Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,769 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? (1740 Views)

Why Did The Guards At Tomb Of Jesus Take Money To Lie? / Nigerian Lady Visits Jesus' Birthplace & Tomb (Photos) / Jesus Christ's Tomb Opened For First Time In 500 Years - See What Is Inside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by Fortunate017(m): 6:39am On Apr 06, 2015
According to matthew 12:40; For as Jonah was 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of the fish, so the son of man will be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of heart.

I didn't see it happening exactly this way when I read the four gospels of christ in the bible, which are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Now, I am confused.
Here are the points i got.

JESUS DIED AT THE NINTH HOUR.
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John recorded this.
Matthew 27:45-50. Mark 15:34-37. Luke 23:44-46.

THE DAY AFTER THE CRUCIFICATION AND DEATH OF JESUS CHRIST WAS SABBATH.
Matthew 27:62. Mark 15:42. Luke 23:54. John 19:31.

THE DAY MARY THE MOTHER OF JESUS, MARY MAGDALENE AND OTHER WOMEN WENT TO THE TOMB AND FOUND THAT IT WAS EMPTY WAS AFTER SABBATH AND IT WAS THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John recorded this also.
Matthew 28:1. Mark 16:1-2. Luke 24:1. John 20:1.
The sabbath day could be Saturday or Sunday, depending on how you see it. But I take it to be Saturday hence the first day of the week is Sunday.
Mark 16:9 says "When Jesus rose up EARLY on the first day of the week he appeared first to mary magdalene...
Matthew 28:1; After the sabbath at DAWN on the first day of the week, mary magdalene...
John 20:1; EARLY on the first day of the week, while it was still DARK...
These mean that Jesus resurrected very early on Sunday morning, hence he did not stay up to two days but stayed two nights in the tomb.

Some people would say that he died on Thursday, Friday which is the next day cannot be called Sabbath.
If we argued that some books, chapters and verses in the bible say " ON THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD" For example, Luke 24:6-7.
To me, "On the third day" and "Three days and three nights" are two different statements. I don't know what they mean to you.

Please guys let's discuss this.
I would really appreciate if i could imbibe from your knowledge.
Thanks in advance.
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by vooks: 6:54am On Apr 06, 2015
1. 'days and nights' is a figure of speech/ an idiom for DAYS
2. Part of a day has been referred to as a whole day elsewhere

Go through this first

http://www.letusreason.org/doct10.htm
Fortunate017:
According to matthew 12:40; For as Jonah was 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of the fish, so the son of man will be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of heart.

I didn't see it happening exactly this way when I read the four gospels of christ in the bible, which are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Now, I am confused.

THE DAY MARY THE MOTHER OF JESUS, MARY MAGDALENE AND OTHER WOMEN WENT TO THE TOMB AND FOUND THAT IT WAS EMPTY WAS AFTER SABBATH AND IT WAS THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.
The sabbath day could be Saturday or Sunday, depending on how you see it. But I take it to be Saturday hence the first day of the week is Sunday.
Mark 16:9 says "When Jesus rose up EARLY on the first day of the week he appeared first to mary magdalene...
Matthew 28:1; After the sabbath at DAWN on the first day of the week, mary magdalene...
These mean that Jesus resurrected very early on Sunday morning, hence he did not stay up to two days but stayed two nights in the tomb.

Some people would say that he died on Thursday, Friday which is the next day cannot be called Sabbath.
If we argued that some books, chapters and verses in the bible say " ON THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD" For example, Luke 24:6-7.
To me, "On the third day" and "Three days and three nights" are two different statements. I don't know what they mean to you.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 06, 2015
vooks:
1. 'days and nights' is a figure of speech/ an idiom for DAYS
2. Part of a day has been referred to as a whole day elsewhere

Go through this first

http://www.letusreason.org/doct10.htm

Interesting article. I have always wondered how the discrepancy is explained. Still does not add up though, even with counting the few hours on Friday evening and early Sunday morning as full days.

Friday evening- 1day.
Friday night- 1 night.
Saturday full- 1 day.
Saturday night- 1 night.
Sunday very early morning- 1 day.

Total= 3days and 2nights. 1 night is still short.
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by vooks: 8:24am On Apr 06, 2015
Abuamam,
Pray tell me,
What part of 'three days and three nights' EQUALS 'three days' don't you understand?

Furthermore we must also note that the figure of speech, as used in Hebrew, always had the same number of days and nights. Moses fasted forty days and forty nights (Exodus 24.18). Jonah was in the whale three days and three nights (Jonah 1.17). Job's friends sat with him seven days and seven nights (Job 2.13). We can see that no Jew would have spoken of "seven days and six nights" or "three days and two nights", even if this was the period he was describing. The colloquialism always spoke of an equal number of days and nights and, if a Jew wished to speak of a period of three days which covered only two nights, he would have to speak of three days and three nights. A fine example of this is found in the Book of Esther where the queen said that no one was to eat or drink for three days, night or day (Esther 4.16), but on the third day, when only two nights had passed, she went into the king's chamber and the fast was ended.

So we see quite plainly that "three days and three nights", in Jewish terminology, did not necessarily imply a full period of three actual days and three actual nights but was simply a colloquialism used to cover any part of the first and third days.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Gilchrist/jonah.html

Abuamam:

Interesting article. I have always wondered how the discrepancy is explained. Still does not add up though, even with counting the few hours on Friday evening and early Sunday morning as full days.

Friday evening- 1day.
Friday night- 1 night.
Saturday full- 1 day.
Saturday night- 1 night.
Sunday very early morning- 1 day.

Total= 3days and 2nights. 1 night is still short.

1 Like

Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 06, 2015
vooks:
Abuamam,
Pray tell me,
What part of 'three days and three nights' EQUALS 'three days' don't you understand?

Furthermore we must also note that the figure of speech, as used in Hebrew, always had the same number of days and nights. Moses fasted forty days and forty nights (Exodus 24.18). Jonah was in the whale three days and three nights (Jonah 1.17). Job's friends sat with him seven days and seven nights (Job 2.13). We can see that no Jew would have spoken of "seven days and six nights" or "three days and two nights", even if this was the period he was describing. The colloquialism always spoke of an equal number of days and nights and, if a Jew wished to speak of a period of three days which covered only two nights, he would have to speak of three days and three nights. A fine example of this is found in the Book of Esther where the queen said that no one was to eat or drink for three days, night or day (Esther 4.16), but on the third day, when only two nights had passed, she went into the king's chamber and the fast was ended.

So we see quite plainly that "three days and three nights", in Jewish terminology, did not necessarily imply a full period of three actual days and three actual nights but was simply a colloquialism used to cover any part of the first and third days.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Gilchrist/jonah.html

Lol. Ok; if it is THAT important to you.
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by ayoku777(m): 12:25pm On Apr 06, 2015
Fortunate017:

Thanks in advance.

Over-westernization of christianity and some roman catholic errors is what is causing the confusion.

Number one; we need to know that the jewish day begins at sunset or dusk. 6pm is the beginning of a new day in judaism. So while we are still on Saturday night, judaism has entered Sunday night which is the beginning of their sunday.

Secondly, in judaism, few hours in a day or night can still be counted or reckoned as a full day or full night. That's why in the parable of the labourers; the labourers who worked for just an hour still got a whole day's wages -just like those who worked for 11hours. Because their one hour of the day was counted as a full day.

Thirdly, there are two types of sabbath in judaism, the high sabbath and the normal sabbath. The normal sabbath is the day of rest that is held on the seventh day of every week; that is, saturday. While the high sabbath is an imposed day of rest because of an important feast, whether it falls on saturday or not.

Now the day of the feast of unleavened bread (the day after the passover) was a high sabbath (Lev 23v6-7)

This is the major mistake we make. The day after Jesus died was a sabbath, and the day before He rose was also a sabbath. Because of that we always think it was just one day.

No there were two sabbaths between when Jesus died and when He rose. The high sabbath of the unleavened bread and the normal sabbath of the seventh day of the week.

Meaning that Jesus was crucified on a Thursday not Friday; then friday and saturday were sabbath and sabbath. Then He rose on sunday.

Let me try and do the timeline. I wish I could put in a tabular form. Hope you will understand it this way sha.

Jesus died and was buried between 3pm to 6pm
Daytime of the 5th day of the week in Judaism but our own Thursday evening.
- Day one

6pm to 6am (feast of unleavened bread starts; which is a high sabbath)
Night-time of the 6th day of the week in Judaism but our own Thursday night
-Jesus was still in the grave - Night one

6am to 6pm (still feast of unleavened bread, and high sabbath)
Daytime of the 6th day of the week in Judaism but our own Friday morning
-Jesus was still in the grave - Day two

6pm to 6am (normal sabbath)
Night-time of the 7th day of the week in Judaism but our own Friday night
-Jesus still in the grave - Night two

6am to 6pm (normal sabbath)
Daytime of the 7th day of the week in Judaism but our own Saturday morning:
-Jesus still in the grave - Day three

Between 6pm to 6am
Night of the first day of the week in Judaism but our own Saturday night: (Day after the sabbath) -Jesus still in the grave and then arose - Night three

Let me put it using only our own calender:

Between 3pm to 6pm Thursday evening -Day 1 (Jesus died and was buried)

6pm to 6am Thursday night -Night 1 (in the grave)

6am to 6pm Friday morning -Day 2 (in the grave)

6pm to 6am Friday night -Night 2 (in the grave)

6am to 6pm Saturday morning -Day 3 (in the grave)

Between 6pm to 6am Saturday night -Night 3 (in the grave; and then rose)

Sunday - appeared to the women and the apostles.

Hope this helps.

God bless you.
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 07, 2015
ayoku777:

Over-westernization of christianity and some roman catholic errors is what is causing the confusion.

Number one; we need to know that the jewish day begins at sunset or dusk. 6pm is the beginning of a new day in judaism. So while we are still on Saturday night, judaism has entered Sunday night which is the beginning of their sunday.

Secondly, in judaism, few hours in a day or night can still be counted or reckoned as a full day or full night. That's why in the parable of the labourers; the labourers who worked for just an hour still got a whole day's wages -just like those who worked for 11hours. Because their one hour of the day was counted as a full day.

Thirdly, there are two types of sabbath in judaism, the high sabbath and the normal sabbath. The normal sabbath is the day of rest that is held on the seventh day of every week; that is, saturday. While the high sabbath is an imposed day of rest because of an important feast, whether it falls on saturday or not.

Now the day of the feast of unleavened bread (the day after the passover) was a high sabbath (Lev 23v6-7)

This is the major mistake we make. The day after Jesus died was a sabbath, and the day before He rose was also a sabbath. Because of that we always think it was just one day.

No there were two sabbaths between when Jesus died and when He rose. The high sabbath of the unleavened bread and the normal sabbath of the seventh day of the week.

Meaning that Jesus was crucified on a Thursday not Friday; then friday and saturday were sabbath and sabbath. Then He rose on sunday.

Let me try and do the timeline. I wish I could put in a tabular form. Hope you will understand it this way sha.

Jesus died and was buried between 3pm to 6pm
Daytime of the 5th day of the week in Judaism but our own Thursday evening.
- Day one

6pm to 6am (feast of unleavened bread starts; which is a high sabbath)
Night-time of the 6th day of the week in Judaism but our own Thursday night
-Jesus was still in the grave - Night one

6am to 6pm (still feast of unleavened bread, and high sabbath)
Daytime of the 6th day of the week in Judaism but our own Friday morning
-Jesus was still in the grave - Day two

6pm to 6am (normal sabbath)
Night-time of the 7th day of the week in Judaism but our own Friday night
-Jesus still in the grave - Night two

6am to 6pm (normal sabbath)
Daytime of the 7th day of the week in Judaism but our own Saturday morning:
-Jesus still in the grave - Day three

Between 6pm to 6am
Night of the first day of the week in Judaism but our own Saturday night: (Day after the sabbath) -Jesus still in the grave and then arose - Night three

Let me put it using only our own calender:

Between 3pm to 6pm Thursday evening -Day 1 (Jesus died and was buried)

6pm to 6am Thursday night -Night 1 (in the grave)

6am to 6pm Friday morning -Day 2 (in the grave)

6pm to 6am Friday night -Night 2 (in the grave)

6am to 6pm Saturday morning -Day 3 (in the grave)

Between 6pm to 6am Saturday night -Night 3 (in the grave; and then rose)

Sunday - appeared to the women and the apostles.

Hope this helps.

God bless you.

Please don't insult our intelligence. If he was crucified and died on Thursday, then the rush to bury him before the Sabbath (according to the bible) would not have been valid, because they could have easily had time to bury him anytime on Friday. The op has already pointed this out.
Fortunate017:

Besides, if he died and was buried before 6pm on Thursday, then what are you marking Good Friday for?
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by ayoku777(m): 7:33am On Apr 07, 2015
Abuamam:

Please don't insult our intelligence. If he was crucified and died on Thursday, then the rush to bury him before the Sabbath (according to the bible) would not have been valid, because they could have easily had time to bury him anytime on Friday. The op has already pointed this out.

Besides, if he died and was buried before 6pm on Thursday, then what are you marking Good Friday for?

Its obvious you were so in a hurry to reply you didn't read the part where I said, the day after Jesus died (unleavened bread) was a high sabbath; and the day after that is also a sabbath.

So its;

Thursday (Passover and crucifiction)

Friday (unleavened bread and high sabbath)

Saturday (normal sabbath)

Sunday (resurrection)

They had to bury Jesus quickly because they can't bury the dead on a high sabbath either; and besides they also needed to go home and prepare the unleavened bread for the next day; which was a high sabbath.

Luke 23v53-54 -And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

The next day was a sabbath; and so was the day after.

As for why good friday is celebrated instead of good thursday. I'm not to blame for errors that became traditions in the church.

So many things have become traditions in the church; that were never really practised by the early church or first century believers.

Doctrines like trinity, tithing, etc that have become mainstream in the church now had no reference in the early church.

But whether we celebrate and call it good friday or best thursday doesn't matter or affect our salvation; the message we are celebrating is what matters. As long as we believe He died for our sins and rose for our justification; that's the most important.

God bless.
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by udatso: 10:54am On Apr 07, 2015
ayoku777:

Its obvious you were so in a hurry to reply you didn't read the part where I said, the day after Jesus died (unleavened bread) was a high sabbath; and the day after that is also a sabbath.

So its;

Sunday (resurrection)

They had to bury Jesus quickly because they can't bury the dead on a high sabbath either; and besides they also needed to go home and prepare the unleavened bread for the next day; which was a high sabbath.

Luke 23v53-54 -And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

As for why good friday is celebrated instead of good thursday. I'm not to blame for errors that became traditions in the church.

So many things have become traditions in the church; that were never really practised by the early church or first century believers.

Doctrines like trinity, tithing, etc that have become mainstream in the church now had no reference in the early church.

But whether we celebrate and call it good friday or best thursday doesn't matter or affect our salvation; the message we are celebrating is what matters. As long as we believe He died for our sins and rose for our justification; that's the most important.

God bless.

I didn't know there are two sabath. This is getting interesting. Could you please give reference to support the claim that Friday is a high sabath? Your leveticus 23: 6-7 doesn't mention Friday as a high sabbath. Here is what it says ‘Then on the fifteenth day of the same month there is the aFeast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.
7 ‘On the first day you shall have a holy convocation; you shall anot do any laborious work.
. Even if we are to agree there is a high sabbath according to your interpretation, then, it would mean that the high sabbath can be any day besides Saturday. So I need evidence to support Friday as a high sabbath
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by udatso: 10:56am On Apr 07, 2015
ayoku777:

So its;

Sunday (resurrection)

God bless.

I didn't know there are two sabath. This is getting interesting. Could you please give reference to support the claim that Friday is a high sabath? Your leveticus 23: 6-7 doesn't mention Friday as a high sabbath. Here is what it says ‘Then on the fifteenth day of the same month there is the aFeast of Unleavened Bread to the Lord; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.
7 ‘On the first day you shall have a holy convocation; you shall anot do any laborious work.
. Even if we are to agree there is a high sabbath according to your interpretation, then, it would mean that the high sabbath can be any day besides Saturday. So I need evidence to support Friday as a high sabbath. Let's try not to bundle up ourselves trying to explain something that is very clear
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by ayoku777(m): 11:28am On Apr 07, 2015
udatso:

. Even if we are to agree there is a high sabbath according to your interpretation, then, it would mean that the high sabbath can be any day besides Saturday. So I need evidence to support Friday as a high sabbath. Let's try not to bundle up ourselves trying to explain something that is very clear

Its not just you, many christians don't know that there are sabbaths that don't fall on saturday. The first and seventh day of the feast of unleavened bread are sabbaths; no matter the day of the week they fall on. The first and last day of the feast of Tabernacle are also sabbaths, no matter the day of the week they fall on. Sabbath means "rest day"

Any day the feast of unleavened bread falls on is a high sabbath. The feast of unleavened bread takes place the day after passover. And it is a sabbath, no matter the day of the week it falls on. And you can't do any servile work on that day like bury the dead or pound the wheat etc.

I didn't say every friday is a sabbath. I said the day after passover (unleavened bread) is always a sabbath.

The verse I gave up there is clear enough.
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2015
ayoku777:

Its not just you, many christians don't know that there are sabbaths that don't fall on saturday. The first and seventh day of the feast of unleavened bread are sabbaths; no matter the day of the week they falls on. The first and last day of the feast of Tabernacle are also sabbaths, no matter the day of the week they fall on.

Any day the feast of unleavened bread falls on is a high sabbath. The feast of unleavened bread takes place the day after passover. And it is a sabbath, no matter the day of the week it falls on. And you can't do any servile work on that day like bury the dead or pound the wheat etc.

I didn't say every friday is a sabbath. I said the day after passover (unleavened bread) is always a sabbath.

The verse I gave up there is clear enough.

There are too many problems with a Thursday crucifixion. Perhaps this analysis would help...

http://biblelight.net/pasover.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by ayoku777(m): 12:26pm On Apr 07, 2015
Abuamam:

There are too many problems with a Thursday crucifixion. Perhaps this analysis would help...

http://biblelight.net/pasover.htm

I've read the article and there are errors there.

First he said servile work means work with wages. That's wrong. Servile work means any laborious work; whether it has wages or not.

Secondly; he said; that the women rested on the sabbath "according to the commandment" meant it was the saturday sabbath of the ten commandments, not the feast sabbath.

That's also not true. The instruction to rest on the feast sabbath was as much a commandment as the instruction to rest on the saturday sabbath. So resting on the sabbath "according to the commandment" implied both the feast sabbath and the saturday sabbath.

Thirdly; he said only friday is called the preparation day. Wrong again. Any day preceding a sabbath (a rest day) is a preparation day. Because you need to quickly do that day what you were forbidden to do on the sabbath.

Fridays is commonly called the preparation day; because it always preceeds the saturday sabbath. Even so, preparation day in essence is any day that preceeds a sabbath. Whether feast sabbath or saturday sabbath.
Re: How Many Days And Nights Did Jesus Stay In The Tomb? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 07, 2015
ayoku777:

I've read the article and there are errors there.

First he said servile work means work with wages. That's wrong. Servile work means any laborious work; whether it has wages or not.

Secondly; he said; that the women rested on the sabbath "according to the commandment" meant it was the saturday sabbath, not the feast sabbath.

That's also not true. The instruction to rest on the feast sabbath was as much a commandment as the instruction to rest on the saturday sabbath. So resting on the sabbath "according to the commandment" implied both the feast sabbath and the saturday sabbath.

Thirdly; he said only friday is called the preparation day. Wrong again. Any day preceding a sabbath (a rest day) is a preparation day. Because you need to quickly do that day what you were forbidden to do on the sabbath.

Fridays is commonly called the preparation day; because it always preceeds the saturday sabbath. Even so, preparation day in essence is any day that preceeds a sabbath. Whether feast sabbath or saturday sabbath.

Ok. If you say so.

(1) (Reply)

Which Thread, Topic Or Person You Enjoy Here? / Jesus, the Son Of God, Is The Sun Of Righteousness / Top 5 Websites To Download Nigerian Gospel Music (2019)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.