Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

The Right Way To Train A Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The Right Way To Train A Dog (1176 Views)

How Do I Train A Dragon? / Just Got Myself A Baby Parrot;need Tips On How To Train It / How Much Does It Cost To Train A Dog? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Right Way To Train A Dog by uchpanila(m): 8:07pm On Apr 07, 2015
what is the right way to train or correct a dog when he or she does something wrong? A friend of mine usually beats or flogs his dog when he does anything bad, so am now asking is it the right thing to do or is there any other way that is better?
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 07, 2015
Give it a cold shoulder when it is wrong and it will desist from doing that next time. Dogs are sensitive.

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by Seun(m): 9:29pm On Apr 07, 2015
Beating a dog is completely bad. It's cruel but also stupid because it doesn't work and isn't necessary. Dogs don't understand why you are beating them. Let us know exactly what the dog did wrong and we will show you how you can teach the dog to do the right thing without any beatings.
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by bigt2(m): 11:00pm On Apr 07, 2015
barrnchedo:
Give it a cold shoulder when it is wrong and it will desist from doing that next time. Dogs are sensitive.
what is the gesture of the so called cold shoulder?
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by uchpanila(m): 5:54am On Apr 08, 2015
it's just 4 months old, whenever it is released from the chain destroying things and again after drinking water he will waste the rest on the floor he's fund of that and some other things too
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 08, 2015
bigt2:
what is the gesture of the so called cold shoulder?
Don't smile, don't play, fold your arms. Talk to it also.
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by mayorall(m): 9:26am On Apr 08, 2015
uchpanila:
it's just 4 months old, whenever it is released from the chain destroying things and again after drinking water he will waste the rest on the floor he's fund of that and some other things too

Sorry to say, You have an actively stubborn dog. You need to handle him with Iron hands. Catch him in the act so you can correct him.

Destroying things isn't intentional, Just playing and exercising her strength. Get her a tennis ball and big bones to keep her busy.
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by doeying(m): 9:48am On Apr 08, 2015
....well, there are subtle ways of handling a lot of things....

its 4 months and so it has a LOT of energy... so for the destroying things part....research would tell you that your dog is bored and is trying to let out its energy and solutions would be to get another playmate for him or toys that would keep him both motivated and busy...

as for the turning over of the water bowl, well, i think you should change the bowl to one that is slightly deeper(not so deep that it would choke him while drinking) but deep enough that he cant turn it over and please wash your bowls everytime....everytime...

usually, i am sure your friend flogs the dog long after he has poured the water and forgotten so the dog gets confused as to why he is being flogged,,,so what i would advise to to wait wit the dog and that moment when it is about to turn over the bowl,,,you shout "NO!!" sternly,,,the dog becomes confused and tries it again ,,,,you shout your "no!!" and distract it by either telling it to sit or do another thing apart from playing,,,,now,,,this is not a job for one meal or one day,,,it takes patience till the dog fully understand that it is the pouring of water that is wrong.....

my 2 cents,,,,

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by JustPets: 10:11am On Apr 08, 2015
uchpanila:

A couple of things;
1. A four months old pup should not even be on a tie down for extended periods
2. That dog is not getting avenues to burn energy off (walking, ball catching, etc)
3. The pup has figured out that the only way she gets your attention is by doing all that stuff

You do not have a bad dog on your hands, what you do have is a leadership problem. You need to research more about dog behavior/pack leadership
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by Prodeegee(m): 2:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
Some research you should done before getting your dog..

Lemme see the lovely dog jare...And greet him welldone
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by bigt2(m): 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2015
barrnchedo:
Don't smile, don't play, fold your arms. Talk to it also.
wow. Works for kids too.
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by megasamuel(m): 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2015
How do you talk to a dog?
Re: The Right Way To Train A Dog by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2015
bigt2:
wow. Works for kids too.
sure

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Boerboel Can't Move It's Hind Legs / Give Away / What If Animals Were Round?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.