Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,294 members, 7,826,171 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off (1748 Views)

10 Shocking Facts About The Bermuda Triangle / Hidden Meanings Behind These 10 COMMON Dreams. / Shocking Facts About Alex Ibru, Maiden Ibru, Ikeja Hotel And Other Family Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by amsoslim(m): 4:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
They call it Africa but I call it HOME. There are facts about Africa you wouldn't believe and you never knew. Below are some fascinating and shocking facts about Africa you never imagined:

1. The Gambia has only one university.

2. Equatorial Guinea is Africa’s only
spanish speaking country.

3.Samuel Eto’o is the highest paid Footballer of all time, he received about £350,000 weekly and €20million yearly.

4.A person from Botswana is called
a Motswana, the plural is Batswana. A person from Lesotho is called a
Mosotho,the plural of Mosotho is Basotho

5.Nigeria has won more football
cups than England.

6. Zimbabwe’s President, Robert Gabriel Mugabe is the world’s most educated President with 7 degrees, two of them are Masters.

7. Al-Ahly of Egypt is the richest club in Africa.

8. Didier Drogba is Chelsea’s
highest goalscorer in European competition.

9. Johannesburg, South Africa is
the most visited city in Africa.

10.. Zinedine Zidane wanted to play
for Àlgeria, but the selector rejected him, saying they are already many players like him in the team.

11. President Jacob Zuma was given a special award by Fifa for refereeing on Robben Island during his years as a political prisoner.

12. President Robert Mugabe was
jailed for 11 years for fighting for freedom.

13. President Robert Mugabe is
Africa’s oldest Head of State and the world’s second oldest Head of State. He was born in 1924.

14.Seychelles is the smallest country in Africa,it covers a total area of 453sqkm,it is also has the most educated Africans. Seychelles’ literacy rates (Adult: 92%, Youth: 99%) Zimbabwe is 2nd (Adult:
91.2%,Youth: 99%).

15. Timbuktu is the foundation of Education,it is said to have the first university in the world in the 13th century

16.Rwanda is a better country for
gender equality than England and USA.

17. Somalia got its first ATM on
October 7, 2014 and went off after 15minutes.

18. South Africa has the most Grammy award winners in Africa.

19. Africa is home for the world's most celebrated celebrity of all time,Micheal Jackson.

20. Ethiopia has the most airports in
Africa.

21.Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe is rated the 4th most poorest president in the world with a worth of $18,000.

22. Eritrea’s President, Isaias Afwerki is the least richest President in Africa.

23.Ethiopia is Africa’s oldest
independent country, it has existed for over 3,000 years without
being colonised.

24.Haile Selassie 1 was the 225th
and last Emperor of Ethiopia.

25.Nigeria has the most monarchs
in the world.

26.Angola has more Portuguese
speakers than Portugal.

27. President Jose Eduardo Dos Santos has ruled Angola since 1979.

28.George Weah of Liberia is the
first man to win World, European and African footballer of the year
in the same year.

29.Swaziland is the only remaining
absolute mornach in the world.

30.Zimbabwe is the only country in the world were almost everyone was a billionaire at one point that even a loaf of bread was sold for 6million Zim dollar.

31.Graca Machel of mozambique is the only woman in Africa who married two presidents and became a widow to the two presidents. President Samora Machel of Mozambique and Nelson Mandela of RSA respectively.

32. Luada in Angola is the most expensive city in the world.

33. What we term Civilization now started from Egypt.

34.The First Africans to play in both the English league and premiership league where Bruce Grobbelaar in of Zimbabwe in August 1981 for the liverpool club side and Peter Ndlovu in 1991 for conventry city.

35. Manchester United Football club does not have any African playing for their senior team.

36. Somalia fought the longest war against colonial power,the war which started against great Britain and Italy in 1895 until 1921 and recorded the first air strike in African Soil.

37. Somalia has the first African democratic president Adam Abdullah Osman who graciously made history as the first head of state to hand over power to a democratically elected new president Abdirashir Ali sharma arke in June 1967.

38.The world's largest diamond was the Cullinan, found in South Africa in 1905. It weighed 3,106.75 carats uncut.

39. The world's biggest hospital is in Soweto.

40. Africa would have been an estimated US $100 billion better off in 1999 if malaria had been eliminated years ago.

41. it is almost imposible to hold a small wedding in Africa. The idea of a private wedding is unknown and is greatly frowned upon. Friends and relatives expect to be invited to a wedding and to play a role in the ceremony.

42. Madagascar is the home of the worlds largest as well as the smallest chameleons. Almost half of the world’s chameleon species live on the island of Madagascar.

43.Four of the five fastest land animals live in Africa - the cheetah (70 mph), wildebeest, lion, and Thomson's gazelle (all about 50 mph).

44. The world's biggest frog is found in Cameroon. Named the goliath frog, their body can be one-foot long.

Africa is truly blessed....feel free to add yours

1 Like

Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 05, 2015
Zimbabwe has literacy level that high? Then what re they saying about Mugabe?
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by gerona: 4:27pm On Apr 05, 2015
Gambia has only one university, it makes business sense to establish a university there. Running to the bank for a loan.
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 05, 2015
I see
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by amsoslim(m): 4:33pm On Apr 05, 2015
vfactor:
Zimbabwe has literacy level that high? Then what re they saying about Mugabe?
most of Mugabe's degree are honorary

1 Like

Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 05, 2015
amsoslim:
most of Mugabe's degree are honorary

I don't mean his degrees. I mean the litracy level in his country, Zimbabwe
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by amsoslim(m): 4:35pm On Apr 05, 2015
gerona:
Gambia has only one university, it makes business sense to establish a university there. Running to the bank for a loan.
lol,u kynda sund Ibo....gues u late on tym cos my ibo friends av taken d last canoe to Gambia
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by nzeaji(m): 4:36pm On Apr 05, 2015
Number 41 is so true. I have experienced it first hand. grin grin
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 05, 2015
Imagined, Nigeria having the highest number of monarchs in the world?
I pity this country, almost its every square meter has either Oba, Emir, Eze etc., and are being paid by the government from the tax payer's money.
The president elect should as a matter of urgency scrab off all this traditional rulers to save this sinking ship called Nigeria.
I think that will catalised the most needed change.
God bless Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by amsoslim(m): 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2015
vfactor:

I don't mean his degrees. I mean the litracy level in his country, Zimbabwe
in 1980,Public education in Zimbabwe was made free and inequities from the existing colonial system lessened. Education was declared a basic human right by Robert Mugabe's incoming government and racial integration pursued.
Almost same way you could ask why is the literacy level high in the western part of Nigeria,cos almost every home has a Phd holder
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 05, 2015
Lol @no 17 and 30
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 05, 2015
amsoslim:
in 1980,Public education in Zimbabwe was made free and inequities from the existing colonial system lessened. Education was declared a basic human right by Robert Mugabe's incoming government and racial integration pursued.
Almost same way you could ask why is the literacy level high in the western part of Nigeria,cos almost every home has a Phd holder

Therefore Robert Mugabe is not as bad as he is painted to be. The inflation in Zimbabwe, I believe, is due to sanctions and embargoes placed on them by the Europeans and the USA.

1 Like

Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by KillerBeauty(f): 8:36pm On Apr 05, 2015
Africa is great
So glad that I'm an African

Let's strive hard to make Africa a safe haven for our future generations
Re: Hidden And Shocking Facts About Africa That You Never Thought Off by hahn(m): 8:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
adeitoro:
Imagined, Nigeria having the highest number of monarchs in the world?
I pity this country, almost its every square meter has either Oba, Emir, Eze etc., and are being paid by the government from the tax payer's money.
The president elect should as a matter of urgency scrab off all this traditional rulers to save this sinking ship called Nigeria.
I think that will catalised the most needed change.
God bless Nigeria

I agree totally.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Meet Boy Whose Head Hangs Upside Down Due To Mysterious Condition / Who Else Has Tried The Myer-briggs Personality Type Test? / 13-year-old Boy Accidentally Shot Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.