Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

The Nigerian People's Revolution. My Open Letter To General Muhammadu Buhari - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Nigerian People's Revolution. My Open Letter To General Muhammadu Buhari (661 Views)

Meet General Muhammadu Buhari Look Alike / President Obama Delivers Message T The Nigerian People. / My Open Letter To IKEDC (NEPA @ Ikeja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian People's Revolution. My Open Letter To General Muhammadu Buhari by rexoluj(m): 5:45pm On Apr 01, 2015
Dear President-Elect,

To kick off, I congratulate the Nigerian people who have chosen to take hold of their fate, the ultimate winners of the election. I congratulate President Jonathan for the grace he has shown in defeat. In truth the President is a good man personally. He could have reneged on his words, but chose to uphold integrity. I congratulate Professor Jega for birthing a true democratic process in the face of unimaginable pressure. I congratulate General Muhammadu Buhari over his victory, however his race has just started. I congratulate Mr. Bola Tinubu for engineering a platform that matched the ruling PDP.

Now to the crux. Mr. President-elect, when the world witnessed the Arab Spring that commenced in 2011 we marvelled. Albeit violent and bloody, we, especially in Nigeria, concluded immediately that this could never happen in Nigeria. We said that no matter how bad Nigeria is run, the people are docile, love life and would rather eat the crumbs falling off the tables of our callous political class. What we didn't realize then was the power we possessed as a collective if given a free and fair medium by which we could express that power. We got that power through the PVC and card reader technology. It must hence be noted in our history lores that President Goodluck Jonathan gave us that power and we all must be eternally grateful to that statesman. It doesn't matter if we turned against him in your favour, we did so in the interest of Nigeria. What matters is that he, Goodluck Jonathan, let the will of the people prevailed and we must thus start to speak good of the man.

In retrospect, you, sir, must now ask yourself the question: What happened along the way that made President Jonathan, who scored 22million votes in the 2011 elections, lose his popularity and nationwide appeal now? How did a smooth ride get so bumpy? Could it be his PDP Party, their attack dogs and hate campigns? Could the fault be layed at the footstools of people he surrounded himself with, and how non-realistic advisers and non-performers of his Government brought aspersions on his humble and good person? Could it be sabotage or the free reign of corruption in his tenure? Whatever answers you may come up with in your reflections, I am sure you will not be far from "inaction". It is often said that, when good men are not percieved as decisive and proactive they are seen as ineffective.

Basking in the euphoria, which is your right to do so after 4 dogged attempts at offering your leadership and service to a Country you are so passionate about, I would rather advise that now is the time to roll up your sleeves and get to work. The work to be done in Nigeria is on a scale of frightening magnitude and not for men of pleasures, but men of grit. First shall we look at a simple analysis of the recently concluded polls. The outcome shows a Nigeria State has been deeply polarised, subtly if I may, along religious and ethnic lines. This polarisation dampens your victory and any crave for an elongated celebration. Sir, seeing that you couldn't win any state in the South East and South South Geopolitical zones of the country is nothing for your party to be gay about. Likewise, we could also juxtapose by looking at the current President of six years, Goodluck Jonathan and how he hardly made any in-roads into the South West and North Central, save Ekiti and Nassarawa states. And he had no victories in the North East and North West, not like we expected much from him in those zones anyway.

A conclusion could thus beckon the question: Was the President ruling only over the South South and South East, which palpably are his people by tribe. You also sir, even by virtue of the merger that formed the new beast called APC in our political jungle, your victory can still be hinged on your partnership with regional Stalwarts such as Tinubu, Amaechi, Oyegun, Tambuwal, Okorocha etc. Yet you still couldn't win any state in the South South and South East. Suffice to say we are playing ethnic politics. This is not a good sign in leadership acceptability.

What you hence need to do, Sir, as your first effort, is to play the role of a "National Healer". You sir, need to take the pain to re-orientate Nigerians to shelve their religious and ethnic bigotry. You need to heal the wounds that date as far back as 1966. I would suggest you go the route Lee Kuan Yew by banning or ameliorating over-the-top religious indoctrination, proselytic activities and ethnic superiority and favouritism in place of religious tolerance, ethnic unity, intertribal-marriages, meritocracy, good leadership, trust, Government Accountability, equity and justice to all.

To buttress my point, we witnessed how the divisiveness mentioned above held sway during the campaigns. Some went as far as saying you were a member of Boko Haram, ISIS and ISIL. Some said you were a Muslim and that they are Christians, and they feared you to be a Islamic fundamentalist. Some said you were from the North. I was amazed also that many didn't think anything was wrong in Nigeria so long as the status quo remained. And for this reason sir, we fought tooth and nail for you. We responded to these propagandas like we were being paid. Social Media became a war zone and a lot of friends turned against each other. We argued in our little corners on what and who is best for Nigeria. However in the ultimate interest of Nigeria, and since you have been magnanimous in victory, we who voted for you must hence proffer our arms towards our friends and foes (of whatever tribe or religious affiliation) and embrace as one Nigeria. Nigeria won.

Let me cast light on the fact that we didn't vote APC, though their platform was necessary for your victory. We voted You, the people's General. And now that we have realised our new found power in democracy, we would not hesistate to vote you out in 2019 if you fail to deliver. The needs of Nigerians are the same whether in Ijebu Ode, Abakaliki, Onitsha, Sapele, Jalingo, Daura, London or America. We have voted you, to use your iron hands, to set the new rules of righteousness and progress that would guide the new Nigeria to its destined seat in the committee of nations. It can be thus said that what we witnessed in Nigeria is a people's revolution, through the ballot and not violence, as we voted out the tyrants who vowed to rule us for 50 years. Under the sun and under the rain, some of us were bent that the result would not be rigged against you. A sick old man was carried from his hospital bed to vote and then returned to the hospital. An 82 year old woman was seen voting. Reason, because we believe Nigeria should be and can a better place. And the voice of the people became the voice of God.

As we look forward to May 29. As we look forward to a pleasant future set into motion by you and your structures of transformation, we pray with you that your God whom you faithful serve will protect you, keep you in good health and sound mind, surround you with men and women of wisdom and result, a cooperative populace and a repentant and sensible political class.

Personal advice: Do your best in four years and leave the office for younger brains. You will be regarded as our own Mandela.
God bless you, sir. Sai Buhari. God bless Nigeria. The effort was worth it.

By Theo O O

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Strange Disease Kills 14 In Ondo State- Channelstv / See This Photo That Should Remind South Africans How Nigeria Once Saved Them / How Can You Use Selfie Stick With Samsung Note3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.