Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,572 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. (34234 Views)

Crazy Things Women Do To Save Their Marriages / Check Out How Modern Marriages Will Look Like.. So Funny ;d / Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 06, 2015
Elxandre:

Anyways, the main reason marriages no longer last is mostly because of awareness and the feminist movement who have taught our formerly unconditionally submissive women into women who are independent and won't endure BS their grandmother endured anymore.
Lol, the bitter truth is that African marriage has never been better.

It's just that our grandmothers had to endure;
1) Bully and Jerk as a husband.

2) Cheaters and heartless men as a husband because of what society would tag them if they divorce and "we" women of 21st century aren't paddling with those archaic view any longer.

The world is fast evolving. Let's preach fairness and equality.
I know that a man is the head but I won't accept bullshìt from him.

1 Like

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by ayobase(m): 9:55am On Apr 06, 2015
obowunmi:
I don't know anything about love or marriage whether arranged or otherwise. What I know is that just pray.

People these days are devils disguised in human form. Prayer is the answer, prayer is the master key. marry someone who genuinely loves God and make sure you get confirmation from God before you marry.

There's nothing more painful and sorrowful than marrying the wrong person.

I'm so afraid. The things my eyes has seen. It's crazy.

this your moniker aligns not with your personality.

I have been seeing your comments on threads, mostly commendable I must say.
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 06, 2015
zicoraads:
Isn't it too early? cheesy
Good day, Zico. tongue
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Elxandre(m): 9:57am On Apr 06, 2015
VenusBetty:
there's more to marriage, love is not enough
Love doesn't exist, I tell people.
Just strong likeness and infatuations smiley
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by BizBloke(m): 9:59am On Apr 06, 2015
5minsmadness:

Let me open up a little bit here.
I've been in several relationships where I thought I was in love with the person and she loved me as well. But I usually end up discovering they are after me for the financial security they will get. Not love. They are usually in it for what I can do for them, what I can provide. And the moment I withdraw such favours their eyes start to wander.
I'm not interested in all the pretence.
I'd rather have a woman I'm readily compatible with, someone from a good family who knows what it is to be and act like a lady. Someone who won't fall instantly in love with me cos I came to pick her in a jeep. All those things are fleeting and won't last. I'd rather have a woman who respects me for me and has all the features I want in terms of a good wife and mother.
I don't need to be madly in love with her, just know that she has all the good features I need.
The 'head over heels in love' thing can come after.

I agree with the highlighted.

Beht, this arranged marriages, I no gree o. I think you [we] should match it up with the current age. Question is, 'How many arranged marriages in the 21st century have worked in comparison to the opposite?

1 Like

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:00am On Apr 06, 2015
njuwo:
Yes, but still, it's a man's world. You can't call a she without a he in it. Things women go through, there are men in it, menstruation, menstrual pain, menstrual flow, menopause.
I didn't see how going through menstrual cramps make me a weaker sex.
Thanks
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 06, 2015
dicefrost:

Our grandmothers did not claim equality with their husbands, they were submissive and recognised their headship
Our grandmothers did not claim Christianity. They practised their African traditional religion.

You can't spoon-pick the culture that favours you and filters other away.

1 Like

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Elxandre(m): 10:03am On Apr 06, 2015
Vickybee:

Lol, the bitter truth is that African marriage has never been better.

It's just that our grandmothers had to endure;
1) Bully and Jerk as a husband.

2) Cheaters and heartless men as a husband because of what society would tag them if they divorce and "we" women of 21st century aren't paddling with those archaic view any longer.

The world is fast evolving. Let's preach fairness and equality.
I know that a man is the head but I won't accept bullshìt from him.
You see what I'm saying!
Feminists have ruined our marriages and have made many single parented. grin

Wait... a feminist just said a man is the head. grin
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by 5minsmadness: 10:03am On Apr 06, 2015
LordReed:

You are underlining certain things I need you to clarify. Do you feel that "modern" woman's empowerment which gives her the opportunity to remove herself from harms way is inferior to what you outlined above? Also how does what you outlined above differ in outcome from a woman simply refusing to put up with the mess?

Even then a woman could remove herself and run back to her father's house. Modern woman 'empowerment' did not change this. I see no inferiority or superiority. It all depended on the woman's(and her family's) resources.

There was definitely more mediation done those days than now. Since it was the family the spouse married and not the individual, the offending spouse was answerable to more people/higher authorities.

Today's modern woman has no patience or perseverance. It's divorce at the drop of a hat.

P. S

The topic is about arranged marriages i.e letting your parents choose a compatible spouse for you and in the process looking out for unsavoury characteristics including violence towards women. The topic is about how our free will in choosing spouses has not in any significant way improved the outcome of modern marriages. I strongly feel you are going off point with the female bashing thing.

1 Like

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 06, 2015
Elxandre:

You see what I'm saying!
Feminists have ruined our marriages and have made many single parented. grin

Wait... a feminist just said a man is the head. grin
Lol..
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by zicoraads: 10:08am On Apr 06, 2015
Vickybee:

Good day, Zico. tongue
Isn't it still too early to be telling me 'good day'? tongue

Top of the morning to you kiss
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 06, 2015
zicoraads:
Isn't it still too early to be telling me 'good day'? tongue

Top of the morning to you kiss
My bad.

Same. Good Morning. smiley
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by synergycom19: 10:17am On Apr 06, 2015
Arrange marriages are more Biblical(tends to survived more because of the GOD factor embedded in that marriage) than Western(modern) marriages
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by synergycom19: 10:20am On Apr 06, 2015
YourCoffin:

Sacred? What is sacred about marriage?

Well I have some respect for it, that's why we should allow it to die a peaceful death...

This is Satanic

1 Like

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 06, 2015
The era of meeting bad girls is over.

Let bad girls marry themselves.
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by fr3do(m): 10:27am On Apr 06, 2015
edwife:
Yea maybe favorable for men but not for women...

Women had no say when or how they will get married,they didn't even see their suppose spouses until wedding day undecided undecided

Neither did the groom see his wife.
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by 5minsmadness: 10:28am On Apr 06, 2015
njuwo:
Your name na 5minsmadness na im make you give only 5 reasons? And na when you dey run the 5 minutes madness you take write them?
You Don dey smoke dat tin again abi?
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 06, 2015
Vickybee:
You forgot to type that our grandfather didn't claim it's a "man world" like the chauvinistic men of these days do.
A married man caught cheating would be disgraced likewise a married woman. No gender is spared...

It's high time what is sauce for the goose becomes sauce for the gander.

My piece!

Girl or woman,

Go back and read that topic well.

Who come put gender on top the topic.

Sometimes, he better make person just dey chill dey read comments.

Than to from intelligently stup1d
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by synergycom19: 10:31am On Apr 06, 2015
YourCoffin:

Sacred? What is sacred about marriage?

Well I have some respect for it, that's why we should allow it to die a peaceful death...

PThis is Satanic
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by ikennaAO(m): 10:34am On Apr 06, 2015
5minsmadness:

I want to believe that you are a product of marriage. Your parents might never have had the bravery to bring you into this world is not for the assurance of this sacred institution(marriage). Have a little respect.

No one is a product of marriage. That's not to say the institution does not have its merits but we can survive without it.
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by pickabeau1: 10:36am On Apr 06, 2015
jamillion:
not again! Wtf did u mean by marriage's overrated? Marriage is a natural phenomenon that exist btw two opposite sex. For d dumb brains that keep chanting d slogan...get over it already.

Duh

chyzyne:
[color=#770077][/color]

True talk!
No one can play a game well without first understanding the game and its rules.

God save the marriage institution.

Amen
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by ikennaAO(m): 10:40am On Apr 06, 2015
5minsmadness:
OK let's face it. Modern marriages seem to be breaking down left right and center. All this "marrying the love of your life" etc seems to have been over-rated. a few days ago i might have been ready to stick my neck out in defense of modern marriages but right now I am having a rethink.

We all know that our parents and grandparents marriages lasted much longer than what we see nowadays. we try to attribute it to lack of 'open-eye' by the women or unavailability of statistics but I don't believe any of that. I firmly believe our grandparents marriages lasted longer because they knew what marriage was about and had many advisers in the form of extended, older and well experienced family members to go to for help in any grey area.

The white man is good at giving a dog a bad name to hang it. They show statistics and stories and movies of how arranged marriages were so wrong and how people ended up miserable not marrying 'their one true love', they show pictures of arranged marriages looking like two unwilling people that were forced together. I don't believe all that propaganda either. Arranged marriages were better than what we have now and i'll tell you why.

1. Your parents made sure you were mature enough to get married. its not like nowadays when we see kids marrying and breaking up for the littlest of things. in those days parents and in fact the community assessed the husband-to-be to be sure he had matured physically and more especially mentally before picking a wife for him. The same went for the woman.
(****please note this post does not include/condone child marriages that take place in the north and in certain religions. those guys are on their own)

2. Your parents made sure you were ready financially for the marriage. In my place, the man would be given a piece of land to till and also a small hut to take care of his future family before considering marriage. So there was shelter and sustenance prepared already for you and your new wife.

3. Your parents did a thorough interview and investigating of the proposed in-laws before even considering approaching them. this included the type of family, whether they were hot-tempered, whether the girl could cook, whether they were known for fighting their spouses, whether the men beat their women, whether there was mental illness, convulsions, barrenness, courtesy, industriousness, etc. by the time they were through most times the family going to pick a bride or accept a groom knew what they were going in for.

4. Both marriage partners had clearly defined rules of what their duties were in the house. There was no crossing of boundaries and each of the partners knew what they were expected to do t make the marriage work, if they failed in their responsibilities for any reason, they could easily be reported to the immediate or extended family.

5. Last but not the least, they were usually not blinded by love not to see each others bad sides. Falling in love is sweet and all, but it really makes you not to see the fault in your partner until it is too late. IN arranged marriages the love came afterwards. and it was a more matured and tolerant kind of love and not the mushroom love we see nowadays that can barely stand the pressures of everyday misunderstandings.

I think it is high time we revived the practice of Arranged marriages in our society.

Is this sheer nativity or do you have ulterior motive to this post?
Have you tried to investigate the cause of marriage break down?
Have you asked women whose marriage were arranged how they felt about it?
You seem to be the type that judge books by their cover. It doesn't put you I a good light.

2 Likes

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 06, 2015
We cannot be true judges of arranged marriages being better than modern ones. We are not in every home to know what goes on in these marriages. We do not have all the facts. The mistake Nigerians make is to rate a marriage by its longeivity. It is not only by the quantity of years spent being married. It also includes the quality of that marriage. What sort of marriage is it? Does it include genuine love, mutual respect and communication? or is it ridden with abuse whether physical, emotional or verbal? Is the family dysfunctional? Is the family devoid of moral values? QUALITY MARRIAGES PEOPLE!!

Now during the time of our forefathers, Men and women were more honourable with higher moral values. I believe Higher moral values〓 Better meaningful marriages. Marriage is a sacred union and so our morals have a lot to do with it. That was why it was so easy to marry early and arrange husbands and wives for people. Thorough Investigations were made on individuals first. A man sees a woman he likes, he quickly does the needful and marries her. No 'test driving of any car' was made. No dating because investigations have already being carried out from both families. And the couple with time learn to love each other as a result of the good morals they have. Have it in mind that Love for your spouse is still of utmost importance in marriage. Its not the love people abuse nowadays o. Its the definition of love in the bible that is to be applied in marriages. Many people dnt know that.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by 5minsmadness: 10:44am On Apr 06, 2015
Sanguine:

#Smiles... And have you found that person with these features you mentioned?
By the way, what time of the day do you show your '5minsmadness?' Lol.
Dear, I honestly don't know. I'm liking a lot of features she posesses but I don't know if they are real or fake. Is she pretending cos of the financial stuff, can she stand the test of time? Should I pretend to be a pauper and see her response? I just don't know.

The 5mins is about to start.. Stay tuned wink
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by pak: 10:47am On Apr 06, 2015
obowunmi:
I don't know anything about love or marriage whether arranged or otherwise. What I know is that just pray.

People these days are devils disguised in human form. Prayer is the answer, prayer is the master key. marry someone who genuinely loves God and make sure you get confirmation from God before you marry.

There's nothing more painful and sorrowful than marrying the wrong person.

I'm so afraid. The things my eyes has seen. It's crazy.

I am telling you my brother, I once dated a girl who claimed someone died in their family just because she wanted to go cheat with someone else. Even though I can accept a lady can cheat , I couldn't believe she could use death as a cover-up, so I just had to deny all the evidence I saw because as I said lying about death was just too far fetched . Demons walk the earth these days
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by fr3do(m): 10:49am On Apr 06, 2015
Very entertaining thread
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by 5minsmadness: 10:56am On Apr 06, 2015
BizBloke:

I agree with the highlighted.

Beht, this arranged marriages, I no gree o. I think you [we] should match it up with the current age. Question is, 'How many arranged marriages in the 21st century have worked in comparison to the opposite?
Someone said something about Indians in the UK who still practice arranged marriages and it works out well. Two of my cousins are essentially in arranged marriages. They studied and work abroad and their mums came to naija to look for wife for them (no joke grin). They went to we'll known 'good families' and investigated the girls as throughly as they could before coming back with their results. The guys didn't even see the girls more than 2times before marriage. And nobody has heard pem from them since the wedding.
Funny enough it is my cousins that rebelled and chose wives for themselves that are having it hot in their marriages. One of them just divorced a few days ago.
Me I don dey consider the thing seriously oh grin
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 06, 2015
Vickybee:

Exactly! You don't expect marriage to last with that kind of mentality
I mostly don't speak out, but its nauseating, an eyesore, having to read your nonsense on every post I come across in this section.
Maybe the spirit is leading me to speak to you, so here ;

You are the most clueless and confused pseudo-feminist I have ever come across on this forum!

The time you spend on this forum trying to string together all those bulllsh1t in an effort to sound intelligent, you could use that time in actually learning to be intelligent.

And yes, you can do it. You know why? Cos you are not that bad. The 1diots liking your posts are way dumber.

8 Likes

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by 5minsmadness: 11:00am On Apr 06, 2015
ikennaAO:

N[b]o one is a product of marriage[/b]. That's not to say the institution does not have its merits but we can survive without it.
Are you saying your parents didn't get married before having you?
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 06, 2015
Now inspite of the higher morals we had back amongst our forefathers, some of them still married wrongly. Some homes back then had all manners of abuse. Its not everyone that would be enlightened when it comes to marriage and morals. But divorce wasnt the culture, women were always advised to endure as long as their husbands still cared for the kids. Most women were just homemakers, housewives with nothing going for their lives. There are also some exceptional households with women as breadwinners. Yes, women being breadwinners didnt start from this modern age. There were men who did nthing but drink while their wives went to farm and sell their produce.

In this modern age, most people do not find arranged marriages desirable because it could involve forcing a person to accept someone they dnt like at all. Modern age must come with a lot of changes. Economic changes have changed everything. women now work and earn money. A lot of enlightenment and education is going on now. Things of old have passed away. The bad change is our morals have gone down. Nowadays, a lot of s.ex is going on before marriage which has introduced unwanted pregnancies, stds, abortions and single motherhood. Gross infidelity is everywhere because of our fallen morals. There are too many vices going on that would disrupt marriages. also many people now marry for flimsy reasons, to show off, to please society. women could tolerate then but not now. the vices are too prevalent to do any tolerating.

Truth be told, if marriages of now are to survive, they must revive their dying morals. High morals〓 better marriages. Since we all know what destroys marriages, we have to avoid all these vices to make marriages work. The same bible that talked about love also talked about adultery. we know all these but because of our fallen morals, we ignore them. Too bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by 5minsmadness: 11:05am On Apr 06, 2015
ikennaAO:

Is this sheer nativitynaivety or do you have ulterior motive to this post?
Have you tried to investigate the cause of marriage break down?
Have you asked women whose marriage were arranged how they felt about it?
You seem to be the type that judge books by their cover. It doesn't put you in a good light.
Naivety. You r welcome.

Yes I have. I happen to be exposed to a lot of marriage issues.

Differing views. Those who were happy in their marriages had positive things to say and vice versa.

Noted, though I don't think so. Thanks.
Re: Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. by pussyphilia(m): 11:26am On Apr 06, 2015
cococandy:
Love based marriage over arranged marriage for me anyday
This is wrong Coco, the op is right! The so called love fades with time and most times people are blinded by it to see the real person.
I will give you two examples, a woman I know got married to a man who is too lazy to work and provide for his family and her reason was "love", now the "love" has cleared from her eyes and she has seen the lazy man she married. Instead of keeping quiet and carrying the cross of winning bread for the family, she now goes about telling people how lazy her husband is.
In another instance, a woman I know who married for "love" recently died out complication resulting from childbirth because the so called husband could not take the responsibility of running around to borrow money and pay for her CS until she gave up the ghost.
Most times people make the wrong choices out of infatuation and call it marrying for love.
But arranged marriages give room for other people to access the potential partners and make a better pick for the man/woman. So I agree with the Op.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

See What Happened To This Little Boy (Viewer Discretion Advised) / Nigerian Claims Ownership Of 24 Kids, Gets €22k Monthly Child Support From Germa / A Nairalander Bathing His Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.