promote their positive image in the Third World, in large part to counterbalance anti-Soviet Western propaganda," says Matusevich.

But when communism ended in 1991, the recruiting of African students and the generous scholarships that were offered to them came to a screeching halt. While Ukraine no longer offers the financial incentives it once did during communism, it's still an appealing country for students like Oladejo.

For one, it's easier for Africans to get a Ukrainian visa than one from a European country. Tuition and fees at a Ukrainian university are also much lighter on the wallet than an institution in Britain or the United States. However, the financial and logistical advantages of matriculating in Ukraine aren't without their social challenges.

The collapse of the Soviet Union signaled the end of the Cold War. However, a new struggle with racial discrimination soon followed. Rising xenophobic and anti-immigration attitudes across the region began to rise, particularly in Russia and Ukraine. Skinhead attacks against immigrants, especially Africans, grew in number year after year. The fall of communism forced former Soviet countries into economic depressions, a fact that Matusevich says left the region ripe for the rise of anti-immigrant and xenophobic sentiment.

"The press and populace at large found Africans and other representatives of the developing world residing in post-Soviet Russia [and Ukraine] to be easy scapegoats for the country's economic woes," he says. "They were routinely blamed for "sponging" on the USSR and thus accelerating its decline."

In 2007, eight racially motivated murders occurred in Ukraine, according to the African Center. The murders continued into 2008 and into this year with some of the victims being African students. However, such incidents have ebbed as of late. To Ukraine's credit, the national parliament recently passed anti-racism legislation and heads of African NGOs that track racial incidents say violent attacks have dropped significantly.

Surprisingly, many students say they had no prior knowledge of Ukraine's xenophobia issues before arriving. One common complaint is that of being accosted with racial slurs and other demeaning language by Ukrainian youths on the streets.

Joshua Moses, a 21-year-old medical student from Akwanga, Nigeria, was offered a scholarship by the Nigerian government to study medicine in Ukraine. He hasn't been physically abused and generally enjoys living here although it's not uncommon for Moses and his African classmates to be called "monkey" and other names while walking around the capital. His response? "I just look at them and laugh because they know not what they do," says Moses, borrowing a line from Jesus.

Nasir Abubakar, also a medical student from Nigeria, can't recall experiencing any blatant racism during his two years here. But Abubakar, 21, admits the stares and giggles he gets from Ukrainians while walking on the street, many of whom may have never seen or had contact with a black person before, do make him a bit uncomfortable.
Yet despite the social challenges Moses and Abubakar experience, they appreciate the opportunity to live in Ukraine and praise its "high quality, low cost academic programs."

In fact, Moses says he and his parents consider it an honor for him to have been offered a scholarship to study in Ukraine. He simply asks his parents to join him in seeking help from above to avoid any challenges he might face while completing his studies.

"I came here and told them how the country was, but I told them all I need are prayers," says Moses. "So I guess their prayers are doing good."

Source: http://www.thegrio.com/2009/12/africans-find-unlikely-education-at-ukraine-universities.php

What do you all think about this article?
Re: ffff by mamagee3(f): 3:00am On Dec 15, 2009
This is getting rebellious. angry angry
Why are Nigerians targeted
? angry
Re: ffff by backspade(m): 4:49am On Dec 15, 2009
Racist attacks in the Ukraine have gone down drastically since this thread was made. I tried to post an article talking about it, but the spambot banned my account. . . angry
Re: ffff by DisGuy: 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2009
^^
it has been reported to the admin
Re: ffff by suxes2005(m): 5:13pm On Dec 15, 2009
This is serious. But why is it so?

SHALOM
Re: ffff by backspade(m): 7:54am On Dec 16, 2009
Dis Guy:

^^
it has been reported to the admin

Thanks.
Re: ffff by suxes2005(m): 1:11pm On Dec 16, 2009
@blackspade: Did u get my last msg?? Plz I nid 2 talk 2 u n its urgent

SHALOM

(1) (Reply)

My Experience on my First visit To Port Harcourt / Will You Rather Get Another African Country Passport / Living In Kuje, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.