Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,010 members, 7,953,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:15 AM

The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” (2233 Views)

5 Ways To Answer The Interview Question, "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" / How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process / These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by CVWizards(m): 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2015
It's the question that sets the tone. When interviewers open this way you have the ball in your court pretty quickly. You can use the opportunity to frame how they see you and convey important qualities representing your unique fit for the position. You have a chance to start your conversation by painting a picture of how you would perform—and even excel— as an associate. What will you say?

This is an important question for you to have practiced. More importantly, it's a question you should have considered as it uniquely pertains to this organization and this position. If you're taking your job search seriously, the answer to this question likely emphasizes different qualities depending on what you know about the culture or the needs specific to this particular job. Are you ready?

Telling about you should be fun; because it needs to be enjoyable to hear. Don't assume this question was asked for a particular reason or that the interviewer is expecting a particular response. The interviewer may have a strategic reason, but it's just as likely an icebreaker. The more interesting you are, the more memorable you will be. In addition, if you plan your response well , you may event set the stage for follow up questions that play to your strengths. Why wouldn't you try?

How you respond and what you focus on depends on your qualifications and the burning needs you suspect are imminent. Once you have an idea what these things are, craft a response that allows you to get to these things right away. There are hundreds of things you can say about you. Don't. Zero in on the traits that would matter Monday morning if you started next week. Add a dash of the special skills you have that would help you elevate the role or slay a killer problem in the next few weeks or months. Conclude with a personality trait or preference that affiliates you with the cultural values or organizations' mission.

Resist the urge to start with college (or your childhood) and then walk through your resume. If your resume is already in hand, the interviewer should have reviewed it already. Even if she hasn't, it's there for her to peruse later. Your time is better spent painting the picture, zeroing in on key information and adding information that makes you memorable for and compatible to the position. One thing you can be sure of is that the interviewer will only remember certain things about each candidate. If nothing else, it's not a bad thing if you are remembered as interesting, easy to talk to and keenly aware of how you would be an immediate asset to the role. That's all you need to convey. Everything else is clutter.

This is difficult for us because it feels too casual and lacks direction. It also is true that we tend to be our favorite subjects. But for an interview, the worst way to answer this question is with a monologue "in the life of me." Limit your response to two or three minutes. Know in advance what you need to say and stick to your plan. When you have achieved your mission, smile and wait. Allow the room to be silent. Be confident in your response and let go.

Read more at: http://cvwizards.com.ng/answering-the-interview-question-tell-me-about-yourself/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by Etizz: 6:19pm On Apr 02, 2015
Nai I dey talk rubbish since so... Thank u very much... I have taken a big correction I will never fail... Thanks again.....
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by siegfried99(m): 7:11pm On Apr 02, 2015
cheesy
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by CVWizards(m): 7:47pm On Apr 02, 2015
You're welcome!
Etizz:
Nai I dey talk rubbish since so... Thank u very much... I have taken a big correction I will never fail... Thanks again.....
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by willi926(m): 8:20pm On Apr 02, 2015
thank you very much for this info
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by CVWizards(m): 5:23am On Apr 03, 2015
You're welcome.
willi926:
thank you very much for this info
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by yomalex(m): 5:53am On Apr 03, 2015
That's good
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by CVWizards(m): 7:00am On Apr 03, 2015
yomalex:
That's good
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by CVWizards(m): 7:55am On Apr 05, 2015
Re: The Interview Opener: “tell Me About Yourself” by CVWizards(m): 9:00am On Apr 23, 2015
Thanks.
yomalex:
That's good

(1) (Reply)

Invite.... THLD International Logistics Ltd......real Or Fake Pls / GRADUATES IN EDO; Lets Discuss Business Is / Galaxy Lottery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.