Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,963 members, 7,841,698 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University (1035 Views)

Boko Haram Displays Arms Captured After Attacking Yobe Town - Terror Monitor / Al -shabaab Trains Boko Haram - Somalia's President / Rivers APC Labels State Deputy Governor “Modern Judas” For Attacking Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by wheesin(m): 8:32am On Apr 06, 2015
[b]Al-Shabaab says its recent wave of attacks are retribution for Kenya sending troops into Somalia to fight the group alongside other African Union peacekeepers.

The group, which at one point controlled most of Somalia, has lost swaths of territory in recent years but diplomats have repeatedly warned this has not diminished al-Shabaab’s ability to stage guerrilla-style attacks at home and abroad.

Survivors of the Garissa attack spoke of merciless executions by the attackers, who stalked classrooms and dormitories hunting for non-Muslim students.

Reuben Mwavita, 21, a student, said he saw three female students kneeling in front of the gunmen, begging for mercy.

“The mistake they made was to say ‘Jesus, please save us’, because that is when they were immediately shot,” Mwavita said.

Many students fled into the sandy scrubland, scaling barbed-wire fences and jumping off buildings, often half-naked, as they were awoken by the sound of gunfire and explosions.

“The attackers were just in the next room. I heard them ask people whether they were Christian or Muslim, then I heard gunshots and screams,” said Susan Kitoko, 24, who broke her hip when she jumped out of the first floor window of her dorm.

Within hours of the attack, Kenya put up a 20m shillings (£145,000) reward for the arrest of Mohamed Mohamud, a former Garissa teacher labelled “Most Wanted” in a government poster and linked by Kenyan media to two separate al-Shabaab attacks in the neighbouring Mandera region last year.

The government also imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew on Garissa, Mandera and two other crime-ridden regions near the porous border with Somalia.

However, diplomats and analysts say the move effectively concedes the government cannot control those areas, widely seen as Kenya’s soft underbelly.

As such, al-Shabaab is likely to continue its strategy of attacking “low risk and high reward” soft targets in marginalised parts of the country, according to Ahmed Salim, a senior associate at Teneo Intelligence.
[/b]

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/04/death-toll-from-kenyan-university-massacre-expected-to-rise

Men i really feel terrible for kenya right now, the trauma and everything, although we also have gone through worse. I pray for strength for the world to defeat this cancer that has manifested upon us. AMEN

Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by shaddi(m): 8:36am On Apr 06, 2015
I didn't read the reasons cos They have no reason for this act... Its barbaric

Rip to the dead
We shall meet in heaven.
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by delishpot: 8:38am On Apr 06, 2015
Na wa o.
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by abubaka101: 8:40am On Apr 06, 2015
The University community is located somehow close to the Somali border. And reports claimed the University was in danger, prior to this attack.
But still the Kenyan govt didn't provide enough security. A mere two policemen were stationed at the school.
It's sad. RIP to the dead.
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by dipopooo(m): 8:47am On Apr 06, 2015
Hmmm islam...

I reserve my comment till d topic hints fp
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by mmbm1819(m): 9:09am On Apr 06, 2015
am just fed up of dis shits they be doing
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by Chazzyboy: 10:01am On Apr 06, 2015
Let peace take place
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by mekadinho(f): 10:07am On Apr 06, 2015
REST IN PEACE TO THE DEAD.
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by Lilyomi(f): 11:55am On Apr 06, 2015
God help the bereaved. Ders only one reason I can giv for da act: cowardness. God in no religion advises killing. He loves whom he created. This is not for religion. Sheer wickedness.
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by loomer: 2:06pm On Apr 06, 2015
Make I no talk
Re: Al-shabaab's Reason For Attacking Kenyan Garissa University by coolhamid(m): 2:39pm On Apr 06, 2015
Karma has a way of paying back....

RIP to the dead..

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Must Address The Injustice Meted To Us During The Civil War – Ohanaeze / I’m Not Afraid Of Buhari’s Probe – Okonjo- Iweala Boast! / When Aba Calls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.