Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,145 members, 7,815,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Obama Hails Iran Nuclear Agreement, Says Its 'historic' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Hails Iran Nuclear Agreement, Says Its 'historic' (652 Views)

Buhari Signs Paris Agreement;Says 9ja Will Reverse Effects Of Climate Change(Pix / Israel Wanted To Attack Iran's Nuclear Facilities But Backed Away REUTERS / Fani-kayode Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Alleged Threat To Igbos, Says Its Ominious An (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Hails Iran Nuclear Agreement, Says Its 'historic' by shift15(m): 11:31am On Apr 03, 2015
President Barack Obama has praised a framework nuclear agreement with Iran as "historic," saying if fully implemented it will make the world safer and cut off Tehran's path to a bomb.

The deal reached Thursday between Iran and six world powers followed eight days of intensive talks in Lausanne, Switzerland, and sets the stage for a final agreement to be completed by June 30.

Speaking from the White House, President Obama heralded the agreement as "a good deal that meets our core objectives."

"This framework would cut off every pathway that Iran could take to develop a nuclear weapon. Iran will face strict limitations on its program, and Iran has also agreed to the most robust and intrusive inspections and transparency regime ever negotiated for any nuclear program in history," he said.

The deal also received praise in Tehran, where hundreds of Iranians took to the streets, honking their car horns and waving flags, amid fresh hopes the country's international isolation would soon end.

Under the deal, Iran will receive relief from international sanctions in exchange for cutting back its uranium enrichment program, which the West has long feared could be used to make a nuclear weapon.

Iran's breakout time, the minimum amount required to produce a nuclear bomb, will be extended "to at least one year, for a duration of 10 years," according to a U.S. fact sheet. The breakout time is currently estimated to be two to three months.

Tehran also agreed to reduce by about two-thirds the amount of its installed uranium enrichment centrifuges. "Iran will go from having about 19,000 installed today to 6,104 installed under the deal, with only 5,060 of these enriching uranium for 10 years," according to the fact sheet.

The deal requires Iran to neutralize much of its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. U.N. nuclear inspections will be boosted. The Fordo underground nuclear facility will be converted so that it cannot enrich uranium. Iran also agreed to redesign its Arak reactor to not produce weapons-grade plutonium.

This week's negotiations lasted two days longer than originally planned, casting doubt on whether an agreement could be reached. Even after the deal, signs emerged suggesting that a final, comprehensive pact would be difficult to clinch.

Late Thursday, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif complained about the U.S. issuing its own summary of the agreement. "The solutions are good for all, as they stand. There is no need to spin using 'fact sheets' so early on," he said via Twitter.

President Obama also stressed that many key details of the deal will be finalized over the next three months, saying "nothing is agreed to until everything is agreed." He also warned that "if Iran violates the deal, sanctions can be snapped back into place."

Obama also used his White House Rose Garden speech to lash out at his critics in Congress who are opposed to the deal.

"The issues at stake here are bigger than politics," he said. "These are matters of war and peace, and they should be evaluated based on the facts and what is ultimately best for the American people and for our national security," he said.

Republican lawmakers have repeatedly threatened to pass new sanctions against Iran, a move Iran says would kill any deal. If this happens, Obama said, "then it's the United States that will be blamed for the failure of diplomacy."

The president also said he spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is one of the biggest opponents of the nuclear talks. White House officials say Obama told Netanyahu that significant progress was made in cutting off Iran's path to a bomb. Israeli officials say the prime minister told the U.S. leader that the deal would "threaten the survival of Israel."

Iran has repeatedly said that it is not interested in building a nuclear bomb, and the country's Islamic leaders have issued rulings banning such weapons. But the moves have been unable to persuade Western critics who say certain elements of Iran's nuclear program have no clear non-weapons-related utility.

http://believeafrica.net/obama-hails-iran-nuclear-agreement-says-its-historic-p436-105.htm
Re: Obama Hails Iran Nuclear Agreement, Says Its 'historic' by wordcat(m): 12:25pm On Apr 03, 2015
googlepikin:
I was on a bike yesterday and the Abokii guy asked me who did I vote for, buhari or GEJ , I said buhari. I asked him who is he going to vote for in Lagos governorship election, he said all okada association and northerners have had a meeting that they can't be deceive by APC for the third time. that they have agreed to vote for JIMI AGBAJE. it's amazing that Lagos state presidential vote was 700 and something to 600 and something thousand mind you half of those who voted for buhari have plans to vote for JIMI AGBAJE. So imagine the North, SS and SE voting for JIMI AGBAJE in dis kinda free and fair elections, then I'm sorry for tinubu , fashola and co. there will be shock in Lagos state in few days time.1,000,000 vote for JIMI AGBAJE dis coming election. am pleading to all Northerners , southerners and Easterners to come out in our millions to vote for the rightful man for Lagos state. let's all vote for JIMI AGBAJE because he's the right man. LIKE IF YOU WILL VOTE FOR JIMI AGBAJE and share if you will vote for ambode.

So abokki is the one now tutoring u on whom to vote?

Sorry
Re: Obama Hails Iran Nuclear Agreement, Says Its 'historic' by Volksfuhrer(m): 1:18pm On Apr 03, 2015
googlepikin:
I was on a bike yesterday and the Abokii guy asked me who did I vote for, buhari or GEJ , I said buhari. I asked him who is he going to vote for in Lagos governorship election, he said all okada association and northerners have had a meeting that they can't be deceive by APC for the third time. that they have agreed to vote for JIMI AGBAJE. it's amazing that Lagos state presidential vote was 700 and something to 600 and something thousand mind you half of those who voted for buhari have plans to vote for JIMI AGBAJE. So imagine the North, SS and SE voting for JIMI AGBAJE in dis kinda free and fair elections, then I'm sorry for tinubu , fashola and co. there will be shock in Lagos state in few days time.1,000,000 vote for JIMI AGBAJE dis coming election. am pleading to all Northerners , southerners and Easterners to come out in our millions to vote for the rightful man for Lagos state. let's all vote for JIMI AGBAJE because he's the right man. LIKE IF YOU WILL VOTE FOR JIMI AGBAJE and share if you will vote for ambode.

This is the fourth bike you mounted yesterday with the same conversation. You must be a robot!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

If Jonathan Had Won / Samuel Ortom Of APC Is Favoured To Win Benue Guber Election / A Mass Protest Against Law Makers Outrageous Take Home Pay.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.