Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU (15360 Views)

Some Top 10 Hollywood Horror Movies Cliché© / Ladies Of TV Drama Slay On The Cover Of The Hollywood Reporter / The Producers Of Ojuju Announce Their Next Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 16, 2015
Ok
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by fyneboi79(m): 8:02am On Apr 16, 2015
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ZUBY77(m): 8:06am On Apr 16, 2015
Cool, prepare for Global Runs.. Coming soon... On screen.
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ascend: 8:15am On Apr 16, 2015
all these film wey their advert dey sweet pass the film so. Na so africa magic advertise mirror boy, figurine, last flight to abj and others... tire. When u watch the film, you go tire before u reach the end.

Am not condemning their work o, but sometime when i rewatch films like ijele, igodo, sango and others with african rooted stories that were shot with vhs camera. You go enjoy am pass some of these overpromated film shot on high budjet with HD.
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 16, 2015
idprincess:
lol thanks for the vote of confidence
Ok...lemme get the link and download the movie.... Perhaps! You'll also have my 100% vote of confidence!... Whatcha say?
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by vikeyz(m): 8:24am On Apr 16, 2015
Never underestimate the power of positive thinking
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by 1miccza: 8:35am On Apr 16, 2015
Op this is goodnews!! The first horror movie from nigeria?How do i get my copy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Z8(m): 8:58am On Apr 16, 2015
I am proud to say I saw this when it was just an early trailer and I knew it was going to do well. Congrats creative Nigerian minds making me proud.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Z8(m): 8:59am On Apr 16, 2015
idprincess:
Okay, this is huge. We had to get out from the post production studio for my upcoming film to announce this awesome news!

OJUJU gets an awesome review by the Hollywood Reporter...yes, the Hollywood Reporter...

Once again we want to thank our glorious and steadfast cast and crew for this unending success story of perseverance....

www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/ojuju-film-review-786039?mobile_redirect=false

Here is the review:

C.J. "Fiery" Obasi's Nigerian zombie flick brings the familiar undead creatures to a new and exotic setting.

Considering the massive output of the Nollywood film industry, it was probably inevitable that it would eventually get around to appropriating that most familiar of Hollywood tropes, the zombie film. The result is this horror film directed and written by the marvelously named C.J. "Fiery" Obasi which brings the flesh-eating creatures to a Nigerian slum. Winner of the Best Nigerian Movie award at last year's African International Film Festival, Ojuju was recently showcased at the Brooklyn Academy of Music's New Voices in Black Cinema.

Obasi, whose IMDb bio states that he grew up watching Hammer horror films and reading Stephen King novels, clearly has an affinity for the subject matter. Although made on an obviously miniscule budget, this enterprising genre pic is very well crafted. Infused with both sly humor and genuine thrills, it puts many similarly themed American efforts to shame, with the exoticism of its setting only adding to the overall effect.

Set in a teeming Lagos slum, it provides an all-too-realistic explanation for the sudden transformation of its inhabitants into desiccated figures with an appetite for human flesh: It's the result of a contaminated water supply, which is certainly a problem endemic to the African nation.

Among those first affected is local drug dealer Fela (Chidozie Nzeribe), who gets bitten early on and suffers the predictable ill consequences as a result.

"If Fela won't smoke weed, then the situation is really serious," one of his friends worriedly comments.

The film's hero is Romero (a charismatic Gabriel Afolayan) — the name's inspiration is obvious — who, much to his horror, discovers that his pregnant girlfriend has become infected. Along with his friends Emmy (Kelechi Udegbe) and Peju (Omowunmi Dada), he desperately searches for a solution to the situation while trying to stay alive in the process.

"They've all turned ojuju," a character declares in the film in which the word "zombie" is never uttered.

Necessarily limited in terms of special effects and creature makeup — it's no surprise that the ojuju are initially mistaken for simply being drunk — Ojuju overcomes its technical limitations with well-drawn characters and pungently compelling situations. It certainly indicates that its talented filmmaker, whose sole previous effort was the voodoo-themed Jim & Joan, is eminently capable of moving on to bigger and better things.

Production company: Fiery Film Company
Cast: Gabriel Afolayan, Omowunmi Dada, Kelechi Udegbe, Chidozie Nazeribe, Brutus Rihard
Director-screenwriter-editor: C.J. "Fiery" Obasi
Producers: Oge Ugwu, C.J. "Fiery" Obasi
Director of photography: Tunji Akinsehinwa
Production designer: Victor Akpan
Composers: Beatoven, Wache Pollen

Ojuju Trailer:
https://www.nairaland.com/1851753/ojuju-movie-trailer-c.j-obasi

Is this finally out ?
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by fpeter(f): 9:09am On Apr 16, 2015
WHERE IS OKIJA JUJU?
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by slap1(m): 9:10am On Apr 16, 2015
silvermania:
looks or types?
The movie poster, not the OP.
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 16, 2015
idprincess

So may I know who your audience is, Oyinbos or Africans?
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by justmenoni: 9:20am On Apr 16, 2015
@op i don't know much about movies ooo shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin but na beg i wan beg u oo,i beg can u use the music/s from airforce1 as your soundtrack cos as u might already know that airforce1 in all ramifications is the best musician not only in/on nairaland but in the whole wide world grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by CyberTerrorist: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2015
And Igbos keep moving forward cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by solutionist: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2015
Impressive.

Finally. A breath of fresh air coming into the Nigerian movie industry.

And coming from two of Nigeria's best.

One of whom is - perhaps - Nigeria's most under-celebrated movie filmmaker and producer -Oge Ugwu.

Kindly, do a bit of research on this woman - what you'd discover is that she's got one of the most staggering portfolio in the Nigeria Film industry.

She's been instrumental to the production of major Nigerian classics and blockbusters such as "Figurine", "October 1", "Apostate", etc.

How she manages to go relatively unsung beats me willy.

And of course, no better individual to team up with, than her husband, CJ Obasi.

All I can say is this;

Oge and CJ - the world is your oyster.

See you guys at the top!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ifyalways(f): 10:12am On Apr 16, 2015
Idprincess, thumbs up girl.

I am happy for you, this is just the beginining. Go gurlie cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ghostwritter(m): 10:23am On Apr 16, 2015
They had better be fast in releasing d movie before it strangely enters Alaba Market. I dey wait for d pirated copy.
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Orikinla(m): 10:30am On Apr 16, 2015
We saw it coming.
Good review in the major Hollywood Reporter is like getting a book review in The New York Times.
When NOLLYWOOD MIRROR® series selected 'Ojuju" as one of the best movies of 2014, many movie buffs in Nollywood were ignorant of it.
When one of the foremost Nigerian film critics and writers named C.J. Obasi as a daring filmmaker in 2012 after seeing his debut movie "Jim & Joan" screened as the Closing Film at the Eko International Film Festival in November 2012, majority of people were laughing in their ignorance of his genius.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Sodiumdawg: 10:33am On Apr 16, 2015
MAKE I TOK AM?

OK.....

Notice that this is a collaboration among forward thinking people from SW, SE, and SS Zones of Nigeria.

Forget the politicians and their e - dogs!

We're good together!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by AudreyI(f): 10:59am On Apr 16, 2015
Congrats girl! Wish you and hubby more successes ahead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 16, 2015
AudreyI:
Congrats girl! Wish you and hubby more successes ahead.
Many thanks. Please buzz me, been looking for your contact.
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by ijecks(f): 12:18pm On Apr 16, 2015
wow, nice one
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Lildreezy(m): 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
ifuennada:
CJ is a one of a kind director! His passion for the job motivates you as much as his skills and knowledge! His producer, Oge Ugwu (who's also his wife) is also an amazing woman. These guys care for everyone on their team...! I'm really anticipating their next feature film O-town, but let's not take the attention away from Ojuju! Ojuju is the best Nigerian film I've seen so far!...and I'm not exaggerating...

Ifu Ennada

yea yea...
u said everything I wanted to say....

BTW nice Dp u've got there..
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Thayay(m): 2:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
Hoping to watch this movie and October 1st.... Especially that October 1st, that guy called kunle afolayan is so much talented
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by Svelteb(f): 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2015
boolet:
grin which of the Ojujus, Calabar? grin
no oo, ojuju otueke cheesy
Re: The Hollywood Reporter Writes About OJUJU by AudreyI(f): 11:56pm On Apr 19, 2015
idprincess:
Many thanks. Please buzz me, been looking for your contact.
I haven't been on nairaland for a while. Just saw this, so sorry about that. I'll call you tomorrow.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BbTitans: Miracle OP Kissing Khosi Last Night (Video) / #BBNaija Alex Emerges As New Head Of House / Project Strongest States In Nigeria TV Show: Photos Of Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.