Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

How To Be A Successful Web-developer - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Be A Successful Web-developer (18380 Views)

12 Tips For Becoming A Successful Web Designer - Kinginvahala / 10 Top Secrets To Become A Successful Blogger / Tips For Creating A Successful Blog/Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 7:04pm On Apr 27, 2015
ogaprime:

Hello sir, nice work...I am a management student (through with university), I have basic computer knowledge, I can operate a computer above 70%. I want to know if I can build a web site. Building website requires learn programming,database, using php etc won't wordpress or other cms require learning programming?? Because I want to build a website for a project...

How can I learn how to build one professionally...

wordpress is just too easy to have worries about.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by arisetayo(m): 8:31pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
While we wait for other lessons,

You can drop your website for review. I will tell you where you going wrong, suggest a better theme or plugin, etc.

Thank u so much,I started blogging almost a year now,am using wordpress,pls review this site for me.Have built up to 3 websites for pple using wordpress am still learning,pls review my site www.tayoobayoriju.com thank u
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ubiquitousade(m): 8:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Thanks guys

LESSON THREE: FINDING THE RIGHT CMS
Most web-developers claim to do their website the hardcore way. Lie. We all use cms

I know lots of cms out there for different purposes. Wont bore you with the full list. You can whatsapp me for one on one 08153973028 , or call 08068280130

Please dont start googling to find them. You can get any cms, themes in the world from www.nulledphp.com (your friends wont even tell you this). And when you contact me, i will just give you link to the exact one to download from there. Infact all other sites that sell or share them, get it from here. They update every day. Yeah!

To get the exact theme you want just search
E.g. business theme and the endless list shows.

USE WISELY.

Next lesson, how to use wordpress professionally, safe and nobody will know.

Great work you are doing, sorry I have to take you back a bit but I will not advise anyone to go for a theme from a nulled website. most are infected with virus and malwares which can be used to hack the site.
Imagine someone giving you something worth $50 without you providing something in return smiley

If you are still gonna go for a nulled theme, scan the file online (i cant remember the actual site but google search can give a clue) and make sure it is malware and virus free.

Also whatever theme you are gonna be using should still be supported by those who built it. A good number of themes have 'expired', although they work.

Am still learning and following.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 9:16pm On Apr 27, 2015
arisetayo:

Thank u so much,I started blogging almost a year now,am using wordpress,pls review this site for me.Have built up to 3 websites for pple using wordpress am still learning,pls review my site www.tayoobayoriju.com thank u

you have a good website. but?

1. that logo is too big. a logo is supoz to be a small .png image. and do not add any info to your header.

2. work on your graphics, use high resolution images and dont merge two photos togeda

3. remove the add on your header. the whole header of your website is occupying my whole screen. try to reduce it.

4. you have so many adds. its discouraging to readers. it will make your website load slowly.

5. since its a blog, use this format.
Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria Upward Review of Annual Practising License Fees
I wish to formally inform you of the resolution adopted at the 5th plenary meeting of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria held on thursday 19th march, 2015 on the upward review of the annual practising license fees....readmore

Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria Upward Review of Annual Practising License Fees
I wish to formally inform you of the resolution adopted at the 5th plenary meeting of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria held on thursday 19th march, 2015 on the upward review of the annual practising license fees. ..readmore

do not set it to display the whole content of the page. it makes a blog boring to read.

6. your side bar, should not only contain adds.

7. you forgot to add achieve list, widget to the side bar.
create post categories too

8. Your footer is bad too
still too large. add there again?
remove this too
Proudly powered by WordPress theme by WP Blogs
from the bottom

I AM RATING THE WEBSITE 3/10. YOU HAVE GOOD CONTENT. PLEASE USE A BETTER THEME.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by seunoni34(m): 9:18pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
Hello reader, am Apele, a civil engineer by profession and web-developer for extra charge.
Am not starting this thread to paste adds or show people that i am successful in web design. I am using it as a medium to reach struggling web-developers like me, so we can help ourselves.

LESSON ONE : HOW TO GET WEB DESIGN JOBS
Its good to post your contacts on nairaland for people to call you. But my guy you might be wasting your time. Based on my experience after pasting my adds on several threads and creating topics over and over again. The only people that call me are fellow web-designers, who just want to fool me and find the cms am using, children that just want to call to say hi, people that promise and promise and never get back to you.

Infact even threads that say "we need a web-designer" are fake. Someone is laughing at the other side watching us drop our contacts. Dont waste your time bros.

You cant find good jobs on the internet, you have to use the old school method. That one helps me better.

It starts with writing a web-proposal of not more than 6 pages.
It should contain
What website is
Importance and why a client should have it
About your company
Works you have done or demos if you are new.
Bill
And contact

If you cant write your proposal, then you not ready. Make the cover as attractive as possible and make several prints of it.

On the deal day, look good and confident, smell nices, etc.

Places to go to
Schools, churches, companies, hotels, etc.

Walk in and ask for their manager and drop your proposal with him.
Your bravery will pay.

Please if you find this thread useful, kindly comment to make me carry on. There are several things i want to show you.

You're on point bro, but for the proposal aspect I think 2 pages is enough. Most companies will rather have you to brief about your proposal when it comes to web/software development.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Sharmeenator(m): 9:20pm On Apr 27, 2015
Many of the so-called web designers in Nigeria today are there cos of the money not the passion. I'm sure most Nigerians web designers can't code from scratch, hence the need for WYSIWYG editor. If you wanna learn web design, please start from a basic understanding of HTML, CSS and go further with JavaScript and PHP. With these knowledge, you will be equip to build a WordPress of your own if you desire. Using CMS make you a lazy designer/developer except you have so many projects at hand.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Charpell(m): 9:21pm On Apr 27, 2015
oapeleo:
While we wait for other lessons,

You can drop your website for review. I will tell you where you going wrong, suggest a better theme or plugin, etc.

Please review my blog, visitors can post comment from the mobile view. whats the problem?
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 9:29pm On Apr 27, 2015
Charpell:

Please review my blog, visitors can post comment from the mobile view. whats the problem?

reviewing charpell.com

its an awesome theme for what you are offering. You need a logo. too much text on header.

your comment if not showing on mobile view, maybe because its too complex.

you can use facebook comment
converts the post comments to facebook comment instead. This wil encourage comments to your post. people dont want to go through the stress of filling in lots of info before commenting. each comments shows on the person who is comment facebook wall. thats a weird way of inviting his friends to your site
DOWNLOAD: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/facebook-comments-plugin.2.3.1.zip
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 9:52pm On Apr 27, 2015
ubiquitousade:

Great work you are doing, sorry I have to take you back a bit but I will not advise anyone to go for a theme from a nulled website. most are infected with virus and malwares which can be used to hack the site.
Imagine someone giving you something worth $50 without you providing something in return smiley

If you are still gonna go for a nulled theme, scan the file online (i cant remember the actual site but google search can give a clue) and make sure it is malware and virus free.

Also whatever theme you are gonna be using should still be supported by those who built it. A good number of themes have 'expired', although they work.

Am still learning and following.

yeah you are right, those themes from the nulled themes sites can be harmful, thanks to my avast antivirus it alerted me to its threats.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 9:59pm On Apr 27, 2015
How to scan a theme before upload

extract the theme zip file to a seperate folder on your pc.
scan the folder for virus.

if any virus is found, take care of it.

zip the folder again

upload to your website

thats how i do mine, if you have other ways. lemme know.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 10:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
please dont forget to join this class online

http://apeledesigns.com/class/topic/want-to-learn-how-to-build-a-website/

if you want to learn how to build websites from novice stage to professional
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Charpell(m): 7:08am On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo1:

reviewing charpell.com

its an awesome theme for what you are offering. You need a logo. too much text on header.

your comment if not showing on mobile view, maybe because its too complex.

you can use facebook comment
converts the post comments to facebook comment instead. This wil encourage comments to your post. people dont want to go through the stress of filling in lots of info before commenting. each comments shows on the person who is comment facebook wall. thats a weird way of inviting his friends to your site
DOWNLOAD: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/facebook-comments-plugin.2.3.1.zip

Sorry the plugin you want me to download is for WordPress, is it OK if I use it for blogger blog?
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Amastermovic(m): 7:41am On Apr 28, 2015
jasmine01s:

i think I have someone that can help with that drop your whatsapp number.

Yeah thanks bro... 07010782777
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 7:44am On Apr 28, 2015
Charpell:

Sorry the plugin you want me to download is for WordPress, is it OK if I use it for blogger blog?

Oh sorry, thought you where using wp.
Not sure i can help you with blogger, havent used it before
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by tohero(m): 7:45am On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo:

business is all about taking risk
grin taking less risks grin

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 8:05am On Apr 28, 2015
For newbies, how to setup a domain name and web host

PAID
How to get a webhost on whogohost
1. visit https://www.whogohost.com/hosting/shared-hosting.php
2. For start up, select a cheap plan. i suggest you go for Aspire. its just 3000k yearly.

ASPIRE FEATURES
1GB Webspace,
means that your website has only a 1gig size. See your website like a phone for instance. With just 1g memory card to store images, videos, etc. Every thing you upload to your website will not exceed !gig.

4GB Bandwidth,
The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of within a month. Therefore the amount of bandwidth you have (the bandwidth ‘strength’) determines the efficiency and speed of your internet activity – that is, when you open web pages, download files and so on. it reduces as people visit your site. so if your website is going to be a busy one, you might go for higher plans

Free Domain,
Registering a domain name,

4 Subdomains,
a subdivision of a domain.
if your website domain name is http://www.1123.com
you can make other devisions like
http://www.boy.1123.com
http://www.girl.1123.com
http://www.xyz.1123.com
http://www.forum.1123.com
and each could be different sites with different looks

Unlimited Emails
you can have unlimited customized emails like
admin@1123.com, info@1123.com

To order now click here on a separate tab
https://www.whogohost.com/host/cart.php?a=add&pid=2&sld=&tld=.com.ng

3. register a new domain
type the domain name into the box and select your extension and check availability.
your extension could be any on the drop down, i suggest you take .com. Its unique.
Note: you cant use a domain name that has been used before.
you cant have facebook.com again. so dont try. go for something unique

7 Rules for Choosing the Right Domain Name

Make the Domain Unique
Only Choose Dot-Com Available Domains
Make it Easy to Type
Make it Easy to Remember
Keep the Name as Short as Possible
Avoid Copyright Infringement
Reject Hyphens and Numbers

4, checking availability

if it is available. you will have anoption to select the amount you want to pay and duration. It now shows 2k yearly

dont select anyother extension
and click continue

5, Choosee your billing plan.
make sure N3,000.00 Annually (Free Domain) is selected

6, Available Addons
they are there for a reason. selecting any will increase the amount

7, checkout
right handside

8, update cart

9, put in your details under new customer. correct details please. And you should know your zip code. if not, google it. i found mine that way. “zip code for benin city”. if you are not on cloudflare, leave that column empty.

10, if you dont have a promotion code. leave empty. Select the payment method

11, tick I have read and agree to the Terms of Service

12, complete order

13, Print the invoice that delays next

if you selected direct bank payment.
Account Name: WhoGoHost Limited
Account No: 0114023729
Bank: Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB)
OR
Account No: 1013173318
Bank: Zenith Bank

Once your payment is made, they will process your order within 24 hours and send you a confirmation email.
Reference Number: 12324

After payment send, send your payment details,
Time, teller number, etc to billing@whogohost.com

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 8:09am On Apr 28, 2015
FREE

Getting a free webhost without paying anything
but its going to be a subdomain and not cool.

its advisable for training purpose.
visit http://www.hostinger.co.uk/ for one.
it requires you to login with facebook
your website will be 1123.hostinger.co.uk
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Charpell(m): 8:53am On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo1:

Oh sorry, thought you where using wp.
Not sure i can help you with blogger, havent used it before
Alright thanks
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ogaprime(m): 9:24am On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo1:

wordpress is just too easy to have worries about.

Alright thanks....so what should I do next?? Downloading wordpress or getting wordpress for dummies or go for web classes
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 9:30am On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo1:
For newbies, how to setup a domain name and web host

PAID
How to get a webhost on whogohost
1. visit https://www.whogohost.com/hosting/shared-hosting.php
2. For start up, select a cheap plan. i suggest you go for Aspire. its just 3000k yearly.

ASPIRE FEATURES
1GB Webspace,
means that your website has only a 1gig size. See your website like a phone for instance. With just 1g memory card to store images, videos, etc. Every thing you upload to your website will not exceed !gig.

4GB Bandwidth,
The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of within a month. Therefore the amount of bandwidth you have (the bandwidth ‘strength’) determines the efficiency and speed of your internet activity – that is, when you open web pages, download files and so on. it reduces as people visit your site. so if your website is going to be a busy one, you might go for higher plans

Free Domain,
Registering a domain name,

4 Subdomains,
a subdivision of a domain.
if your website domain name is http://www.1123.com
you can make other devisions like
http://www.boy.1123.com
http://www.girl.1123.com
http://www.xyz.1123.com
http://www.forum.1123.com
and each could be different sites with different looks

Unlimited Emails
you can have unlimited customized emails like
admin@1123.com, info@1123.com

To order now click here on a separate tab
https://www.whogohost.com/host/cart.php?a=add&pid=2&sld=&tld=.com.ng

3. register a new domain
type the domain name into the box and select your extension and check availability.
your extension could be any on the drop down, i suggest you take .com. Its unique.
Note: you cant use a domain name that has been used before.
you cant have facebook.com again. so dont try. go for something unique

7 Rules for Choosing the Right Domain Name

Make the Domain Unique
Only Choose Dot-Com Available Domains
Make it Easy to Type
Make it Easy to Remember
Keep the Name as Short as Possible
Avoid Copyright Infringement
Reject Hyphens and Numbers

4, checking availability

if it is available. you will have anoption to select the amount you want to pay and duration. It now shows 2k yearly

dont select anyother extension
and click continue

5, Choosee your billing plan.
make sure N3,000.00 Annually (Free Domain) is selected

6, Available Addons
they are there for a reason. selecting any will increase the amount

7, checkout
right handside

8, update cart

9, put in your details under new customer. correct details please. And you should know your zip code. if not, google it. i found mine that way. “zip code for benin city”. if you are not on cloudflare, leave that column empty.

10, if you dont have a promotion code. leave empty. Select the payment method

11, tick I have read and agree to the Terms of Service

12, complete order

13, Print the invoice that delays next

if you selected direct bank payment.
Account Name: WhoGoHost Limited
Account No: 0114023729
Bank: Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB)
OR
Account No: 1013173318
Bank: Zenith Bank

Once your payment is made, they will process your order within 24 hours and send you a confirmation email.
Reference Number: 12324

After payment send, send your payment details,
Time, teller number, etc to billing@whogohost.com

op how credible is whogohost.com? have you hosted on their platform before?
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 10:17am On Apr 28, 2015
ritzytbabs:

op how credible is whogohost.com? have you hosted on their platform before?

i havent had problem with them yet. i have hosted 3 sites with them
they partner with jumia, jobberman, gtbank, ekiti state government, ui, national university commision,
i guess they have a good reputation.

add they have online chat service, so you can talk to their customer care agent when you have problems.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 10:27am On Apr 28, 2015
ogaprime:

Alright thanks....so what should I do next?? Downloading wordpress or getting wordpress for dummies or go for web classes

you can join our class here. we are going in stages

http://apeledesigns.com/class/topic/want-to-learn-how-to-build-a-website/
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 11:06am On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo1:

i havent had problem with them yet. i have hosted 3 sites with them
they partner with jumia, jobberman, gtbank, ekiti state government, ui, national university commision,
i guess they have a good reputation.

add they have online chat service, so you can talk to their customer care agent when you have problems.

thanks much i'll give em a try, will host my next project with them.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 11:36am On Apr 28, 2015
steps to get a free web-host using hostinger (for training purpose)

1. Visit http://www.hostinger.co.uk/order
2. Register with facebook or google plus.
Do not fill in the registration form. Its faulty.
You will receive this
“Hostinger United Kingdom will receive the following info: your public profile and email address”
click ok and wait.
3. You will be redirected to your dasboard.
4. Under select hosting plan, order for free web-host
5. Enter your domain name and password
Choose a Domain Type: Subdomain
Subdomain: Tyoe your website name and select any extension
Choose a Server Region* North America (USA)
Insert password and confirm password
Click continue
6. Confirm your order and select i am not a robot.
7. You will redirected to your Hosting account.
8. Wait for 2 minutes, then reload page. Pending turns to active.
9. Check the email you used in registering on facebook. Save your details sent.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 11:59am On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo1:
steps to get a free web-host using hostinger (for training purpose)

1. Visit http://www.hostinger.co.uk/order
2. Register with facebook or google plus.
Do not fill in the registration form. Its faulty.
You will receive this
“Hostinger United Kingdom will receive the following info: your public profile and email address”
click ok and wait.
3. You will be redirected to your dasboard.
4. Under select hosting plan, order for free web-host
5. Enter your domain name and password
Choose a Domain Type: Subdomain
Subdomain: Tyoe your website name and select any extension
Choose a Server Region* North America (USA)
Insert password and confirm password
Click continue
6. Confirm your order and select i am not a robot.
7. You will redirected to your Hosting account.
8. Wait for 2 minutes, then reload page. Pending turns to active.
9. Check the email you used in registering on facebook. Save your details sent.

thanks for sharing this op, exactly what i need to practice.

you doing a great job here, practice in session....just registered a domain name with my gmail account. got the registration details, logged into the cpanel but seems it will take up to 48hrs for the domain to be set up.

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by chuksmad(m): 3:22pm On Apr 28, 2015
oapeleo:
THE TUTORIAL ABOVE WAS FOR CREATING FORUMS USING WORDPRESS
If you want to view it with image guide, which will be more descriptive, click link below:
http://apeledesigns.com/class/topic/creating-a-professional-blog-from-scratch/
Thank you for your kindness. Can u use wordpress to design an automobile company website or oil and gas website
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 3:46pm On Apr 28, 2015
chuksmad:

Thank you for your kindness. Can u use wordpress to design an automobile company website or oil and gas website

yeah you can, its the theme used on the wordpress that matters...check out themesforest website for themes with relevance to those industries you mentioned.
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by oapeleo1: 3:56pm On Apr 28, 2015
chuksmad:

Check out this theme
www.themeforest.net/item/auto-dealer-car-dealer-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/6745337

Download
www30.zippyshare.com/d/Sl1OwgHf/216288/autodealer19.rar
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 4:15pm On Apr 30, 2015
suggestion pls.....i need a wordpress theme that would suit developing a microfinance bank site
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 30, 2015
ritzytbabs:
suggestion pls.....i need a wordpress theme that would suit developing a microfinance bank site

sorry i pasted direct links for you to download some themes.
but the post was deleted and my account blocked.

Hope am not offending anyone?
Re: How To Be A Successful Web-developer by ritzytbabs(m): 11:03pm On Apr 30, 2015
oapeleo:

sorry i pasted direct links for you to download some themes.
but the post was deleted and my account blocked.

Hope am not offending anyone?

nah you aint offending nobody, i understand......you could try sending it via pm tho. thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Controvesial Queen: Adeola Diadem Best Buddy Kwinrach Partied In Bikini / How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking / Instagram Sorry For Adding 'Terrorist' To Some Palestinian User Bios

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.