Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,297 members, 7,829,690 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

What Justifies A Free, Fair, And Credible Election? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Justifies A Free, Fair, And Credible Election? (458 Views)

Edo Election: Buhari Has Fulfilled His Promise For Free & Fair Election- Amaechi / Halliburton: Fayose Justifies Claim Of Buhari Wife’s Involvement! Pictures / FG Justifies Buhari’s Foreign Trips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Justifies A Free, Fair, And Credible Election? by Adesege(m): 10:06am On Mar 31, 2015
What justifies a free, fair, and credible election?

How does one explain the just concluded presidential election is free, fair, and credible?

No! Don't say 'cos there was no violence. That doesn't justify it. Or 'cos there was no rigging. Raises an eybrow, that doesn't either. Then what? Let's analyze some facts here.

1. While the results were being released at slow pace, some sections have begun to protest and reject the outcome of the election in some states. The APC in Ogun State had said the result was not what they expected in some LGAs in the state. The APC chapter in Rivers has rejected the result also. Likewise the ruling party in Osun has rejected the outcome of the election. Though the two major parties, APC and PDP, are at loggerheads over the result in the state. Some people argued maybe the party chieftains in the agrieved parties were expecting a favorable result in the state or LGA where they lose judging from the number of their party loyalists that live there or their acceptability there. I disagreed with them 'cos in my words "the fact that everyone laugh, dine and wine with me does not stipulate the certitude that i'm being loved by all. Bottom line is, even majority of them may not like me." In the aforementioned states, there were no records of irregularities expect in Rivers where there was a controversy.

2. After the incumbent President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria was declared winner in 2011, Mr. President also declared the election free, fair and credible. Even the international communities agreed to it. Fast track to 2015, from all indications, Mr. President is facing the stiffest opposition but let's look at it from these two ways.
a. If Mr. Buhari wins the election, what happens to the trust Mr. Jonathan has imposed on Mr. Jega? It's evident that some quarters of the ruling party would not accept the outcome of the election and automatically the PDP may declare the election as not free, fair and credible.
b. If Mr. Jonathan wins, there'll surely be uproar in the country 'cos no one expects Mr. President to win but does that mean he cannot win? In Nigeria Politics, nothing is impossible.

What then really justifies a free, fair and credible election?

3. The controversial DG of Mr. President's campaign made a controversy statement by saying that the PDP has won in 23 states without a proof of backing. This is outrageous and criminal cos that may create a false intent among the party loyalists and if the PDP does not eventually wins, maybe i'll be in a neighbouring country to hear the remaining story or somewhere underground. But bottomline is, how does Mr. Fani Kayode knows that the PDP is wining aside from the claim he made that he got it through their party agents across the country which is vague, ambiguous, amorphous, bewildering, doubtful, dubious and amphibological?

To me, nothing justifies a free, fair and credible election. My deductions: if the person expected to win wins, then it is free and fair. If otherwise, there is a foul play.

God bless Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Won Ebonyi State / Fayose ‘salutes’ Buhari, Accepts Poll Results Read More At: Http://www.thecable / In One Word Describe This Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.