Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,940 members, 7,848,785 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 10:20 AM

Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. (1327 Views)

Breaking News!! Ebola Kills Nigerian Nurse who treated the liberian victim. / Boko Haram Kills Nigerian Army Captain, Eight Months After His Wedding (PICS) / Boko Haram Kills Nigerian Army Captain Eight Months After His Wedding(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by BOSS7: 9:15am On Jan 26, 2009
[center]Crash kills Nigerian footballers  [/center]

Police in Nigeria say 15 members of a local government football team have been killed in a road accident in central Plateau state.

The Nigeria Football Federation head, Mohamed Sanusi, said the team had been on their way to play a match in Abuja.

A similar incident in the same area last month killed at least nine female football players.

Correspondents say Nigeria's roads are among the most dangerous in the world, killing thousands of people every year.

Mr Sanusi said the team, FC Jimeta from north-east Adamawa state, had been heading to the capital for a professional league match when their bus was involved in an accident.

He told AFP news agency that 11 players had died at the scene while four others died in hospital. Two other injured players were said to be "on the danger list".

"It is really another very sad day for Nigerian football," said Mr Sanusi.

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7850271.stm
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by BOSS7: 9:24am On Jan 26, 2009
It's getting better so they say. But the average amount of people killed by road accidents in the last 10years in comparison to today hasn't really changed  has it? These are promising talents again wasted by the ineffective governments.

There could be a future "world footballer of the year" among those killed and now his dream is gone. Who knows? Just waiting for when my country would sit back and just do the easiest thing and that is THINK!
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by Jarus(m): 10:33am On Jan 26, 2009
Another sad day for Nigerian sports. I remember reading simlar story a couple of months ago about a LG female football team,also in Plateau state, that had accident in Jos recently killing the female footballers and their coach who had gone to represent their LG in a competition
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by ilaugh1: 10:42am On Jan 26, 2009
when drivers are reckless on the roads and accidents happen - they say it is the fault of the government, even when the roads are good and free, they say it is because of bad roads and blame government - na wa o-. I have been in Abuja for almost three weeks, Abuja roads are one of the best in the world, yet, accidents happen here every sinlge day since I have been here - yet, people who know nothing, people who are out to talk just for the sake of talking, they come here and write what they know nothing about - is bad road the only cause of road accidents worldwide?
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by oderemo(m): 10:52am On Jan 26, 2009
is bad road the only cause of road accidents worldwide[tt][/tt][code][/code]

in as much as people are seriously ignorant of road management, awareness, and want to be stupid on the road every second accident then and again this is bound to happen , which is same on that KUBWA MAIN ROAD every day, but the point still remain that our roads are dangerous to the xtreme.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by BOSS7: 11:23am On Jan 26, 2009
ode remo:

is bad road the only cause of road accidents worldwide[tt][/tt][code][/code]

in as much as people are seriously ignorant of road management, awareness, and want to be stupid on the road every second accident then and again this is bound to happen , which is same on that KUBWA MAIN ROAD every day, but the point still remain that our roads are dangerous to the xtreme.

You should only read his (i_laugh but I call him i_clown) past comments, he truly expresses his blind patriotism in the hope of loving Nigeria not actually realising that he’s one of Nigeria’s greatest enemy by not being able to call a spade what it is – spade.

His virtual meaningless and unhelpful rants regarding people who actually take their time to type the bitter and honest truth speaks volumes about the kind of person he is.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by ikeyman00(m): 11:30am On Jan 26, 2009
this ilegal fellows in oversea! una wahala 2 much
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by AloyEmeka9: 11:37am On Jan 26, 2009
that's an understatement. Our roads are secret graves.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by bindex(m): 1:49pm On Jan 26, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

that's an understatement. Our roads are secret graves.

Very true.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by lucabrasi(m): 1:50pm On Jan 26, 2009
i_laugh:

when drivers are reckless on the roads and accidents happen - they say it is the fault of the government, even when the roads are good and free, they say it is because of bad roads and blame government - na wa o-. I have been in Abuja for almost three weeks, Abuja roads are one of the best in the world, yet, accidents happen here every sinlge day since I have been here - yet, people who know nothing, people who are out to talk just for the sake of talking, they come here and write what they know nothing about - is bad road the only cause of road accidents worldwide?
spot on!!GOD bless you
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by SkyBlue1: 1:57pm On Jan 26, 2009
i_laugh:

@i_laugh are you actually seriousy trying to use Abuja as a benchmark measurement for development in the whole of Nigeria? Abuja is actually more of an "un-Nigerian" city in that it is an exception to what partains everywhere else so no need to lecture on development in Abuja since i have seen what is going on there. The article said the footballers were "on their way to play a match in Abuja" so it does not say they were driving in Abuja's 'exception to the rule' federal good roads. In the first line of the article it says the accident occured in Plateau state. So do you know the quality of roads in Plateua state? Isn't the lagos-benin road a federal road. How many federal roads have been built since the emergence of the new "democracy" and how much money has been provided by the budget for such? Sure there are issues of "Nigerian driving" we could all speculate because such exist but let it not be used as a means of white washing over the issue of neglect in provision of basic infrastructure and maintenance.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by tpia: 2:51pm On Jan 26, 2009
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by cre8tivity(f): 3:15pm On Jan 26, 2009
we all know that 80% of the roads are bad; i think it is a basic common sense for drivers to drive with care when driving through these bad roads. we can not only blame the roads or the government alone, drivers in nigeria should pay more attention and obey the rules and regulations. furthermore, things would also get better if the npf starts doing their jobs instead of busy collecting bribe on the streets of nigeria.
this problem is made up of combination of rubbish from every angle, everyone must do their part to get this nation out of darkness.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by tpia: 3:54pm On Jan 26, 2009
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Jan 26, 2009
Even the best drivers in the world make mistakes. The quality of the road usually determines how bad that mistake turns out. Trying to excuse the situation by claiming it is the drivers fault is just absurd. The article does not in any way claim the driver was driving recklessly and neither does it say the driver in similar incident prior was also a reckless driver.

May the souls of these fallen Nigerians rest in peace.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by hajifaty: 4:31pm On Jan 26, 2009
i_laugh:

Mr I_laugh, don't u ever think twice before you write down your pro-govt comments here? When pple are thinking in a reasonable way but u seems to think the other way. You said, you were back to naija recently, well noone know where you are coming from. Is this how pple get killed due to bad roads in abroad? are u  coming from afganistan? You were the only one that sees xmas lights as a development in nigeria. Whose knows,maybe you are one of agents of our devilish govts huh. we are talking about lost of lifes here but u are putting up jagons here. What a hell are u doing in Abuja? I guess,u are there to get ur share of the ill gotten wealths from ur so called good govt. You don't seem to be what u called yourself,you are just a bush man. JJC
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by tpia: 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2009
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by ilaugh1: 4:47pm On Jan 26, 2009
hajifaty:

Mr I_laugh, don't u ever think twice before you write down your pro-govt comments here? When pple are thinking in a reasonable way but u seems to think the other way. You said, you were back to naija recently, well noone know where you are coming from. Is this how pple get killed due to bad roads in abroad? are u coming from afganistan? You were the only one that sees xmas lights as a development in nigeria. Whose knows,maybe you are one of agents of our devilish govts huh. we are talking about lost of lifes here but u are putting up jagons here. What a hell are u doing in Abuja? I guess,u are there to get ur share of the ill gotten wealths from ur so called good govt. You don't seem to be what u called yourself,you are just a bush man. JJC

is this the best reply you can concur or conjure from your stupid mind? You need to go back to school, i just found out the problem with you and your likes is the fact t aht you cant read and understand, you are so backwards and your mind is so stupid that you fail to read properly and understand. I therefore see it as a waste of time repying to you, you need to learn the english language so you can read and understand what i write instead of opening your mouth wide to shout, but in case you are realy pissed with me and Nigeria and Nigerian government, why not jump in front of the next moving car that passes by your house? In that case you will be free from these "evils" which you see and write so much about in Nigeria, that is you can go to hell for what I care, kappish.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:59am On Jan 27, 2009
That road from Jos-Akwanga is in fine shape. I hope it is not that road, but i have a feeling it is indeed that one.
It does tend to bend like a snake so it is very dangerous if one is driving at extreme speeds. (moving from mountains of plateau down to lower earth)

Due to the road being one lane in each direction care must be taken when over-taking other slower vehicles.
I have seen a lot of wreckage on my way to and fro abuja due to reckless driving, this time we can not blame it on the roads.

That road is in fine shape with no potholes and such. The fact that it twists and turns should alight drivers to be more cautious.
Only problem is that here in Nigeria we do not know what caution is  It's like what do we blame crashes in airplanes on, bad air?
God rest their souls
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by princekevo(m): 6:51am On Jan 27, 2009
Na waooh,
May their gentle souls rest in peace
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by Jakumo(m): 7:18am On Jan 27, 2009
May I suggest that to improve travel safety in Nigeria, the country's teeming Juju believers should simply turn into pigeons and fly to their respective destinations. Police check-point extortionists can also be frustrated with this simple Juju-Voodoo magic modality, at least up till the point when the police acquire the talismans needed to conjure themselves into pigeon-eating eagles.
Re: Crash Kills Nigerian Footballers. by RichyBlacK(m): 9:26am On Jan 27, 2009
May their souls rest in peace. Amen.

(1) (Reply)

The Medal That John Lennon Refused Partly Because Of Biafra / How Will You "celebrate" October 1st? / Breaking News: Ibori's Mistress Loses Case In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.